“Lunch with a view”
Review of Cliffemount Hotel

Cliffemount Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Runswick
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The garden of this hotel has the most magnificent birds' eye view across the bay & the opposite cliffs. On a fine day, you'd be hard pressed to find a more delightfully scenic place to have lunch. The only disappointment is the lunch itself. The menu is not very adventurous but that's fair enough. Nothing better than simple food well produced. But while the sandwich was passable (difficult to get a smoked salmon & cucumber sandwich too wrong), the side order of flaccid, anaemic chips would have been greatly improved by a few minutes in a basket of hot oil. At well over £20 for this offering & a couple of drinks I think it only fair to ask them to shape up!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jan J
There are newer reviews for Cliffemount Hotel

Reviewed 3 August 2014

The location is excellent and with a balconied room overlooking the bay the views are lovely but don't expect luxurious accommodation. Our room was clean, of a good size and reasonably well furnished but were it not for the views then you would expect to pay £90-£100 rather than the £160 charged for B&B.

The food is a different matter and appears to be where the owners' expertise (and interest?) comes to the fore. All the dishes we ate over two nights - 4 fish starters, 3 fish main courses and 1 meat main course - were well prepared from high quality ingredients and while not inexpensive were certainly value for money.

Would we come again? To eat yes...to stay, probably not.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I stayed at Cliffemount last week and had a brilliant time. The weather was hot and sunny but sat on my balcony I had a lovely sea breeze and a fantastic view of the bay below. My room was lovely and clean and the quality of the bedding is excellent. The staff are friendly welcoming and informative. I ate every evening in the restaurant and the food and service is 1st class. The hotel is dog friendly and I enjoyed the company of lovely people and their dogs as well as Rosie the owners Carol and Ian's loveable beddlington terrier.

Room Tip: A room with a balcony overlooking the bay
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank june t
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Lovely, lovely location and nice staff with pretty good service. We went there for one night as a birthday celebration and had a lovely time. But it's considerably over priced. Everything about the place is average except the view. They are clearly trying to market themselves as a boutique hotel or gastro restaurant and have got as far as the prices but no further.

If they are managing to fill the place then the prices are clearly fine as the market decides, but I've stayed in considerably cheaper places that were better on all points - except the view

Room Tip: make sure you get a sea view
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank vague_meanderings
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for a weekend and were so disappointed with our stay. We booked 2 nights and to be honest I have stayed in much nicer room and have paid a lot less money. I feel that £120 per night to have a tiny room with no bath, small towels, no toiletries, and a bathroom that you can't move in is not acceptable. The only saving grace was the view!
Also the 1st day the breakfast was lovely and we were really pleased with it. However the 2nd morning was completely different. The service was ok but not great, my husband had the full English again and was completely different to the 1st day. Much less on the plate, over done bacon, 1 not 2 sausages that were also no where near the same quality (he said they tasted like cheap own brand where as on the 1st day there were proper Cumberland like stated on the menu) only half a tomato. I had the kippers and also didn't feel like half a slice of bread was adequate. I saw the lady the day before and she had a whole slice.
We stayed at the hotel as it was our 1st weekend away without our children and also as we were going to a wedding locally. We have travelled a great distance and just wanted a lovely relaxing stay with a bit of luxury and his was not we got.

We didn't say anything at the time as we both wanted to have a nice weekend away so put up with it. But when travelling home we realised that we were both disappointed. It was such a shame as the views were lovely but didn't justify the price we paid.
There are many holiday cottages and other hotels in the area and I now wish that we had looked at these!

Room Tip: Book a holiday cottage near by. They are beautiful and after doing some research would actually work...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Sarah A
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We had a lovely long weekend at this hotel. Accommodation and food were wonderful. The staff were friendly and welcoming and the hotel is set in a lovey location with views across Runswick Bay The view from the restaurant windows is incredible. It is certainly a hotel to return to.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Review: My husband and I are keen walkers and booked this hotel as it is virtually on the Cleveland way walk. The location of this hotel was not only practical (for the walk) but gives a beautiful view of the bay, which is definitely an added bonus and worth a look. We found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful. Our room was big, clean and tastefully decorated, with a balcony that gave another great view of the bay. The bed was huge and extremely comfortable and we both had an excellent nights sleep.
We had dinner in the restaurant, which again gave great views of the bay, very tranquil and romantic. We both had seafood dishes, which the chef was happy to change slightly, (my husband wanted fresh chilli adding to his dish). The food looked good on the plate but, tasted even better. All produce was fresh and locally sourced. The restaurant is definitely worth a visit even if your not staying.
Overall we had a wonderful stay at this little gem of a hotel and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a quiet getaway, and we will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Runswick
Raithwaite Estate
#5 of 20 in Whitby
Grinkle Park Hotel
Grinkle Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Easington

Been to Cliffemount Hotel? Share your experiences!