“Friendly staff... if you can find them”
Review of Highfield Hotel

Highfield Hotel
Emerald, Australia
“Friendly staff... if you can find them”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Overall, the Highfield Hotel was clean and comfortable. The room was a good size, and the king-size bed was very comfortable. The room was great value, and overall it was a pleasent stay. However there were several small things that left me feeling less than happy with the hotel overall.

The staff, although pleasent, were hard to find and very overworked. The hotel requires you to hand in your key when leaving for the day, which is fine in the morning when there is someone on the desk; however involved scouting the hotel to try and find someone to return your key in the evening. One afternoon I was handed the key to someone else's room instead, making me serously doubt the security of the rooms in general.

The bed was made each morning and new towels provided, however I think this was the only cleaning done in the room. The empty soap packet remained on the bathroom sink for three days, the floors didn't look vacuumed, and there was no spare toilet paper - meaning I had to run down to reception to find someone to find more toilet paper when it ran out.

The food in the Thai restaurant was lovely, and highly recommended, however breakfast was rather limited and not always freshly cooked.

Overall, the hotel is cheap and cheerful, and (with a bit of work to fix these issues) is a good place to stay

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
charlee_limratana, Manager at Highfield Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Thank you for your review, hopefully I can address some points made in your post. We appreciate that the key system can sometimes be a pain as our reception staff also help in the bar on a night. Also, we are a relatively small hotel and as such having someone sitting at reception at all times would be impossible, although we do strive to have a person around during usual checkin and check out hours. However we are due to be switching to a key card system within the next few months which will rectifi this problem.

I will adress the comments about the rooms being made up with the chamber staff however they are cleaned every day, although not as throughly as upon checkout.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Rowlands Castle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2013

The Highfield Hotel is an enigma. On the one hand it is cheap and cheerful - I paid £41 for bed and breakfast and stayed three nights in a comfortable room. However there are lots of annoying things which could easily be rectified to make this a much more enjoyable place to stay. There was rarely anyone on the reception desk and I always had to find one of the bar staff to return my room key after I had been out, and also when I wanted to check out.
There is a large bar area with lots of seating and the staff are very pleasant, but it is tired and dated and in need of an overhaul. However, the bar menu is acceptable and my choice of a Thai dish was very good value.
My room faced the road but with a good view. It was excessively warm in the room and I had to open the window to get some air. The furnishings were modern and attractive but the bathroom was in need of updating. The plug was broken and one of the tap top discs was missing, but the shower was excellent, powerful and hot. There were lots of clean towels available and changed daily. Bizarrely, after the room had been serviced each day, the electric plugs were removed from the wall sockets which involved a scramble under the tv or bedside cabinet to plug them back in.
Attached to the hotel is a Thai restaurant which is well known and popular with locals although I did not eat there. There are a large number of tables, cane furniture and large plastic plants, making it seem very dated. Breakfast was served in the restaurant between 730-930 and it was necessary to fill in a form left on each table and tick your choices with a red biro. There was cereal, orange juice and coffee on a separate table, to which you could help yourself. I had the cooked breakfast, where you were allowed to choose up to five items from a given list on the form. Unfortunately the bacon and sausages appeared to have been cooked a long way in advance as they were hard and tough and unpleasant to eat. The next day I had the poached eggs and they were freshly cooked. It would be very easy to improve the standard of breakfast by buying some matching cutlery, ditching the teapots with cracked lids, use some quality bread for the toast instead of thin sliced white and brown, and getting rid of the horrible red plastic squeezy bottles for the tomato ketchup.
Although this review sounds very negative, I enjoyed my stay, it was good value for money and the staff were very good. I would recommend the Highfield hotel for a cheap and cheerful stay with no extra luxuries.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Hello and thank you for your review, hopefully i can address some items raised in the post. between the hours of 6:45 am and 11pm we have a receptionist on and outside of that a night porter. Due to the size of the hotel and value which we offer, receptionists often help at the bar when we are busy. We are looking to install a new key card lock system within the next three months and once installed will mean guests can retain their keys for the extent of their stay.

From your comments we have since replaced all the silverware and the tomato ketchup bottles.
Chirk
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We stayed over the Easter weekend from March 29th until April 1st. On arrival we thought the hotel looked a bit dated but the outside hid a good heart. Reception was friendly, the whole hotel was lovely and warm, very welcome considering the wonderful Spring? weather we had over Easter!
We had a standard double room which was large and clean, plenty of hot water, and proper, large bath SHEETS, not tiny, flimsy towels. Our room was on the side away from the main road so no traffic noise problem. Beds were on the firm side but acceptable, though the pillows were a little hard and lumpy, we slept OK but the rooms could do with thicker curtains to keep the light out in the mornings if you wanted to lie in.
We ate in the attached Thai restaurant on one evening and enjoyed the meal, there was also a good selection of food available in the hotel bar though we did not sample it.
Breakfasts were served to order with a very short wait, would have been nice if there was some other option rather than just cornflakes or muesli for starters, some fruit or yoghurts perhaps?
Overall we enjoyed our stay and would use this hotel again.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I loved this hotel. Very friendly,warm and welcoming. We met a few of the locals who made our stay even more exceptional.Thankyou Shirley, you saved my life with the coffee. The room we had was fantastic, the kingsize bed was amazing. We will be back. This hotel I will recommend to anyone. Once again Thankyou all.

Somerset
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Stayed here many, many years ago and decided to stay here again whilst visiting family. It hasn't changed since my last visit. Stayed in a superior room which was comfortable and clean but nothing special. The bathroom was definitely looking a bit tired, the shower strut was loose but still useable and there was a bit of a smell in the bathroom which I think was the carpet (don't think carpets in bathrooms are a good idea tbh). Breakfast was OK but again, have had better. The staff, however, were very helpful and friendly but it seems like they have to double up doing other jobs, so sometimes there is no one on reception but they are usually working in the bar. I would agree with other comments that it is very dated in appearance and I got the impression it is being run on a shoestring. Could do with an injection of cash to update/upgrade it although I appreciate times are hard at the moment. We didn't eat in the restaurant so can't comment about that on this visit but I have eaten here before and it was very nice. Location wise, it is easy access to Durham, Sunderland and Newcastle being on the side of the A690.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Great room with 32" tv and balcony with a view of Penshaw Monument. Very clean room and comfortable bed. From the outside it looks abit outdated but I cannot complain on the room.

Good location for exploring the north east, only a short drive to Newcastle, Sunderland, Durham and the coastline with great beaches.

Would certainly stay again

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Yorks, England
Reviewed 20 February 2013

Clean and comfortable but dated in appearance. Don't be put off with the initial looks as the restaurant is fabuluous, we can particularly recommend the set banquet for two, in fact it was so good we ordered it on both nights. The hotel is well situated for exploring the North East and gives magnificent views of Lambton Worm.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houghton-le-Spring
Lumley Castle Hotel
Bannatyne Hotel Durham
Bannatyne Hotel Durham
#12 of 19 in Durham
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County

Been to Highfield Hotel? Share your experiences!