“some country pubs are great this isn't one of them”
Review of Great Western Arms

Great Western Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Aynho B&B and Inns
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“some country pubs are great this isn't one of them”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

on arrival I got told please don't come to the bar yet as we are really busy
this seemed a strange way to greet customers
breakfast consists of a jug of orange juice left in the room along with a jug of milk and a selection of children's cereal's
a cooked breakfast is available but on from 9AM to 10AM
they also asked me to pay my bill the night before as "there will be no one here in the morning .....well we will all be to busy cooking"
I don't know what they will be cooking as I said above breakfast is not available until 9AM at the earliest
the rooms are very noisy with trains going past and you can here every noise from the room next door including when the toilet is used
All in all the food is fine but the service and the rooms leave a lot to be desired

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We had the most wonderful stay at the Great Western Arms and couldn't fault a thing with the room, the pub, the food, the staff or service. The staff were always cheerful, friendly and helpful. Our room was awesome, with lots of lovely touches and felt modern whilst retaining it's original features and charm.
We had our evening meal in the pub which we hadn't planned to do but were so glad we did. The food was fantastic and the service spot on. The bar was buzzy and the locals lovely. It's obviously a popular place, and with good reason.
we are going back in September and will really look forward to it.
Our thanks to Rene and Ali and all the staff who made our stay so lovely.
Jayne and John Ashworth
25 April 2014

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night after doing driving experience. I had read a few negative reviews on this place however I could not fault it. We stayed in Room 4 which was very nice. The room was small but contained everything that was needed. The only negative comment would be that the window will had just been varnished so the room smelled of paint. The pub itself is lovely very cosy and the staff were extremely friendly. The food is delicious!! Although for a pub I found was quite expensive(although worth it). Overall we had a very good experience and would definitely return if in the area again.

• Stayed April 2014
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We were attending a wedding at Aynho Park so booked the Great Western Arms for two nights. We arrived after work on Wednesday and went to the bar and were given our key. The first question we were asked was 'how are you paying for your room?' Our hands were full so I asked if we could settle in our room first.

We had room 2 which was small not very clean (mould up the walls in the corner dirt cobwebs hidden by a chair which I only found trying to locate a plug socket) and the bathroom door could not open fully without banging into the table!

The bathroom had mould in the shower and the shower had no water pressure.

If you are a heavy sleeper then you will be fine as you are by the train tracks so obvious noise from the passing trains. The first morning I was woken by the moving of barrels and then this morning by the emptying of glass bottles. You can also hear the rooms next door.

We paid for bed and breakfast. On the first morning we went into the pub as on the notice in the room it states breakfast served between 9-10am to be told you have to order breakfast the night before and its £10 per person. They class breakfast a small box of cereal in your room.

We did not eat in the pub so cannot comment on the food.

If you were to stay hear I would ask for either room 1 or 4.

Room Tip: Choose either room 1 or 4.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Annah691
suffolk
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I have never been so disappointed with the service on my travels. I arrived at 6pm alone with the intention of my work colleague joining me for dinner later in the evening (we had a job in the area the next day).

I was told the restaurant was fully booked that evening and if I wanted to eat I would have to eat right away as they needed the table I was sitting on. I then asked if there was somewhere I could sit, have a drink, work on my laptop and wait for my colleague (whom i'd since told to eat something on the way)

I was told 'no' and that it was not a hotel just a pub with rooms and that they have wifii so people can work in the rooms.

My room stunk of damp, I couldn't get the wifi to work and it was right next to the smoking area which was SO noisy!

I was told that breakfast was served between 9 and 10 so I thought at least we can sit down and have a meeting before starting the days work.

I asked Selina if we could order a cooked breakfast and she let out a groan - ignored me - went to the kitchen and had what sounded like an argument with the chef.

This place may have some good reviews but I think they should really work on their customer service - I felt uncomfortable there from the start. The pub itself is very pretty and I was actually looking forward to staying here. I also suggest that if the restaurant is so popular that the reception should suggest to guests that they reserve an area to sit and have a drink in advance.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank natasha s
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2013

My wife and I were invited to return to the Great Western Arms in April and we are glad that we did. We stayed in the Luxury Double Room (Room One) again and found it to be very different to our previous stay in January. The bathroom has been completely refurbished and a new, larger than average, shower cubicle installed. Many of the original wall tiles have been replaced and the ceiling has been properly cleaned and redecorated. The bathroom is now an attractive en suite feature of Room One.
The main room has also been redecorated; the noisy fridge has gone, to be replaced by a smooth running, silent model. Whatever caused the extremely disturbing noise late at night and early in the morning on our previous stay has been dealt with and we had a completely undisturbed night.
As before, we had dinner in the restaurant and agreed the food was excellent. Good portions, well cooked and nicely presented. The restaurant was very busy and the atmosphere lively and friendly.
It was clear that the landlords have worked hard to bring the accommodation up to a comparable standard to the bar and restaurant and they are to be commended for their efforts.
We are very pleased to be able to say, now that we have been back to the Great Western, that we can safely and confidently recommend this as a good place to stay. The location is lovely, the bar/restaurant excellent and now the accommodation is good, too.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Mike N
Ross-on-Wye, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2013 via mobile

On our long drive from west Gloucestershire to Suffolk we stopped after 2 hours for a break on Good Friday.Walking in here there was a lovely log fire and beautiful flowers on the bar .The place was so welcoming that we resolved to call here for a meal on our drive back on Monday.The place was busy ,fresh flowers were there again,new ones!We we were given a table for two beside the log fire.The order was taken and we had quite a wait(I think they muddled my order )but it arrived after 30 mins.
We enjoyed the good pub food and refreshed we drove happily home.
In future we will try and break our journey here.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsPumps
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aynho
Cartwright Hotel
Home Farmhouse B & B
Home Farmhouse B & B
#18 of 37 in Banbury
Bicester Hotel, Golf and Spa

Been to Great Western Arms? Share your experiences!