“Going downhill”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Runswick
Wakefield
“Going downhill”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2006

We have just returned from the Cliffemount having had a one night stop over with our daughter, my mother, grandmother and some friends who were on a two night break.

My wife and I have been staying at the hotel for around 8 years as Runswick Bay is very special to us. The hotel was established by its previous owner Ashley who sold the business to the current owners Mr & Mrs Rae in 2005.

Dealing with the positives first, it is fair to say that the food is better than it ever was with an excellent of seafood and meat dishes. As other reviewers have mentioned the Cliffemount's location is fantastic, overlooking the bay itself. Runswick is a great place to get away from it all and enjoy a pint or two and a stroll on the beach.

With regard to the rooms - there are generally traditional and basic but more than adequate. Our room this weekend overlooked the car park and was showing signs of tiredness with mixed colour towels most of which were frayed.

The new owners seem complacent and have shown few signs of any capital expenditure in their period of ownership - maybe this is planned?

The fundamental problem with this hotel is the attitude of the new owners and their clear lack of hospitality skils. I'm not sure whether we don't meet the Rae's ideal guest criteria but one thing is true - this is not a cheap hotel and paying guests should be treated in a better manner than our experience.

Our friends reported a faulty shower head which sprayed water across the bathroom when on - clearly a problem to guest and proprietor you would think. Seemingly Mr Rae was unable to resolve the matter and no alternative room was offered or apology of any kind.
Another example of "the little things that matter" - we had pre-dinner drinks last night and my wife ordered a house dry white wine which tasted anything but dry - I politely asked the waitress if it could be changed to which the reply was positive albeit at further cost - isn't the customer always right!? Later on at the meal a lemonade was ordered which was clearly flat - this was mentioned to the waitress who gave a sharp response explaining that the beverage was flat because it had been stood for 5 minutes and had ice added!! No sorry Sir/Madam, may I get you something else.
The Cliffemount has is a first class location and custom will be created from that alone - particularly as hotel accommodation in the bay is limited. Shame really - a bit of healthy competition would do the Rae's some good.

I could go on about other little niggling things with the place but you wish to draw your own views. We will be now looking for an alternative get away destination in that area which is a shame having spent many times at the Cliffemount over the years.
We will continue to visit the bay itself and can't recommend that enough.

Hopefully the Rae's will continue to make a mess of things and make way for a new owner in the not too distant future.

Stayed October 2006
7 Thank TeamBesters

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Leeds, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2006

We stayed at the Cliffemount Hotel last weekend with our two children. Overall, our stay was pleasent. The location of the hotel and the views are very nice and quite special. Our room was spacious, even with two matresses on the floor for the children. The decoration was ok, if slightly scruffy, with a great big hole in the upholstery of the sofa and wallpaper peeling. There was a basic TV and tea and coffee facilities. The bathroom had the best shower I have experienced in a long time. The double bed was queen-sized. We slept very well - even though our window looked out on the hotel car park, we could still have it open without being disturbed at night. Breakfast was in a lovely dining room looking out on the bay. There was a good choice of cooked and cold items and service was pleasant and polite.
On the day of arrival, we were met by Mrs. Rae, who was a little sharp. It was maybe our fault, as we arrived an hour early, however, I would not have described her attitude as perfect customer service. She made up for it at breakfast time when she was very pleasant to our children. When we checked out, Mr. Rae told me about just having to let go of his general and assistant manager, and I had to notice that for such a staff crisis, service was actually running smoothly, if you don't consider the wrong bill I was presented (he corrected it instantly). I was slightly surprised when he said that he considered "any work to do with the general public" as "hard work", as we represented the general public, and I hadn't felt that I had caused him hard work.
My biggest complaint about Cliffemount hotel would be the children's surcharge: Children older than 3 years old have to pay £28 each when staying with their parents. For two children, that would be £56, when the grown-ups pay £85. Considering that my two children slept on the floor on matresses and ate a portion of cereal for breakfast each, I would have been very unhappy to pay that much for them. But luckily I didn't have to: my younger one is 3 (£10 supplement normally), and I had agreed a combined price of £28 with the (now departed) assistant manager. It might be worth trying to negotiate (although Mr. Rae said that kind of unauthorised negotiations were why he let go of the manager).
In summary: Waitress service, attitude towards children breakfast and location: spot on.
Room: ok-ish
Price: Fair for the room, too much for the children
Attitude of the owners: might want to work on their attitude regarding customer relations.

• Liked — Views, breakfast
  • Disliked — Reception
  • Tips/Secrets — If you travel with kids, try and negotiate a fair price for them
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
3 Thank kfs2404
West yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2006

This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel.
Runswick bay itself is a lovely little village with lots of paths that run around the houses allowing you to explore.
The hotel is an unremarkable red building above the village however its position results in it offering fantastic views.
On our first visit we stayed in an attic room which offered views to 2 sides including the bay.
This time we decided to stay in a suite. The weather however was not on our side and it stayed resolutely foggy! However, these rooms have a balcony so at night you can open the window/door and hear the waves in the distance- very relaxing.
The food is to a good standard although I do think it is a little pricey -mains £14-18 starters £5-8 etc.
Our total bill for 1 night BB and EM with wine came to c.£180
We would go back as the positioning of the hotel is so nice.Very relaxing.

• Liked — views
  • Tips/Secrets — get down early for breakfast to get a window table
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank occasionalweekender
rotherham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2006

i dont know what the grumpy old soak from leeds was on about this is a fantastic hotel i have been twice allready this year and shall return again to this hidden jewel i found both the new owners charming and welcoming and not at all like the previous stayer from leeds reported i think this guy is making it up the new owners can not do enough for you carol and ian are the perfect mine hosts i would reccomend this hotel to anyone they can not do enough for you and the staff also deserve a thank you for their tireless devotion to duty go there you will not be dissapointed

• Liked — the room we stayed in had just been refurbished and was lovely
  • Disliked — nothing everything was fantastic
  • Tips/Secrets — go there its fantastic in the middle of heartbeat country great for seeing the filming and stars
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank michaelcroarkin
Leeds
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2006

I'll start by explaining that I've been going to Runswick Bay for circa 20 years. It's a place that I hold dear to me. It's such a pity then that the Cliffemount Hotel despite having new ownership / management for over a year still delivers an experience akin to being wiped about the face with a piece of Whitby Haddock.

The previous owner was also aloof so It must be in the title deeds that the place has to be run by a snooty "school matron". I'd put my first experience of the new owners down to teething problems. I have to now come to the conclusion that the current "matron", Carol Rae, simply enjoys being snooty and stuck up.

We'd popped in for a drink in the afternoon as we were staying near by and had been reliably informed by the barmaid that we could reserve a table in the bar for dinner. When we arrived that evening we were told by Ms Rae (as she looked over her spectacles and down her nose at us) that they do not take bookings at the bar. Most welcoming - I think not! Strike one for poor comunication and management between her and her employees.

We decided to stick around and wait for a table and had the pleasure of hearing waitresses being criticised whilst in full view of customers. Someone else was also sacked over the phone. This was not pleasant to witness. Strike two for failing to keep management problems in the back room and for a terrible management style.

A gentleman with his young daughter enetered the bar and asked if the place served children's food. I have never encountered such a patronising reply..."we pride ourselves in the fact that we don't do scampi in a basket food here". This is not what the gentleman had asked for?! Ms Rae should not attempt to judge people by the beachwear that they dress in. I saw the man and his family drive off in a rather expensive vehicle. Strike three for being too judgemental.

If the food is what Ms Rae prides herself in then she must have a low self esteem. My starter failed to be served with the pear and grape chutney as described on the specials board and my halibut was over cooked. Strike four for simply average food at above average prices.

I had been thinking of staying at the Cliffemount again for our wedding anniversary this year. After the below average food, snooty management and a general all around unwelcoming experience (the waitresses were not very friendly either), I will be choosing somewhere else. Its a shame because the location of the place is ideal.

p.s. Terrible spelling on the specials / drinks boards!

• Liked — The bread before the meal
  • Disliked — The owner
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't bother
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled with family
9 Thank AP1234
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2006

We had a good experience with this hotel. It is right on Runswick Bay and has its own car park iwth plenty of spaces. The views were great. Clean and very comfortable room. Good shower and breakfast. They also offered dinner which was very good. We would stay here again.

The only problem was finding it - however, once we were on the right road it was OK.

• Stayed May 2006
3 Thank hotelreviews06
Also consider these accommodations in or near Runswick
The Endeavour Restaurant with Rooms
Gisborough Hall Hotel
Gisborough Hall Hotel
#1 of 2 in Guisborough
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,412 reviews

Been to Cliffemount Hotel? Share your experiences!