Cliffemount Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
Hudsons(Whitby)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsrunswick baybalcony roompremier roomsea viewcleveland waynorth yorkshire coastcliff topbeer gardenevening mealsmall hotelkipperslovely hotelhotel restaurantfish and chipssmoked salmonopen firerelaxing stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 December 2006

On november 17 we arrived at the Cliffemount Hotel in Stunning Runswick bay, having never visited this part of the east coast before. Having read previous reviews of this fine establishment, I can only assume that some people are extremely hard to please. Our 3 nights was a superb break in the most beautiful surroundings, with the most attentive staff going out of their way to please, from the housekeeping to the management. The tood was magnificent in its presentation and flavour.

I would reccomend the Cliffemount Hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank mallinson1163
Reviewed 1 December 2006

It has been interesting reading the reviews of Cliffemount, like some others we have stayed there for a number of years, twice since the hotel changed hands. I fully accept prices have to increase from time to time but the new owners do seem to be trying to pitch it at a level that will turn its regular guests away. On our last stay there it was interesting to hear that they had just lost their chef, the owners were also openly saying to guests that they have given it 2 years to work.

We have always found the staff to be very helpful & have never had a problem. The hotel is in a great location.

We are giving serious thought to finding an alternative but in the Runswick area there is not much competition & maybe this is what the owners have realised

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yordas1
Reviewed 12 November 2006

We have just returned from the Cliffemount having had a one night stop over with our daughter, my mother, grandmother and some friends who were on a two night break.

My wife and I have been staying at the hotel for around 8 years as Runswick Bay is very special to us. The hotel was established by its previous owner Ashley who sold the business to the current owners Mr & Mrs Rae in 2005.

Dealing with the positives first, it is fair to say that the food is better than it ever was with an excellent of seafood and meat dishes. As other reviewers have mentioned the Cliffemount's location is fantastic, overlooking the bay itself. Runswick is a great place to get away from it all and enjoy a pint or two and a stroll on the beach.

With regard to the rooms - there are generally traditional and basic but more than adequate. Our room this weekend overlooked the car park and was showing signs of tiredness with mixed colour towels most of which were frayed.

The new owners seem complacent and have shown few signs of any capital expenditure in their period of ownership - maybe this is planned?

The fundamental problem with this hotel is the attitude of the new owners and their clear lack of hospitality skils. I'm not sure whether we don't meet the Rae's ideal guest criteria but one thing is true - this is not a cheap hotel and paying guests should be treated in a better manner than our experience.

Our friends reported a faulty shower head which sprayed water across the bathroom when on - clearly a problem to guest and proprietor you would think. Seemingly Mr Rae was unable to resolve the matter and no alternative room was offered or apology of any kind.
Another example of "the little things that matter" - we had pre-dinner drinks last night and my wife ordered a house dry white wine which tasted anything but dry - I politely asked the waitress if it could be changed to which the reply was positive albeit at further cost - isn't the customer always right!? Later on at the meal a lemonade was ordered which was clearly flat - this was mentioned to the waitress who gave a sharp response explaining that the beverage was flat because it had been stood for 5 minutes and had ice added!! No sorry Sir/Madam, may I get you something else.
The Cliffemount has is a first class location and custom will be created from that alone - particularly as hotel accommodation in the bay is limited. Shame really - a bit of healthy competition would do the Rae's some good.

I could go on about other little niggling things with the place but you wish to draw your own views. We will be now looking for an alternative get away destination in that area which is a shame having spent many times at the Cliffemount over the years.
We will continue to visit the bay itself and can't recommend that enough.

Hopefully the Rae's will continue to make a mess of things and make way for a new owner in the not too distant future.

Stayed: October 2006
7  Thank TeamBesters
Reviewed 4 October 2006

We stayed at the Cliffemount Hotel last weekend with our two children. Overall, our stay was pleasent. The location of the hotel and the views are very nice and quite special. Our room was spacious, even with two matresses on the floor for the children. The decoration was ok, if slightly scruffy, with a great big hole in the upholstery of the sofa and wallpaper peeling. There was a basic TV and tea and coffee facilities. The bathroom had the best shower I have experienced in a long time. The double bed was queen-sized. We slept very well - even though our window looked out on the hotel car park, we could still have it open without being disturbed at night. Breakfast was in a lovely dining room looking out on the bay. There was a good choice of cooked and cold items and service was pleasant and polite.
On the day of arrival, we were met by Mrs. Rae, who was a little sharp. It was maybe our fault, as we arrived an hour early, however, I would not have described her attitude as perfect customer service. She made up for it at breakfast time when she was very pleasant to our children. When we checked out, Mr. Rae told me about just having to let go of his general and assistant manager, and I had to notice that for such a staff crisis, service was actually running smoothly, if you don't consider the wrong bill I was presented (he corrected it instantly). I was slightly surprised when he said that he considered "any work to do with the general public" as "hard work", as we represented the general public, and I hadn't felt that I had caused him hard work.
My biggest complaint about Cliffemount hotel would be the children's surcharge: Children older than 3 years old have to pay £28 each when staying with their parents. For two children, that would be £56, when the grown-ups pay £85. Considering that my two children slept on the floor on matresses and ate a portion of cereal for breakfast each, I would have been very unhappy to pay that much for them. But luckily I didn't have to: my younger one is 3 (£10 supplement normally), and I had agreed a combined price of £28 with the (now departed) assistant manager. It might be worth trying to negotiate (although Mr. Rae said that kind of unauthorised negotiations were why he let go of the manager).
In summary: Waitress service, attitude towards children breakfast and location: spot on.
Room: ok-ish
Price: Fair for the room, too much for the children
Attitude of the owners: might want to work on their attitude regarding customer relations.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family
3  Thank kfs2404
Reviewed 2 October 2006

This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel.
Runswick bay itself is a lovely little village with lots of paths that run around the houses allowing you to explore.
The hotel is an unremarkable red building above the village however its position results in it offering fantastic views.
On our first visit we stayed in an attic room which offered views to 2 sides including the bay.
This time we decided to stay in a suite. The weather however was not on our side and it stayed resolutely foggy! However, these rooms have a balcony so at night you can open the window/door and hear the waves in the distance- very relaxing.
The food is to a good standard although I do think it is a little pricey -mains £14-18 starters £5-8 etc.
Our total bill for 1 night BB and EM with wine came to c.£180
We would go back as the positioning of the hotel is so nice.Very relaxing.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple