“Lose the grapefruit segments!”
Review of Cliffemount Hotel

Cliffemount Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Runswick
Reviewed 23 July 2007

We have long planned to visit the Cliffemount-and what a disappointment! Two plusses: the view of the bay from our room was fabulous,despite the poor weather,& given the downsides we experienced,we were glad we paid the extra.Dinner was also good, though the menu varies daily as to be expected & we wished we'd eaten on the Friday instead of the Saturday when it was much more interesting ie lobster & green-lipped mussels.
Now to the downsides. Our first encounter with the owner was telling us we had parked in an inconvenient place (not sure who for) - despite being in the hotel car park! Not a very nice welcome.
Then we had the temerity to move a chair while eating in the bar & when we finished it was ostentatiously returned to its original position as 'it was blocking the door' .The next night we were told to remain 'in the bar' because we had dared to look in the restaurant for our booked table. I don't appreciate being treated like a naughty schoolchild when paying £215 per night for bed & breakfast.Owner customer service leaves a lot to be desired (though serving staff were much more pleasant)...The rooms are tired and need updating-our shower/bath combination resulted in a soaking as we vainly tried to work out the controls;I had to ask for a hairdryer and the drawers on the bedside tables fell apart when I opened them.Ah and breakfast...I can't recall when I last stayed in a hotel boasting about its food which offered TINNED grapefruit segments at breakfast.I felt as if I'd returned to Fawlty Towers.Some fresh fruit would be appreciated - its 2007 not 1977! Drinks are ridiculously overpriced : £3.30 for a TINY glass of lukewarm pinot grigio! Shall I go on? Needless to say,we won't be returning to the Cliffemount.

Stayed: July 2007
3  Thank RomaSubRosa

Reviewed 15 July 2007

I recently visited the Cliffemount Hotel for the third time.
My two previous visits were made when the previous owner was in charge.
The difference is amazing.
The previous owner was friendly, hospitable and gracious.The present owners do not have these personal skills.
My bedroom was dated and tired. The bed was too soft and was past its best. The kettle was old and grubby, the bedding was too hot and heavy for July. The bathroom was tired, the shower splashed all over the wall if not on full power. The wash basin was cracked, the loo roll holder fell apart when touched.
Service was minimal , with no smile. Breakfast was well cooked and tasty, but the waitress never asked anyone whether they needed more tea , coffee or toast. I have no doubt they would have been forthcoming if asked for but they should have been offered.
More choice should be available, different juices, local honey and jam, crusty rolls etc.
After all this is no cheap or even moderate priced B and B.
The chef cooks wonderful meals but not everyone needs three courses every night.
I opted for a smaller meal, chose what I thought was one off the chalk board in the bar, only to find out these were starters for the restaurant meals. People on the next table were served a bar meal, which is what I would have prefered. I asked why I hadnt been shown the 'Bar menu'. The owner said , '' Well you will know for next time, wont you''.
There was no next time, as I ate in the Magpie fish restaurant in Whitby the next evening. Very good it was, too.
This hotel is in an unenviable position on the cliff edge overlooking a beautiful bay. There is great potential to make this hotel a first class establishment. Sorry to say the present owners seem reluctant to upgrade the rooms and to give hospitality of a standard the price demands.
I hope someone with imagination and flair takes it over soon.

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank mhhol
Reviewed 5 July 2007

We booked a room with countryside views, room was clean and bright but really no difference in quality to the many good b&b's we've stayed in over the years- so to be charged around £90 for the room seemed very over priced...

Runswick Bay is lovely but in terms of nightlife there is only one other pub and as this was deserted (in the middle of June on a Saturday night!) we chose to eat in the hotel restaurant- what a mistake! It seemed expensive - around £7 for a starter and £14 for a main but we went ahead and ordered...we both had scallaps for starters which were chewy and tastless and our mains- pork for me, steak for him- were over-cooked- the most incredible part of my meal was the mash potato which, I'm convinced was instant smash!!- the whole meal was around fifty pounds and a real let down. Oh and as mentioned by previous reviewers, the napkins are still paper!. Breakfast was much better however- we both very hungry from the night before!

And did I mention the gin and tonic ? around £4!!!

Overall a pleasant stay but overpriced......

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank amandaclare
Reviewed 30 January 2007

After reading the negative feedback for this hotel on your website we feel it only fair to give our opinion of our brief stay at this establishment. This was our first visit to Runswick Bay and although slightly expensive, we believe one gets what one pays for. The cost of our long weekend was reflected in the excellent room with balcony overlooking wonderful views of Runswick Bay. We found the facilities of the hotel to be spacious, tastefully decorated and all staff polite and more than happy to accomodate any of our requests. We found the food to be varied and of an extremely high standard, catering for both my tastes and that of my partner who preferes vegetarian cuisine. It was also refreshing to see a varied and extensive wine list, once again catering for all tastes. We would highly reccommend this establishment to anyone who seeks a relaxing and tranquil break from the normal 'run of the mill hotel'. We look forward to returning to the Cliffemout Hotel in the near future, and would like to thank everyone connected with this establishment for a wonderful relaxing break.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
7  Thank salim-green
Reviewed 11 January 2007

I took my wife there for a 4 day break for her 75th birthday.
The hotel was a real disappointment after reading a very favourable report in a well regarded hotel guide, for 2005! Never again will I use an out of date guide.
I intended to send a review but on reading some of your reviews prior to June 2006 I wondered if it was us who were over critical. However, some more recent reviews are rather different and reviewers appear to have similar views to our's!
We had a super room with balcony and sea views, although the bathroom was a bit tatty, loo seat was loose etc.
However, we became suspicious at dinner which was poor, with paper napkins (tissues), and halibut which when I asked if it was locally caught I was assured it was, at Staithes. No fishing boats to be seen there !
When we complained at the paper tissues for napkins we were told the laundry did not come back until Friday, so sure enough proper napkins appeared at dinner on Friday but back to paper on Monday. We were told that Mr & Mrs Rae (who were away when we arrived) were considering buying some more but had not yet made a decision, but if and when they did decide, then it would be proper napkins every evening !
Breakfasts we moderate but dinners continued to be very poor value and some evenings an absolute disgrace,
We had no complaints with the staff who coped well in the absence of the proprietors. I was appalled at being charged 50p per minute for using the 'phone in our room only to be told by Mr Rae on paying our bill that we would have had to pay £1 /minute
at an hotel such as the London Hilton ! I pointed out that we were not staying at a Hilton but a very indifferent hotel in North Yorkshire. We stayed at 4 other hotels in 2006 none of which charged us for occasional modest use of hotel phones.
All in all a disaster, in such a wonderful part of North Yorkshire

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple
5  Thank bobandbrenda
Reviewed 4 December 2006

On november 17 we arrived at the Cliffemount Hotel in Stunning Runswick bay, having never visited this part of the east coast before. Having read previous reviews of this fine establishment, I can only assume that some people are extremely hard to please. Our 3 nights was a superb break in the most beautiful surroundings, with the most attentive staff going out of their way to please, from the housekeeping to the management. The tood was magnificent in its presentation and flavour.

I would reccomend the Cliffemount Hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mallinson1163
Reviewed 1 December 2006

It has been interesting reading the reviews of Cliffemount, like some others we have stayed there for a number of years, twice since the hotel changed hands. I fully accept prices have to increase from time to time but the new owners do seem to be trying to pitch it at a level that will turn its regular guests away. On our last stay there it was interesting to hear that they had just lost their chef, the owners were also openly saying to guests that they have given it 2 years to work.

We have always found the staff to be very helpful & have never had a problem. The hotel is in a great location.

We are giving serious thought to finding an alternative but in the Runswick area there is not much competition & maybe this is what the owners have realised

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yordas1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Runswick
Raithwaite Estate
#5 of 20 in Whitby
Grinkle Park Hotel
Grinkle Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Easington

Been to Cliffemount Hotel? Share your experiences!