Highfield Hotel
US$78
Lumley Castle Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$100
US$93
US$155
Hallgarth Manor House(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$86
US$77
Priceline
Bannatyne Hotel Durham(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$60
US$54
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Newcastle (Washington) Hotel(Washington)(Great Value!)
US$84
US$71
US$48
US$45
US$96
Seaham Hall(Seaham)
US$461
All reviewsthai restauranta family run hotelpenshaw monumentdual carriagewaydurham areagood sizebar mealsspecial offerbreakfast is servedslept really wellrooms are clean and comfortablehotel staypriced hotelsky sportsbed and breakfasttravel lodgetea and coffee
Reviewed 5 December 2012

I take to task the comment of one reviewer who states the Highfield is overated - What were they expecting at the price - the Ritz!!! A review has to be comparable with what's being charged - you wouldn't expect haute cuisine at MacDonalds prices so lets be real here! The Highfield is an excellent value hotel for business people on a budget (that's me when I stay here). So yes - the McDonalds of hotels where it compares very well with Premier Inns and Travel lodges on quality and beats them hands down on value! And generally, all you get with a Travel lodge in the way of food is a Little Chef next door! Rooms are modern, clean with tea making facilities, en suite etc and more importantly - warm despite very cold weather during my stay! there's good parking right outside - important if you worry about your car being broken into! A warm welcome too from the Highfield staff. Sadly the warm welcome didn't extend to the Thai restaurant. Thailand promotes itself as the land of smiles - The Thai waiter clearly wasn't aware of his cultural obligations and maintained a surly demeanour. His defence may have been a lack of command of the English language. Still, a smile would have gone a long way. The Thai restaurant on the night of my stay was a little disappointing - maybe because it was a Sunday chef. I ordered the Thai red curry which was shown as hot dish on the menu - It was a rather bland mild dish with little in the way of aromatic spices and tastes that I would have expected. It was therefore on the pricey side for the quality. Next visit I'll be giving the bar food a try. Yes - I've stayed in better places but not at the prices charged at the Highfield so excellent value for those on a budget but not so sure about the Thai restaurant!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Booked in last min,amazing i go this area so often,but never knew this place was here,ill be stopping here now everytime i travel up this way from now on.Great food,nice staff and the rooms are the best ive stopped in for a while.im a happy man and will be booking in here very soon..

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 November 2012

The best thing about this hotel are the staff ... all very friendly and anxious to help in whatever way they could, but the room left a lot to be desired. We booked a superior room, and they assured me that the room assigned to us was, in fact, one of their four superior rooms. When we questioned the fact that we could not locate a telephone, we were told that NONE of the rooms were equipped with a telephone!! The light over the sink did not work and the cold tap couldn't be turned off completely.....the shower worked at the same time as the taps!!! No door on the wardrobe. Basically, it's an old hotel (maybe forty years or so it seems to me) that just never kept apace with the times ... and what was that horrible dribble of a stain on the inside of the lift doors ... one can only imagine.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 November 2012

I stayed here Tuesday night and the staff were very friendly, the room was comfortable and warm enough, loads of hot water, plenty of tea & coffee & a lift to all floors so I could take my tools into my room easily (I never leave them in my van but in some places it is a nightmare getting them to the room). I had a good nights sleep and breakfast was really nice with plenty of choice. I would definately stay here again but this time I would try and arrive in time to sample the restaurant.

Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Room was actually nicely fitted out, bit damp behind curtains because of condensation but did not affect the stay at all, it was cheap, and clean (what I wanted in this case) staff were friendly if a little absent on check in and on return later in evening and morning. Bathroom was dated but again clean, bath was deep with plenty of hot water. Television was tricky to work. Breakfast wasn't great but it was value for money. Bed was HUGE and comfortable. All in all very good and I would recommend highly if you are looking for a short stay budget hotel near Durham, which was exactly what I went for.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business