“If you want Hilton quality, pay Hilton prices!”
Review of Highfield Hotel

Highfield Hotel
uk
“If you want Hilton quality, pay Hilton prices!”
Reviewed 28 February 2010

I have stayed at this hotel whilst in the region on business on numerous occasions over the last 2 months and can honestly say I don't recognise it from some of the bad reviews on here!! The rooms have always been warm and cosy and my bedding and towels clean and the food in the restaurant is excellent! The staff are fantastic and really go out of their way to have a chat with you. But you have to remember - this isn't a four/five star hotel and you get what you pay for! I travel extensively across the UK with my job and often stay in Marriotts and Hiltons - but would rather be treated like a person at the Highfield than a number at an overpriced chain hotel! Brilliant value for money.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2010

Stayed at this hotel a few times. Staff are great, although it is difficult to gain acces to the hotel after midnight. Heating is turned off after 11ish, and doesn't come back on until 4. Staff did give me a portable heater though! Also, there is no heating during the night! I was told to put another duvet on!
If going out for a night would stay here again, but would not stay more than 1 night. Sorry guys, but you need to have heating on 24/7 during winter, especially as you are a hotel!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
newcastle
Reviewed 11 December 2009

the service at the hotel was great and the staff did what they could to accomodate my stay, the rooms were basic but had everything i needed for a short stay. I had a meal in the thai restaurant which was the best part of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
Worcester
Reviewed 26 November 2009

The so called Thai Authentic restaurant attached to the Hotel is less than satisfactory. Poor quality food, and very over priced., with lack of customer service attention. No wonder the restaurant is empty, not recommended. The 'double room' consists of two single beds pushed together, need I say more.

Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
guisborough
Reviewed 9 November 2009

I arrived with my husband, son and his partner. booked 2 deluxe rooms, Decor ok, although it was a cold wet Nov day, the heating did not come on till about 6, difficulty seeing lock as only emergency lighting on.On Inspecting pillowcases and sheets, which were noticibly creased, the bottom sheet was very soiled, I complained to the receptionist, who said the housekeeper had just left. and could'nt believe that the bedding had NOT been changed, My sons room pillowcases were also creased and mascara on them. They apologized, and gave us two different rooms, on this inspection the same applied, creased and soiled pillows, which were changed. Then a further inspection of my bed revealed hair, clearly this also had not been changed, however by then I was getting very upset and frustrated, so I had a lint remover, by which I went over it twice, It was like cleaning a dog blanket...( Needless to say that night I slept on top of the bed with my dressing gown to cover me). time was getting on ,and I felt tired by it all. so I thought I'd make a coffee....Wow. what another shock, A hotdog sausage was in the kettle. Furious I saw the receptionist , who gave me her apology again, and gave me another kettle, Also in the seconed room only 2 halfs of a toilet roll. So the housekeeping team have let you down HIGHFIELD. They are NOT changing bedding, and inspecting kettles etc.. So that was 4 rooms that had soiled sheets etc.. Well I certainly WONT be staying there again, and would NOT reccomend anyone else to. The Manageress, gave us a 20pd discount on each room, but really Id rather have had a clean bed and less stress...So Highfield get your act together...you will lose a lot of custom, really not many good review on this Hotel..

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
Middlesbrough.uk
Reviewed 8 November 2009

My partner me and his mam and dad stayed overnight, in two rooms. We were attending a family 18th party elsewhere that night. For november it was freezing, the heating came on later on in the afternoon. Our sheets were filthy, make- up was all over the pillow. The sheets had obviously not been changed, The same with our companions sheets and towels. We got offered other rooms. These turned out to be the same. Rolled up towels had the previous occupants hairs still in it. The sheets in this room where also dirty. My mother in laws room was just as bad. Someone had left a donut inside the kettle. The toilet had not been flushed, so the bathroom can't have been cleaned. She ran a lint roller over the sheets, only to find lots of hairs stuck to it. I haven't seen anything like this before. The hygiene in this place is shocking ! We were given £20 back. I would have rather gone to another hotel, but it was late in the day.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 4 October 2009

Some good things: large room with comfortable bed & loads of parking. But mostly bad: loose loo seat fell off nearly injuring my husband. Bath filler did not work. Bar had run out of beer! Restaurant (Thai) starters were good, and waiters were charming, but after 2 hours our main course had still not arrived and we gave up waiting. Breakfast was fine but completely self-service - right down to the tea, coffee and pre-toasted (therefore cold!) toast.

Perhaps we were just unlucky, but we won't be going back to find out!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OrangeTreeLover
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houghton-le-Spring
Lumley Castle Hotel
Days Inn Durham
Days Inn Durham
#13 of 18 in Durham
Travelodge Sunderland High Street West

Been to Highfield Hotel? Share your experiences!