“Fantastic food with bay views too!”
Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Runswick
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
UK
“Fantastic food with bay views too!”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stopped here to enquire about previous owners / managers of the Royal Hotel as my Grandmother and her Grandparents worked at the Royal probably at some time between 1900 - 1916.
What a lovely little hotel situated on Runswick Bay. A very friendly bar, food was really good with plenty of choice. We had a hot lunch, my husband had the scampi and I had the chicken Ticka Masala. We also ordered some take away sandwiches. Great views too. Would definitely come back.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank goodi134

Cumbria
“Great pub great view.”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

One of the best pub views in the country and I should know. The beer is excellent and the atmosphere very friendly.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank peterliddle12
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Much improved food and seating”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Since my previous review there have been improvements at The Royal. I wasn't particularly bothered about going back, but called in to check the menu as the pub was so convenient for my short stay in Runswick Bay. I was pleasantly surprised as not only had the menu improved but also the place had been refurbished with more comfortable seating. The food was much better too. I shall definitely be going back when I next stay in lovely Runswick Bay

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank NigelJWHall
Newcastle
“We'd have liked...”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

...to spend whatever it would have cost for five pints - probably the thick part of £18 - and after a hot, sticky, tiring, thirsty walk from Staithes we were pleased to see the hotel sandwich board which read "OPEN ALL DAY".

Sadly we couldn't give this business £18 because at 11.45 am it was SHUT! and wouldn't open until 12. The woman who answered our knock on the door wouldn't serve three thirsty travellers because we were 15 minutes too early. How dismal is that?

So, what constitutes "all day" in Runswick Bay? What does "all day" mean in this part of the world?
It certainly doesn't include 11.45am.

Are we so hidebound by opening times that a business couldn't open their doors 15 minutes early? Is the hotel coining in so much money it doesn't need the business and can afford to turn away customers? Madness!

When next our group of walkers pass by this way we won't be stopping here that's for sure.
Doesn't matter how hot and thirsty we are.

4 Thank Wainwright007
West Witton, United Kingdom
“Good pub grub”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Location ideal for sitting looking at the beautiful scenery. Husband would like better choice of local beer not just Black Sheep

Visited June 2014