“Very Disappointing”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Runswick
North York Moors National Park, United Kingdom
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Well our recent stay was somewhat of a disaster. The website states a luxurious hotel. I wonder if the cobwebs all over my room or the fly in my uncleaned bath were an indication of this. Plastic cups such as found in a water machine in the office were also another lovely luxurious detail. Having taken the time to write to the owners of this establishment about my findings I was told I was sarcastic and that having worked in this type of business for many years I should have known better to write a letter but should have said so at the time. This is despite the fact that I explained in the letter that I had not made a fuss at the time as I was not paying the bill. They advertise a specials board which was not evident during all of our stay and despite it being an extremely limited menu, items were not available as they had sold out..... the reception /lounge area was in total darkness during our stay so if we had wanted to all sit and chat we would have had to do so in the dark. Although the owner was kind enough to point out that I could have switched the lights on had I wished or asked for them to be switched on. Such luxury! My parents who also sent an e mail expressing their concerns did not even warrant a response. Obviously they were too busy trying to cook up the 5 options on the menu. This trip was a treat for me after being so poorly what an expensive disaster it turned out to be. Take care all those luxury lovers out there you could be in for a big disappointment.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank LouHall1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Settle
Reviewed 14 June 2012

We had visited this hotel for a drink before and decided that it would be a lovely place to stay for a week's break.
Rang at 9am, did not get pass saying "Hello" before the receptionist answered me by saying that she would have to put me on hold as she was busy! Why answer in the first place?

She answered after five minutes and i asked whether there was any availability for the week only to be told that she did not take reservation requests until 9.30am as she was busy with the breakfast rush!!! could i ring back then!!

We decided not to bother....................

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank lorraine s
hot55, Owner at Cliffemount Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2012
After investigation your call was logged at 8.20am not 9.00am. All of our staff answer with a cordail greeting and our reservations do not open until 9.30. If we did not answer the telephone it would be even more upsetting for callers.Your call was on hold for 3minutes and 3 seconds we appologise for that.
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Have just spent 3 nights here - 2 on a KGB deal and one night at full price. The hotel staff were excellent, friendly and efficient. The food was very good and the hotel very clean and well appointed in a beautiful location. What made the trip so nice was the fact that it is very dog friendly and our pooches were as welcome as us! My only minor criticism is that I would have liked a softer mattress....but that's a very personal thing.
Thanks to you all at the Cliffemount - I would definitely call back again!

Room Tip: I suspect that the dear rooms have the better view but who cares....go out don't look out!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
North East, Uk
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Glad to see some people managed to get booked up with their KGB deal!!

I don't really care how over subscribed they have been, there is no excuse for patronising blatant rudeness. Like people have said before me their problem not ours. Despite establishing there was room at the hotel by email, by the on line booking service and again over the phone, they then refused to honour the voucher. Spoke to two different people, both had equally appalling telephone manners. The lady in reservations was rude, patronising and did not give any consideration or regret at the situation that they/ us were in. She spoke to me like a child, clearly irritated when I asked her explain how if the standard double rooms were available, how were they "unavailable" for me to book.

What the people I spoke to didn’t know was I was also going to book a further 3 rooms at full price for 6 adults, all higher value than the standard room. (I checked that the bookings were available online but wanted to ensure we got booked in using voucher first) So they lost myself and my husband, but also 6 other adults that would have stayed at full price, bought food and drinks.

My view of these vouchers is that you get two types of businesses. There are those who use the voucher system as a way to increase their customer base, provide good service and in turn get repeat custom. Speaking from experience I have given repeat business, non-discounted to lots of businesses I was first introduced to through voucher sites. Then there are those who, like the Cliffemount, obviously want a quick money making fix and push for business and don’t care about their customer service and are happy never to see return business! They are clearly taking out their frustrations of how stupid and naive they have been out on the customers of KGB. Here is a tip “read the small print”! I have encounted companies before that have had problems with these type of vouchers and they just explained the unforeseen demand and advice politely and sympathetically on what I should do next, which I was happy with. Funnily enough if people are reasonable and polite to me I do not have a problem with being let down or disappointed. I actually visited an establishment that had a similar problem but as they dealt with it 100% better than the Cliffemount I didn’t have any qualms.

Reading the reviews it seams that even full paying guests are often treated terribly and I feel truly sorry for them paying such high prices for this place.

First impressions count and can be the last impression too! I will be sure to spread the work. AVOID, these people do not deserve your business and they have made a costly mistake by handling it so badly!

Phew.... lucky escape!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Daniemcd
hot55, Owner at Cliffemount Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
thank you for your comments which are duly noted, but as explained to every customer using the KGB voucher a certain number of rooms are allocated for this deal and KGB vastly oversold the offer despite repeated requests for us, we have placed almost all of the vouchers and do try to accommodate whenever possible but its seems people only become upset when they cannot have exaclty what they want and when they want it!! if a little flexability could be used I am sure we could have helped. If you look at hte majority of our reviews we do try our utmost to give our customers the best possible service and expierience and most of the good comments come from people who have actually stayed with us!!!
Yorkshire
Reviewed 11 June 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in one of the suites. we had a beautigul view over the bay and garden. the room was spacious and clean. only problem was that, for june it was cold outside and the heating had been turned off in the hotel. one phone call to receptiln sorted it. the food was excellent dinner, breakfast and bar lunch. Service was brilliant. Attentive but not in your face. i had a bad back during my visit and each time i sat down to eat they brought me a cushion to make me more comfortable. the 2 gentlemen in the dining room and the chef deserve a special mention. all in all a lovely place to stay for time away from it all. thankyou.

• Stayed June 2012
leeds
Reviewed 7 May 2012 via mobile

We have just spent two pleasant and relaxing nights at this hotel on a KGB deal.
The hotel is ideally placed overlooking the picturesque village of Runswick.
Our room was relatively newly decorated and spotless as was the en suite.
We were asked whether we would like to book for dinner that night and at my request the manager? (didn't introduce himself), bought one to our room explaining that they were just changing their menu and that this one did not have all the prices on and had a few 'typo's'.
The starters although sounding delicious were approx 7-8 pounds and the mains approx 17-19 pounds, ( although with both one or two cheaper or more expensive.
We wanted to walk and couldn't really be bothered to change into our ' posh frocks' so declined , eating a delicious meal in the black lion pub instead, but intending to treat ourselves to a meal in the restaurant the following night.
The next morning we made our way to the restaurant for breakfast which despite some breathtaking views was curiously soulless.
We then saw the menu fully and agreed that indeed it was pricey but we would treat ourselves.
However!
Breakfast consisted of the usual tinned prunes, oranges and grapefruit. Some muesli, some dried fruits and sunflower seeds as well as a choice of those variety packs.
We had a choice of tea or coffee. The coffee was bitter and muddy. I chose scrambled eggs and smoked salmon. The salmon was good the eggs over cooked. My husbands grilled full breakfast appeared to him to be largely fried and left him with a greasy after taste.
The toast was the ready sliced buy anywhere in packets type. The marmalade was ordinary. The service was friendly.
Based on this we decided not to book for
dinner.
Instead we ate a marvellous meal at the Magpie at Whitby. Prices there more reasonable and food sensational.
The next morning the coffe was Luke warm but a second cafeteriare was given with apologies and most politely again.
This time we both had soft boiled eggs , which were perfect.
So , would we go again?
Definately. Warm friendly and spotless.
Would we chance the dinner?
Sorry no. Based on our breakfast we would need to be sure that the dinner stepped up to the prices charged, especially as the local pub served basic but excellently cooked food.

• Stayed May 2012
4 Thank sha55
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Beautiful views of the unspoilt bay at Runswick from our balcony. The room was spacious, clean and well -appointed. Hotel staff were attentive and helpful. The evening meal was delicious and both the food menu and wine list contained a range of interesting choices. Runswick bay is one of the loveliest villages along this coastline and this hotel provides a quality place to stay and enjoy the peace and quiet and stunning location.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Runswick
Raithwaite Estate
#1 of 1 in Ravenscar
Gisborough Hall Hotel
Gisborough Hall Hotel
#1 of 2 in Guisborough

Been to Cliffemount Hotel? Share your experiences!