“Wonderful location, friendly helpful staff but felt the Cliffemount Hotel did not quite live up to it's claims.”
Review of Cliffemount Hotel

Cliffemount Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Runswick
stockport cheshire
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Have just stayed for three nights in a ground floor double room at £155 per night. The room had lovely views over the bay and a small balcony where we could sit out - very pleasant. The room itself was a good size and well furnished although we found the bed rather hard. The bathroom looked good but the shower had a permanent drip which we were told had already been reported and was awaiting a new part. One morning on flushing the toilet a large pool of water oozed from the base of the pedestal. Staff were very apologetic and the problem was remedied the same day. So far as the food was concerned we only had dinner one night as it was rather pricey and quite average. My husband ordered the beef and black sheep ale pie but was then told it had been changed to steak and kidney - accepted this but then said pie only contained one piece of kidney. I asked for a glass of chardonnay in the bar but was told they didn't have any. At breakfast the scrambled egg and smoked salmon turned out to be "roasted salmon" instead. We had a comfortable stay overall but felt the hotel did not live up to the standard claimed on its website.

Room Tip: Obviously the rooms with a sea view make the stay special.
2 Thank joan s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Reviewed 14 July 2012 via mobile

Have not stayed at the Cliffemount Hotel, as we only live relatively nearby, but when visiting Runswick will often get lunch outside in the garden with our dog.
Have to say the service is always friendly and good, usually quick, and the food quality is really good, and hot.
So for us it is definitely worth a visit.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Willypop
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2012

having just returned fron a 4 night stay at this warm friendly hotel, i am disgusted by some of the comments. The staff at the hotel are friendly, helpful and professional, my room was spotlessly clean and the bed was a dream to sleep on. The food was excellent and the owners Carol and Ian were like family ensuring everything was alright for me. The views are spectacular from the dining room and even though i was on my own i never felt uncomfortable when sitting in the bar or eating in the dining room. The only plastic cup I saw was in the bathroom which is the usual thing even in 4 and 5 star hotels so that comment was totally irrelevant. The food at all times was excellent and like Jess H a variation was no problem at all. I would throughly recommend this hotel and have every intention of returning in September for another relaxing break. JT

Room Tip: all rooms are beautiful but the sea view ones are my favourite
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank june t
Whitby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2012

After having a wonderful lunch with a friend at the Cliffemount I decided to take my foodie brother and extermely fussy wife for a evening meal. The views of the bay and the ambiance of the resturant was so uplifting it really set the scene for a lovely meal. The service was terrific and the food was amazing. The locally caught halibut was cooked so well and was so delicious I was rendered speechless and so was my talkative brother who had the same. My sis in law had the guineau fowl and said it was the best ever which was praise indeed. My husband had the rack of lamb which was melt in the mouth georgeous. Homemade deserts were so good that again we fell silent and the attention to detail was impressive. I am not suprised that they have been nominated for a white rose award they deserve to win. It was a outstanding evening all round.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank olivers001
Huddersfield
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Just returned from another brilliant stay at this superbly located hotel.
Had a sea view room that was well appointed, comfortable and clean.
The food was excellent, far exceeding the normal standards for a 3* establishment, served by pleasant, helpful staff.

Room Tip: The sea-view rooms on the first floor offer the best views.
2 Thank CazandPaz
Brazil, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I would recommend this hotel to anyone the location and views are outstanding. The room we stayed in was 5 star quality with sea view and balcony

The food was absolutely brilliant and well beyond expectations and limiited menu is obviously to maintain standards.I asked for a variation which was not a problem

The staff are warm and freindly and nothing is too much trouble eg towel for our dog which we forgot

I cannot believe recent postings which must be from someone with an axe to grind

If you want a relaxing get away from it all LUXURY break then look no further than this hotel

2 Thank Jess H
North York Moors National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Well our recent stay was somewhat of a disaster. The website states a luxurious hotel. I wonder if the cobwebs all over my room or the fly in my uncleaned bath were an indication of this. Plastic cups such as found in a water machine in the office were also another lovely luxurious detail. Having taken the time to write to the owners of this establishment about my findings I was told I was sarcastic and that having worked in this type of business for many years I should have known better to write a letter but should have said so at the time. This is despite the fact that I explained in the letter that I had not made a fuss at the time as I was not paying the bill. They advertise a specials board which was not evident during all of our stay and despite it being an extremely limited menu, items were not available as they had sold out..... the reception /lounge area was in total darkness during our stay so if we had wanted to all sit and chat we would have had to do so in the dark. Although the owner was kind enough to point out that I could have switched the lights on had I wished or asked for them to be switched on. Such luxury! My parents who also sent an e mail expressing their concerns did not even warrant a response. Obviously they were too busy trying to cook up the 5 options on the menu. This trip was a treat for me after being so poorly what an expensive disaster it turned out to be. Take care all those luxury lovers out there you could be in for a big disappointment.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank LouHall1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Runswick
Raithwaite Estate
#1 of 2 in Guisborough
Captain Cook Inn
Captain Cook Inn
#1 of 6 in Staithes

Been to Cliffemount Hotel? Share your experiences!