“Top place to spend some island time” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Deco Stop Lodge

Deco Stop Lodge
Brisbane, Australia
“Top place to spend some island time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

I love love LOVE this place. I've stayed here many times and it's such a beautiful spot that's managed by some beautiful people. So many positives...rooms are beautiful with fresh flowers everyday. All the staff are wonderful at Deco. The steaks are absolutely Devine!!! The view is amazing at sunset. Loved it!!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Katherine C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

We visited in 2010 and enjoyed the place so much, particularly the lovely ni-Van staff, we decided to return in 2011. There was an obvious mix up with the room when we booked in but to Kim’s credit, she immediately rectified this the following morning after we approached her - great service. The Australian family that run Deco Stop (Ben & Kim) are very helpful and knowledgeable about the area and things to see and do. Free wi-fi was a bonus for kids with electronic devices!!! An older budget facility to be recommended.

Room Tip: Request rooms 1 to 11.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

I spent 5 nights in Deco Stop as a solo traveller there to do some diving. Ben and Kim and the rest of the staff are so friendly and helpful. It is a small, quiet place, perfectly set up for divers, but there were also families and couples staying there while I was, and all seemed happy.
I booked into a dorm room at a reasonable rate, and had it all to myself for most of the trip, sharing with one other person on the last night, so that worked out well!
Firstly, booking was so easy. I communicated with Ben by email and booked directly with him. I paid in advance by online transfer from my Australian bank account to theirs. This avoided ATM charges or the 5% credit card charge. They also allowed me to pay my room tab this way at the end of the trip.
Kim picked me up at the airport with a warm welcome and I was impressed arriving at Deco Stop to see the amazing view, and the lovely garden, deck and pool and restaurant area. Kim introduced me to other guests lounging around the pool, all of whom she knew by name, and I was soon lounging by the pool with a cocktail chatting to my new friends (who I ended up going diving with and enjoying drinks and dinner with throughout the week).
The room itself was clean and nicely decorated with flowers on the first day. Some people used to fancy hotels might find it basic but I loved it. The single bed was comfortable enough. There was a ceiling fan, overhead lights and reading lights, handy in a dorm. There was fresh cold water in the fridge each day (drinkable. don't worry!) and tea bags and instant coffee every day. The shower was hot and powerful. There was also a clothes airer which I used daily to dry wet swimmers etc. They provide a laundry service as well, which I didn't use.
The dive locker is padlocked and secure with ample room to rinse and hang out gear each day. I was delighted that the 24 hour "no fly" period dried my gear enough to pack it.
The complimentary breakfast of cereal, fruit and toast was plentiful and nice. You could order cooked breakfast for an additional cost. Lunches and dinners were delicious and the dinner menu changed daily.Everything tasted fresh. Prices similar to Australia. The bar was also good with local beers and house wines reasonably priced and delicious cocktails.
The Deco Stop is uphill from the main town of Luganville. The town itself is very quiet and small but it does have ATMs, a small supermarket and a couple of places to get lunch or dinner if you can tear yourself away from the Deco Stop menu. (The food was so good I mostly ate there). Taxis are easy to hail and cheap, but its certainly not too far to walk.
Activites are easy to arrange. I dived with Allan Power which I booked, by phone from Deco Stop, when I arrived. You can do a wide range of guided day trips which the staff are happy to book for you (hiking / snorkelling / beach... there was loads I didn't get time to do!). A group staying the same time as me hired a mini bus for the day while I hired a scooter for a half day. Kim gave me a driving lesson (I can drive a car but it was my first time on a scooter!), directions and a map, recommendations of good places to stop, and even a cash advance of Vatu which got added to my tab.
On the last day I was given late check out so I was able to really enjoy my last day and have a shower before packing and being dropped off for my evening flight at the airport with hugs all round.
All in all, I had a wonderful time at Deco Stop. As a solo traveller Ben and Kim helped me feel welcome, get to know people and sorted out my every need. The local staff are all very friendly and helpful too. I would recommend it very highly.

Negatives: The landline phone wasn't working for guest use while I was there, although Ben did drive me into town to try to find a payphone that worked. We failed! Both that I found were broken!

Room Tip: There are rooms facing out over the garden which have one door opening onto a beautiful view of the...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Sinead C
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

Ben and Kim do a great job running this place. It is so well set up for divers. The meals were lovely and varied. Just a short walk to 'town'. Beautiful views. What more could you want?! Oh, and the free wi-fi was a bonus!
I stayed here whilst diving the Coolidge, which was spectacular. If you are planning on diving in Santo, check recent TripAdvisor reports.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

Stayed here in 2010 for one month as part of a round-world trip, Deco was fantastic, and the staff were amazingly friendly and helpful. Very close to the hospital, and a short (10-12 minute) hill walk to Luganville main street. Oh!- and the food is some of the best on the Island (alongside Lope Lope), with desserts to literally die for!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

Ben and Kim are great hosts and our stay in Deco Stop was much better than the very expensive hotel we stayed at in Vila. The Deco food and service was the best we found anywhere in Vanuatu and the relaxed atmosphere was perfect for our young family. We met some great new friends and would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Mount Isa, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2011

We enjoyed 4 nights at Deco Stop Lodge in May this year. Our fan cooled family room was basic, clean and comfortable. No need to use the fan as the elevated position catches the sea breeze. The views from Deco Stop are great. The staff are very happy, helpful and friendly. We hired scooters from Deco Stop and rode up the coast to Port Orly, this was lots of fun. We dined on the deck every evening. The meals deserve special mention as they were consistantly of a high standard and reasonably priced. Thank you to Ben and Kim (owners) who were on hand to offer advice and book our tours etc. Our only regret is that our stay was too short.

Room Tip: Talk to Ben and Kim when booking.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple