“Good tour, but did not match itinerary”

Johannesburg Urban Adventures
Book In Advance
More Info
US$83.63*
and up
Johannesburg Tour: Cycle Soweto with a Local Guide
Ranked #132 of 181 Tours in Greater Johannesburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Johannesburg Urban Adventures offers unique and authentic day tours around Johannesburg. They range from 2 hour to 1 day adventures and uncover back streets, hidden gems, and fascinating sights. Step into the lives of locals, find out what makes the city tick, and get acquainted with the local food, culture, and traditions of Johannesburg. A local expert guide will provide the knowledge and lead you through a fantastic urban experience.
Reviewed 5 April 2013

We enjoyed this tour but it would have been made better if we had been able to go into the Mandela House. Our cycle part of this tour had been booked for 3.00pm (which we found out on the day) - only problem is that they cannot guarantee the time...due to previous tours etc running late ... and we had to be back by 5.30 to meet a transfer to the airport. Recommend that if you have to be back for a specific time you ask them to book your cycle tour earlier. Luckily, we were able to change the time of the cycle part. We also did not get lunch...so the itinerary cannot be taken literally (eg meet for lunch). Our guide was great...we were the only two on the J'burg part of the tour and the Apartheid Musuem is to be recommended. We went on a Sunday so the city centre was dead...if you want to see J'burg in full swing and have a choice of days....go another day!

Reviewed 21 February 2013

Amazing experience! The guides were very pleseant and paciently with me, because I'm not a good cyclist, and the tour shows everything you need to see in Soweto.

Reviewed 17 August 2011

What a fantastic trip. I loved every minute of my Cycle Soweto Urban adventure. It was a very interesting way to cover alot of ground in an amazing part of the country. The people were so friendly, the kids all came out to wave and give high fives. Our guide was just amazing, singing and ensuring everyone was safe and well. You don't have to be a pro biker to do this trip as it is at a leisurely pace...there are a few hills to get your heart pumping but those hills also give you a great view. Get off those tour buses and hit the streets on the bike to see Soweto the real way!

Reviewed 5 January 2011

Urban Adventures Cycle Soweto trip is a great way to get out and see the real Johannesburg. Having travelled a fair bit, its often hard to get under the skin of a city in just a few hours, but this trip was the perfect day.
J'burg can be an intimidating city to explore alone, but the Cycle Soweto trip took all the hassle out with stops at Constitution Hill, City Centre, Apartheid Museum (awesome!) and finally with an afternoon cycle through Soweto - a highlight of my visit to Africa.
Do this trip - you won't be disappointed.

See more reviews
Reviewed 25 October 2010

I had a 24 hour layover in Johannesburg and wanted to see as much as possible. After checking out the Jozi forums, I was concerned for my safety and budget to try to go around the city myself. I thought I would give Urban Adventures a try at $95 per person (the Cycle Soweto tour). This fee covers lunch, the bicycle tour and all attraction admission fees.

We got off to a rough start when the guides were 45 minutes late. They did call my hotel’s concierge to let me know they were running late. Since I was the only person that signed up for the day that I was there, they picked me up in a personal vehicle. I had two great guides that wanted to tailor the day to what I wanted it to be. While they were very nice and accommodating, I felt they didn’t know as much as I would have expected. There were a lot of questions they were not able to answer.

Stops for me during the morning included the Carlton Center, Ellis Park Stadium, the Apartheid Museum and Soccer City. In the afternoon, I was taken to “Lebo’s Cycle Soweto” for a bike tour of Soweto (the Southwestern Township of over 4 million people).

Unfortunately, the bicycle tour office was not expecting me. After we finally got going, we took around a two hour ride with stops throughout the township including lunch at a local restaurant. Twice we had to get replacement bikes due to flat tires. We cycled through a village and entered a former government hostel, met locals, went to the Hector Pieterson Memorial (did not have time to go into the museum) and the former adult home of Nelson Mandela (also did not have time to visit the home). Apparently there is a longer tour where you can actually visit these spots instead of ride through and hear the guide briefly talk about them. If you are interested in just the bike tour, you may want to contact Lebo's directly. Lebo's seems to be a bit of a malfunctioning operation but I still enjoyed the ride. Probably best to go into it with lower expectations than I had.

If you are looking for a general tour of Jozi and want to see and experience as much as possible for less than $100US, you should consider this Urban Adventures option. Hopefully your experience goes a little smoother.

3  Thank DaveLD