“You get what you pay for”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Highfield Hotel

Highfield Hotel
“You get what you pay for”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

I paid £41 for a single room with breakfast. Hotel is very basic and run down next to a busy main road. The room is ok but my bathroom was filthy. Shower needs a good deep clean and the sink was totally cracked in more than one place. I ate in the Thai restaurant. The food was ok but portions very small. For an hour I was the only person in the restaurant.

Ok if all you need is a bed for the night to break your travelling.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
charlee141, Manager at Highfield Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Hello and thank you for your review. As you did state you choose our basic room package. We do have other rooms which are available for extra includeing our double and superior rooms. Our bathrooms are going to refurbishment as we speak however a busy summer has slowed down progress.

If you are in the area again I would love to show you one of these rooms.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Washington, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

I visited recently with a friend to have lunch in the Thai restaurant. The welcome was friendly from the lady in the deserted bar.
Drinks were obtained and we were informed that we could go into the restaurant when we were ready.
On entering the large restaurant we realised we were the only two people there! The place was empty.
We chose our starters & main courses which arrived in a timely manner. Very small portions however.
The BBQ chicken I had was 75% meat - 25% skin & gristle. Not great at all. When I mentioned this to the waitress she told me that "Thai people eat everything..." It's a pity I'm not from Thailand. I've eaten Thai food on many occasions and have never been served chicken skin before. Most unappetising.
Maybe there's a reason that the restaurant remained empty during our entire visit?
Disappointing.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Colin B
charlee141, Manager at Highfield Hotel, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Hello and thank you for your review and dining with us under the groupon deal we ran a few weeks ago. Our chicken in cooked in the skin so as not to dry out. It is also possibly the tastiest part of the dish infused with our marinate. I'm sorry that this dish wasn't too your taste and if your in the area again I maybe able to recommend something more to your liking
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

My daughter and I stayed at the Highfield the night before she started at Durham university - I hadn't managed to get a room in the City itself and in the event, this was a good location as it is easy to find with plenty of parking and just 10 minutes drive away. This is not a typical hotel as most of the ground floor is taken up with a large (and evidently popular) bar and restaurant. The room itself was roomy and of a good standard although the bathroom was a little tired. A couple of small niggles - the room was also very warm but as we were on the ground floor and close to a road, we didn't want to open the window (I suspect that the central heating kicked in without taking the unseasonal warm weather into account) - also, the bathroom could do with a towel rail. Breakfast is buffet style and very good. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Would happily return although if on my own, would not feel comfortable eating in the restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the main road and not on the ground floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mallika N
charlee141, Manager at Highfield Hotel, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Hello and thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again in the future. Our bathrooms have undergone refurbishments at the start of the year and we will continue to do so toward the festive season. Please with your daughter all the best with University and hopefully we will see you when visiting the area again.
Heywood
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

Found this hotel after searching Tripadvisor, The hotel staff are excellent, the room was more than adequate being a good size and with superb views from the balcony, I would not fault the hotel. The Thai restaurant was a little dissappointing ordered the banquet for two, was told that one of the starters was no longer available so we were offered an alternative from the otherstarters, however when the starters came the alternative was not there, two of the staff seem to know what is going on but the Oriental waitress who had a very limited command of English did not seem to know what had been ordered, when the main courses came,one of the four dishes,, a chicken in Oyster sauce seemed to be missing the chicken and we gave up trying to explain. In generalthe food was good,just let down by the waiting staff. Breakfast was fair,though very limited choice. I would certainly stay at this hotel again, maybe go for a bar snack next time.

Room Tip: ask for one with a balcony on the first floor
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
charlee141, Manager at Highfield Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Hello and thank you for your review. I am please you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again in the future! We have recently recruited a few new members of staff who I belive had just started on the night of your visit. I appreciate this is no excuse for poor service as our service is something we pride our selves upon however I can assure the same would not happen in the future.
Walsall, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed for 1 x Saturday night in August.

The staff seemed pleasant enough and given the amount we had paid for our stay we were happy with our room which seemed clean & comfortable, if not a little dated.

We were shattered after a busy day so we opted to eat dinner in the hotel's Thai restaurant which was really good, we then had a drink in the bar before taking an early night.

We were awoken at 2am by someone attempting to enter our room but thought it was just another resident who had perhaps had a little too much liquer and would realise that he was at the wrong room. Sure enough the guy went away, only to return a few minutes later with the night porter who promptly opened our room door with the master key and let the drunken fellow into our room!!
When myself & my wife shouted out in shock the guy left our room quite quickly.
I'm just amazed that the night porter let him into our room without the checking the guys name against the resident records.

I have to say that when we complained the following day the reception staff were professional and totally apologetic and offered compensation but I guess you stay in a hotel for a peaceful nights sleep hence the poor review.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
charlee141, Owner at Highfield Hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Hello and thank you for your review. I can only apologise for the intrusion on the morning of your stay. As you said the night porter did accompany the guest however it is unacceptable that you were disturbed especially at this hour. We have since up into place procedures which ensure this mistake will not happen again and are in the process of upgrading our lock system at the moment to RFID cards with a dead bolt system.
Stevenage
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night on August 31st, and had a few issues at check in, some my fault, others the hotels.

I am not going to list the issues I had, because this morning I've received a delightful call from the manager apologising for the time we had. The manager has assured me they have taken my points on board and are taking measures to sort them out for their next visitors.

This hotels staff are extremely helpful, polite and friendly. They not only made all of the bad things a little better but they have gone out if their way to be courteous and call me to explain the issues raised.

I would give this hotel another go, maybe it was just a bad weekend and an unlucky one at that.

Thank you Highfield Hotel for restoring my faith in customer service.

• Stayed August 2013
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

Clean functional hotel, good size rooms and nice Thai resto (though portions are small) - the only down side is there is no real ale in the bar - staff are very helpful and friendly (although the locals told me the lady owner could be a bit moody I saw no evidence of this).

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Wilf M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houghton-le-Spring
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,288 reviews
Chilton Country Pub and Hotel
Premier Inn Durham North Hotel
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County

Been to Highfield Hotel? Share your experiences!