“Lovely hot food ”

Price range: US$6 - US$25
Cuisines: European
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Italian Kitchen is situated within The Grey Horse pub Old Penshaw Village. A traditional village pub with a real open log fire for the winter months and loads of character.Serving excellent home cooked Italian food.
Sunderland
“Lovely hot food ”
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Came out with family and ordered the lasagne its was lovely but waited almost an hour but well worth the wait ,salad was lovely and fresh.
Would recommend

Jimmy G, Owner at The Grey Horse Inn, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
hi Thanks for the review. Apologies for you wait but really glad you enjoyed your food. Hope to see you again soon. Regards jimmy & jacq

“Loved it!”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Today was our first visit to The Grey Horse and we have just had a really lovely Sunday lunch.
I had delicious pork and my husband chose the beef which was really good.
The vegetables were cooked to perfection and lovely Yorkshire puddings.
It was good to have a gravy boat on the table as the gravy was excellent too.
Even though we were 'pretty full' we knew the sweet menu would be as good as the main course so I had a generous piece of warm chocolate fudge cake beautifully presented with ice cream and a strawberry.
My husband said his syrup sponge and custard was' light and lovely'.

The atmosphere is great and very welcoming.
Lovely friendly staff and we feel very fortunate to have found this great traditional village pub.
We shall certainly be back.

Jimmy G, Owner at The Grey Horse Inn, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thanks you for the great review. Really appreciate your positive comments. Thanks again and hope to see you back again soon. Jimmy & Jacq
Houghton-le-Spring, United Kingdom
“Slow service, average food.”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

After reading all the great reviews, we decided we'd go here for a family lunch today. Unfortunately, I was terribly disappointed...

When we first walked in my first though was "It's rather dingy", but the man behind the bar was rather friendly and helpful so I shrugged it off and looked at the menu. I suppose there's plenty of choice, but not much to my personal liking, so I had to settle for the lasagne. When we arrived there were only a few people in, so we presumed the food wouldn't take long. Well, we waited around 50 minutes and by then we were terribly fed up and our 4 year old was beyond that!

I felt that after such a long wait the food would be excellent, but my lasagne was very average. I had around 10 chips which weren't crispy and were starchy on the inside, and whereas the lasagne was large it lacked flavour. The meat didn't have much taste and all there was in terms of 'bechamel' sauce was yellow tinted water... The garlic bread I presume was frozen and floppy rather than crispy. However, the presentation of the meals was nice enough!

It ended up being quite an unpleasant and stressful lunch which genuinely made me baffled as to why there are so many good reviews. It was a real shame.

Good points:
- My partner said his Steak and Ale pie was enjoyable.
- Friendly staff, although not enough of them, poor young waitress running around looking lost and apologising to everyone constantly!

Bad points:
- 'Huge' wait! Around 50 minutes for lunch!
- Decor could do with a freshening up.
- Average tasting meal which in turn made it not good value for money.

Cost £26 for two adults and a child to have a rather rubbish lunch... Unfortunately it was a huge disappointment and we won't be going again. Shame as the staff did seem genuinely nice!

6 Thank Joanna L
Jimmy G, Owner at The Grey Horse Inn, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
We are sorry your experience was not as it should have been, We have no excuse for the delay in getting your meal to you in a timely manner. It is with regret that on this occasion we failed to deliver our usual high standard. We except that any reason we have does not matter to the customer as we should have in place all the necessary back ups. We have worked hard for the reviews that are on Trip Advisor and believe apart from this occasion we deliver a good quality service.
Newcastle and Gateshead, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sizzlin' Sausage Saturday!”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I was recommended this pub by a family member who ate here earlier in the year. On entering the pub (1st time) the staff were very friendly. They have a little restaurant at the back of the pub which is a nice and pleasant setting. The menu has plenty of choice but as we were here on Saturday, we choose the sizzlin' sausage Saturday meals (£9.99 for 2 meals). You had about 5 different types of sausage, 5 different styles of mash potato and 5 different styles of gravy too to choose from. A lot like a mix n match but excellent flexibility instead of plain old bangers n mash. For the price you got 2 sausages but can pay extra for more sausages on your plate. The service was great throughout and when the food came in a timely manner I can only say this is best, if not the best bangers n mash I have tasted. If you like your bangers n mash this place is a MUST! Absolutely, brilliant food and an ingenious little twist to bangers n mash. I asked about the sausages and they're all locally sourced too. I can't praise this pub and it's food enough, great stuff! I can't wait to go back on the Monday or Wednesday steak nights - 2 steak meals for £20 and a small btl of wine each. Hopefully the steaks are locally sourced too on our return :-)

Jimmy G, Owner at The Grey Horse Inn, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
WOW thanks so much for the great review. Its only our 2nd week and we are over the moon at the response. Hope to see you back again soon. The meat we use is locally sourced from Seaham. We try where possible to use local suppliers. Thanks again for the review. Jimmy & Jacq
Houghton-le-Spring, United Kingdom
“Fish Friday”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Been to the Grey Horse for food on a number of occasions and never been disappointed. Good value food in a friendly, relaxed environment.

Jimmy G, Owner at The Grey Horse Inn, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thanks for the review and thanks for trying our new Fish Fry-Day menu. So glad you enjoyed your meal. Thanks again Jimmy & Jacq