“No gentlemanly reception here”
Review of Hotel Le Gentleman

Hotel Le Gentleman
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in La Fleche
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Unfortunately, we didn’t receive a nice reception here that many other reviewers gush about. Of the dozen hotels we stayed in during our recent 20 day trip, this was the low point. We were in La Fleche for the wedding of our French niece, who held her reception at a nearby chateau. Frankly, I can’t envision much reason to be in La Fleche otherwise. It’s far from the normal tourist routes.

The web appearance suggests the hotel is in a quiet, rural location. In fact, it’s a house connected to other structures on the main road in La Fleche, about 50 yards from a round-about. The serene photos are taken of the interior garden, which is accessed by a narrow code-controlled gate. You will need your best driving skills to get your car through the gate. To check in, you first need to park your car in the busy front street, ring the front doorbell, be let in, then eventually make your way in the car around a side street to access the courtyard. It’s a bit of a hassle, and the rooms have some road noise from the main street.

When we arrived at 5 pm, we were shown to our double bedroom suite for my wife and I and our adult daughter. The rooms were fine, about average, and the bathrooms were clean and above average. Preparing for the reception, my wife asked for a glass of the cold champagne that I had brought along for just this occasion. I dispatched my daughter to the front desk to retrieve a few glasses, since there were none in the room. The receptionist sternly warned her that it was forbidden by French law to drink in a hotel room, and refused to give us any glasses. This surprised me, as most of our hotel rooms had not only glasses but corkscrews provided. No worry, but this was a harbinger of the treatment for the rest of our stay.

Our wedding was delightful at the nearby castle, and we danced with our French side of the family until early morning. I descended alone for breakfast at about 9:30 AM, and found no-one in the dining area, either guests or staff. After about 5 minutes of loitering, I spotted the coffee pot in an adjoining kitchen, and quietly filled my own cup to have with breakfast. After 5 minutes, the proprietor walked in, approached my table, and wanted to know how I had gotten a coffee. He gave me an icy stare and expressed his displeasure. After breakfast, I went to check on wife and daughter, and informed them that breakfast service was closing. They both declined breakfast, but asked if I could bring each of them a cup of coffee.

I descended to the dining room, and stood behind the hotelier who was chatting with two guests about their hometowns, their gardens, and the weather. Checking my watch, I stood behind him for four minutes before he acknowledged me. I could feel he was giving me the full dose of purposely ignoring me. When he finally turned, I asked for two coffees for my ladies, and he paused and considered my request as if he’d never heard of someone drinking coffee in their room. Finally, he replied, ”Yes, but only if I charge both of them for a full breakfast service.” At least he didn't claim it was illegal. Finally securing the coffees, I went back to the room, but didn’t bother to share with my wife and daughter that their java cost over $20 per person. I won’t bother to elaborate on the story of the owner ensuring we were out of the room before check-out time, even though by my count there was only one other group of guests in the hotel.We fled this hotel for better venues, relieved to be out of the company of “gentlemen.” If you need to stay in La Fleche, we hope you fare better.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Southernstyle7

Reviewed 20 July 2014

A beautiful, chic hotel in a restored eighteenth century home. The owners and staff are just as charming as the property. The room was immaculate. The only problem with the bed was I didn't want to get out of it - so comfortable. It's very easy to find with a sign on the main road into La Fleche. Off street parking is available. The town of La Fleche is well worth a visit. We stayed 2 nights. Next time I'll stay longer and use this hotel as a base for exploring the region.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kathleen M
Reviewed 30 June 2014

A small, beautifully chic hotel situated near Le Mans. Cool, elegant & perfect for getting away from it all. Convenient parking. A light breakfast is offered in the stylish dining room. No evening meals but there are many local restaurants within 5 minute walk. Run by a great young couple who have obviously put their heart & soul into it. Will go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Tiffany5431
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I have never liked French hotels and always preferred getting across France as quickly as possible to whatever destination. I have said in the past "the French should get out of the hotel business" and complained about all the usual issues. This hotel has none of the usual issues.
The 25/0 excellent reviews looked like some sort of family and friends conspiracy and as we were passing Le Mans with a day to spare we decided to give it a try. It's now 10.00 am and we are still here and wishing there was availability for one more night. If there was an award for "best bed and shower" then this is the winner . The mattress is a Treca and the bathroom fittings Simas which now I know better will be getting my business in future. The breakfast is simple but perfect and service is perfect. All rooms appear to have been finished to a standard I have always thought too expensive to be worthwhile . I stand corrected.
I always give high marks to hotels with good off road parking and this one gets top marks. The Wi-Fi is a good as it gets and it is within 4 minutes walk to good restaurants and the beautiful center of La Fleche . We will definitely use this hotel again and plan our journeys around an overnight stop. Its now 10:30 and sadly we must think about checking out.

Room Tip: all rooms we have seen ar excellent
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Firewall
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This hotel is obviously a labour of love for the owners operators Karine and Pascal. The whole building is elegantly and classically renovated with care and attention to detail. The welcome from the owners put us totally at our ease and we felt very happy to be staying there, though sad to be only staying one night. The room was fantastic with a stairs to an upstairs twin bed room for our son, comic books and toys were available in the room which is a lovely, friendly touch. Very, very comfortable bed. Breakfast included lots of artisanal, local fare and was beautifully presented.
I really can't say enough good things about this Hotel. Big chains strive to create the illusion of 'hospitality', but the folks at Le Gentleman make it homely, hospitable and charming without it feeling forced.
I normally stay in la Fleche when crossing France as it's a lovely town with a lot to offer, now it has even more to recommend a stay there. I highly recommend staying here if you're in the area. We intend to get back at the earliest opportunity.

Room Tip: The room at the back on the right is wheelchair accessible and has a loft twin bedroom, perfect for...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank MonsieurleBlanc
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I spent three wonderful nights at Le Gentleman last week, with my elderly mother and my little dog Dolly. Our Bedroom was tastefully decorated and very peaceful overlooking the secluded garden. Unlike most rural French hotels the plumbing was not an issue with plenty of hot water elegant fixtures and fittings and the towels were wonderfully soft. The bed was so comfortable I wanted to buy it !

The owners Pascal and Carine could not have been more attentive. We can't wait to return to this charming hotel and cannot recommend it highly enough.

Room Tip: Room Number One is great if you have a pet as it is very close to the garden but remember to keep th...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DebbieandDolly
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We stayed in Le Gentleman with friends for three nights this week. Karine and Pascal are very charming and attentive hosts and made us feel very welcome, nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were tastefully decorated with free wifi. Breakfast was excellent. If you are in this area Le Gentleman is the only place to stay.
Thank you Karine and Pascal for making our stay so enjoyable. We wish you every success for the future.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
#1 of 1 in Luche-Pringe
Hotel Le Saint Aubin
Hotel Le Saint Aubin
#1 of 1 in Cheville

Been to Hotel Le Gentleman? Share your experiences!