“Two visits in three days” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Great Western Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Aynho B&B and Inns
Herne Bay, United Kingdom
“Two visits in three days”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Had booked a three day stay for myself and my wife at The Coach House in Souldern, just down the road. My father had a narrow boat on the Oxford canal before selling it over 13 years ago, and we had often moored up for the night at Aynho either just for a meal or to meet other members of my family for change overs etc. The pub in those days was quite different and had a bar billiards table and did a superb fish and chips as far as I could remember.

The interior is now all layed out for eating, whith a superb menu an a lovely enclosed courtyard out the back. No sign of the bar billiards table !

Our first visit of this trip was when we first arrived and needed feeding after the three hour drive up from Kent. We had a very pleasant meal in the courtyard under clear sunny skies, followed by a leisurely stroll back along the tow path to where we'd left the car, just south of Souldern.

The second visit was on Sunday, realising that most of the pubs that did food in the locale unfortunatly weren't open on a Sunday or if they were, didn't serve food, I phoned the GWA and when asked if they were open to serve food tonight, a cheerful voice replied, "We're open all the time to serve food, sir". I booked a table.

It looks as though they are very popular for their sunday roasts as the pub was very busy, everyone it seems to have turned up for sunday dinner. The meal was superb and good value for money. Service was excellent considering that the pub was packed.

Would definietly recommend this pub to anyone looking for good value and service, I'd suggest booking if you want a meal on a Sunday evening, possibly Sunday lunch time as well. Would also recommend sitting in the secluded courtyard out the back on a sunny day.

Nicely located for a walk along the tow path before dinner to build up an appetite or after to help with digestion. Loved the place.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Crawley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Visited this pub over May bank holiday weekend. It's in a great location, adjacent to a canal so there's lots to see. The pub decor is charming, stone floors, open fires and flowers on the tables in old glass bottles from the local brewery Hook a Norton.
The menu was good and supplemented by daily specials. Prices were 'middle of the road' , more restaurant range than pub. It was really busy, not an empty table to be seen by 8pm, but this didn't effect service which was excellent. My only criticism; despite being a bright day it was a cool evening but there was no heating on in the pub so we didn't stay for dessert as were feeling a little chilly!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

on arrival I got told please don't come to the bar yet as we are really busy
this seemed a strange way to greet customers
breakfast consists of a jug of orange juice left in the room along with a jug of milk and a selection of children's cereal's
a cooked breakfast is available but on from 9AM to 10AM
they also asked me to pay my bill the night before as "there will be no one here in the morning .....well we will all be to busy cooking"
I don't know what they will be cooking as I said above breakfast is not available until 9AM at the earliest
the rooms are very noisy with trains going past and you can here every noise from the room next door including when the toilet is used
All in all the food is fine but the service and the rooms leave a lot to be desired

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

We had the most wonderful stay at the Great Western Arms and couldn't fault a thing with the room, the pub, the food, the staff or service. The staff were always cheerful, friendly and helpful. Our room was awesome, with lots of lovely touches and felt modern whilst retaining it's original features and charm.
We had our evening meal in the pub which we hadn't planned to do but were so glad we did. The food was fantastic and the service spot on. The bar was buzzy and the locals lovely. It's obviously a popular place, and with good reason.
we are going back in September and will really look forward to it.
Our thanks to Rene and Ali and all the staff who made our stay so lovely.
Jayne and John Ashworth
25 April 2014

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night after doing driving experience. I had read a few negative reviews on this place however I could not fault it. We stayed in Room 4 which was very nice. The room was small but contained everything that was needed. The only negative comment would be that the window will had just been varnished so the room smelled of paint. The pub itself is lovely very cosy and the staff were extremely friendly. The food is delicious!! Although for a pub I found was quite expensive(although worth it). Overall we had a very good experience and would definitely return if in the area again.

• Stayed April 2014
Hertford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

We were attending a wedding at Aynho Park so booked the Great Western Arms for two nights. We arrived after work on Wednesday and went to the bar and were given our key. The first question we were asked was 'how are you paying for your room?' Our hands were full so I asked if we could settle in our room first.

We had room 2 which was small not very clean (mould up the walls in the corner dirt cobwebs hidden by a chair which I only found trying to locate a plug socket) and the bathroom door could not open fully without banging into the table!

The bathroom had mould in the shower and the shower had no water pressure.

If you are a heavy sleeper then you will be fine as you are by the train tracks so obvious noise from the passing trains. The first morning I was woken by the moving of barrels and then this morning by the emptying of glass bottles. You can also hear the rooms next door.

We paid for bed and breakfast. On the first morning we went into the pub as on the notice in the room it states breakfast served between 9-10am to be told you have to order breakfast the night before and its £10 per person. They class breakfast a small box of cereal in your room.

We did not eat in the pub so cannot comment on the food.

If you were to stay hear I would ask for either room 1 or 4.

Room Tip: Choose either room 1 or 4.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Annah691
suffolk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

I have never been so disappointed with the service on my travels. I arrived at 6pm alone with the intention of my work colleague joining me for dinner later in the evening (we had a job in the area the next day).

I was told the restaurant was fully booked that evening and if I wanted to eat I would have to eat right away as they needed the table I was sitting on. I then asked if there was somewhere I could sit, have a drink, work on my laptop and wait for my colleague (whom i'd since told to eat something on the way)

I was told 'no' and that it was not a hotel just a pub with rooms and that they have wifii so people can work in the rooms.

My room stunk of damp, I couldn't get the wifi to work and it was right next to the smoking area which was SO noisy!

I was told that breakfast was served between 9 and 10 so I thought at least we can sit down and have a meeting before starting the days work.

I asked Selina if we could order a cooked breakfast and she let out a groan - ignored me - went to the kitchen and had what sounded like an argument with the chef.

This place may have some good reviews but I think they should really work on their customer service - I felt uncomfortable there from the start. The pub itself is very pretty and I was actually looking forward to staying here. I also suggest that if the restaurant is so popular that the reception should suggest to guests that they reserve an area to sit and have a drink in advance.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank natasha s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aynho
Cartwright Hotel
#1 of 1 in Adderbury
BEST WESTERN PLUS Banbury Wroxton House Hotel
Premier Inn Banbury (M40, J11) Hotel
Mercure Banbury Whately Hall Hotel

Been to Great Western Arms? Share your experiences!