“Great views, friendly staff, lovely food”
Review of Cliffemount Hotel

Cliffemount Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Runswick
“Great views, friendly staff, lovely food”
Reviewed 9 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights in feb in room 5. Enjoyed our stay very much. We travelled with our dog and he was made welcome. Very good value for money and breakfast was lovely. Had an evening meal and this was also very good. Enjoyed the quaint bar. Spectacular views, even though weather was terrible. Scenic drive to Whitby. Only downside was wifi connection not great in rooms although ok in the bar.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Stiltyman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I bought a Living Social deal voucher for this place in October last year which expires the end of February and forgot I'd done so. When I received a reminder off LSD I rang the hotel to see if they would accept my voucher (£130) even though I hadn't redeemed it within the 30 day period. They told me they couldn't; because they were fully booked for the whole of February. I went on their web page and entered a couple of dates for which I wanted to stay there, guess what, there were lots of rooms available. It's left me with a bad taste in my mouth and I'm extremely disappointed with their actions

Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
15 Thank themobbstter
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We have recently returned from 2 days of pure relaxation at the Cliffemount and we can honestly say that it was wonderful!! First of all the room, and I wish I had done this review earlier because I cannot remember the name, but it was an upgrade to a sea view and we were not disappointed. We even had a telescope on the balcony for an even better view of the coast, unfortunately the weather was not too kind as it was a bit misty but it did not spoil what was a beautiful view. Since coming home I have read some of the reviews about the hotel, mainly the bad reviews, now I know you cannot please all of the people all of the time but the one thing I was surprised at was the bad reviews about the food! I can honestly say that we have never eaten anywhere better, and if you look at our reviews we have eaten at a few places. The meals on both nights were fantastic, I will not bore you with what we had but I will say that all the ingredients were locally sourced and they were cooked to perfection. Anyone who complains about the food in this hotel must be really hard to please. The hotel itself is perfectly placed for you to enjoy the views, plenty parking, and a great selection of wines and spirits for you to enjoy with your meal and to relax in the lounge afterwards. The hotel is also perfectly placed if you fancied a trip to Whitby or even Scarborough. We took advantage of the dry weather and had a lovely walk down the steep hill onto the beach and a stroll along the wide beach, unfortunately you have to remember that you have to get back up that steep hill!! All in all the 2 days was well worth the trip down to Runswick Bay and we would not hesitate in recommending this hotel to anybody, go and enjoy.

Room Tip: If you can try and get an upgrade to a sea view it is well worth it.
4 Thank LindznMue
Hull, England
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Booked the Hotel in October as a Christmas present for my wife to mark our wedding anniversary on 22 January 2013. Owing to adverse national weather conditions, we were forced to cancel the trip. Notwithstanding the original booking conditions which I totally understand, we thought perhaps that the trip could be rescheduled, or alternatively a refund/part refund offered.

No discretion whatsoever by the management in this the 21st century - quite simply we lose £139 they gain the same amount for no effort whatsoever - disgusting.

8 Thank Michael B
England
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Lovely stay in this hotel.Staff very helpful and made us feel instantly welcome.Room was very comfortable, modern with a superb view from the balcony. We ate twice in the evening and really enjoyed the food. A cut above! For a short weekend break it was excellent and we will return in the summer

1 Thank EnglandMick
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights & were amazed by the views over the bay from our room.
Hotel is easy to find, plenty of parking.
The room was spacious & clean. Staff were pleasant & food excellent.
We will be staying again soon I would hope.

• Stayed January 2013
Tynemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2013

We stayed here for two nights in the Claymore room on a Living Social Deal.
The room was a nice size and we had a balcony (not so good in January) and a telescope!
Staff were attentive and the service was good.
The full Yorkshire Breakfast was delicious, cooked to order, with toast and marmalade.
It was in fact the best hotel breakfast that I have eaten for a while.
The only downside to our stay was the price of the Starters and Main Courses on the Evening Menu. I think more people would have been inclined to dine if the prices had been more reasonable.
Cod, salmon & dill fishcake starter with pickled fennel, curried split peas and mussels £7.50
Soup of the day £5.95
Grilled Gammon Steak, Garden Peas and Hand Cut Chips and Fried Egg £14.95
A Portion of Hand Cut Chips £3.25
Perhaps a cheaper bar meal menu instead of the formal evening menu might be an idea, for guests who really would like something informal.
We did enjoy our stay, nevertheless.

Room Tip: Room with a balcony a must...x
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Runswick
Raithwaite Estate
#1 of 2 in Guisborough
Captain Cook Inn
Captain Cook Inn
#1 of 6 in Staithes

Been to Cliffemount Hotel? Share your experiences!