“Good standard overall with some improvements needed ”
Review of Ascot Hotel

Ascot Hotel
Ranked #110 of 224 Hotels in Greater Johannesburg
London, United Kingdom
“Good standard overall with some improvements needed ”
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

The service was excellent and most things were of a good standard with the only criticism being the pillows and the length of the beds making for an uncomfortable nights sleep...

The gentlemen at the front desk was very obliging with the various requests..

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank wallerthegreat
asc0th0tel, Manager at Ascot Hotel, responded to this review, 27 September 2015
Thank you for your wonderful review.

Please note that at the Ascot we always aim to please - so should you have requested - we could have always given you different pillows...

As long as we were obliging and helpful and always service orientated - we are doing half of our job!

Thank you again ...

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Was in Joburg on business and my normal accommodation was full so booked into the Ascot.

Stayed at the Ascot before hand and it was definitely better. The hotel seems to be going down the tubes similar to the area. You don't see the owner, just the immigrant staff members who are only interested in securing your payment and nothing else. I don't blame the owner employing immigrants but it would be nice to see some South Africans. The owner should also think about investing some time in himself in the place so clients see him/her.

Pricing is not exactly cheap, R1500 for a night's stay. If I paid slightly more I could stay at an amazing place, If paid slightly less I could stay in a stunning guest house. The room stank of cheap air freshener when I arrived which wasnt great for my allergies.

My room was noisy all night and overlooked some tire repair place. When evening came, someone in the block opposite started up a fire which flooded my room with smoke. You can't blame the hotel its just the area that it's in.

It's only plus point is it's close proximity to the SPAR, Woolworths and restaurants in the area in case you dont have a car which is great as you can walk.

The thing which really got on my nerves was the fact that I had to leave early morning for a meeting and the guy at the guest kept me waiting 15 minutes while he checked the mini bar. On returning he played the normal game of not having any change for a large note.....charming place.

The thing about a small boutique hotel is that in order to keep it's clientele they need to either have an amazingly modern hip place in a good area or they need to have super service. The Ascot has neither I am afraid. They need to up there game or maybe they just dont care.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
asc0th0tel, Manager at Ascot Hotel, responded to this review, 27 September 2015
This is a very late response to your review, Our apologies here but we have just worked out how to respond on Trip Advisor.

We are sorry your stay was not up to your standard. No room has ever been charged at R1500 per night at the Ascot - so I am not sure where you got that amount from. It sounds like you stayed in a Superior Room so that would not have been more than R1000 per night including breakfast.
Not bad value for money - the owner is always there - and we have excellent service and front office staff - I suppose we can't please all of the people all of the time - as that old adage goes..

As for the area - well - what can we say - its an urban environment - and we employ people of all shapes, sizes and races - that is not a problem to us - as long as they work hard, treat our guests with the utmost respect - and of course always offer service with a smile!

Thank you for your review..
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 8 October 2013

When myself and the Fiance decided we needed a night away at a hotel little did we know what awaited us would be a night of interest. I shall begin by finding a parking. To say that it was difficult to find one on Grant Avenue would be like saying "Well Stalin was quite a naughty man".When Columbus set sail to find the new world im convinced he went via Norwood thus prolonging his trip a further few years. Once we had circumnavigated the area and found parking at the Hotel we then checked in which was painless enough. The turning of the screw came when we asked if the kitchen for dinner was still open. I believe the time was 20h00 you would have thought I had proceeded to do my Groucho Marx routine with the amount of mirth it gave the man behind the counter. After unpacking in the room I then decided to go to the Italian Tratoria to get dinner. At least a 10 minute walk away. After dinner I must say the King sized beds and gowns did go down a treat. The shower was very roomy. The next morning we had our breakfasts which were quite enjoyable.I reccomend the Kipper Brekkie. On the whole not a terrifying experience however not exactly the ritz.

Room Tip: Arrive at 16h00 for dinner
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
asc0th0tel, Manager at Ascot Hotel, responded to this review, 27 September 2015
Thank you for your review..albeit we are replying after quite a long while..

That is quite an interesting way that you write Sir, and may we apologise for the inconvenience in you find a parking. We do offer underground parking for all of our guests - although one does need a special licence to navigate the drive up and down due to a narrow entrance and exit.

The Italian restaurant is about a 1 minute walk away from the hotel, with a large variety of different places that have obviously since your stay 2 years ago, opened! Norwood is quite an interesting, charming and fun little place to hang out.

Our restaurant is open from 5pm until 10pm - so not quite sure why you could not receive dinner - and we apologise for that - but that comes as a surprise reading this, as by 8 in evening our chefs are very much in the kitchen and on duty.

None-the-less we are glad that you enjoyed the rooms and the gowns - and thank you again
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 25 September 2013

As a hotelier I was pleaseantly surprised with this BTQ Hotel.I was greeted warmly , all ammenities explained to me and was allocated a lovely room .Sorry I drenshed the bathroom , me showering like a mad man.Great food , but next time would like some real bacon for breakfast.Rooms well appointed and a extra plus for the balcony to smoke on.Very friendly staff and well trained.Next time I will use the Spa.Well done guys.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank GeraldG729
asc0th0tel, Manager at Ascot Hotel, responded to this review, 27 September 2015
Thank you for your wonderful review. Such kind words, and apologies for the late response to it!

We are very proud of our hotel and have made leaps and strides since your last visit, so please come again ...

We can't promise you bacon - as we do not serve pork - but we do have macon (beef equivalent) and our hotel has grown in experience, as has our well price restaurant..

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Terrible location, not suited to business needs. Extremely arrogant owner, poorly trained staff. Avoid. There are many more cheaper options with greater value in surrounding suburbs. Parking is a nightmare, Grant avenue is degenerative, the atmosphere is hostel like. The hotel hides behind the facade of an uplift but in all honesty is a waste of money. Not worth the experience, overall added an unpleasant nature to my stay in jhb.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
asc0th0tel, Manager at Ascot Hotel, responded to this review, 27 September 2015
Although this review is extremely old and although our hotel has obviously grown and taken leaps and bounds we are sorry that your stay with us was so AWFUL - I am not sure who the owner was that was extremely arrogant - as that is not what the hotel has ever been about - no one dare be arrogant in this day and age. Our hotel has an abundance of corporate clients who use us time and time again - because we offer extreme value for money, wonderful service, absolutely clean and tidy rooms and a restaurant that offers a nice array of delicious foods - what's more we our staff and our service often sees us being awarded with certificates for service excellence - so awful - well ...we are sorry you felt that way ...

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We stayed at this hotel recently, the manager was very amenable and the staff very friendly. The room was large and spacious and well laid out.
Really got great value for the price we paid, I'd recommend this hotel to all my friends and family

Room Tip: Take the Royal Suite it's not much more expensive than the rest and is really amazing
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
asc0th0tel, Manager at Ascot Hotel, responded to this review, 27 September 2015
Thank you for your wonderful review, positive feedback and all round niceness!!

Please come again soon, its guests like you that make our daily jobs all the more worth it!!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We stayed at the Ascot Boutique Hotel and it was really luxurious. Contemporary decor throughout common areas and modern design, quality plumbing, quality linens in the guest room. The only imporvements I would ask for is electronic chargers (phones, Ipad) at the bedside table & a 2nd luggage rack. The staff were attentive, helpful & arranged a tour of Soweto for us. The restaurant has very good food for breakfast and the dinner was ok. There are lots of Italian restaurants nearby in this Kosher community. Conveniently located near Houghton Golf Course.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Asim O
asc0th0tel, Manager at Ascot Hotel, responded to this review, 27 September 2015
Thank you for your wonderful review.

It is always so nice to see that all of our hard work is not going to waste by people who enjoy complaining for the sake of it!!!

You're a star - come back anytime - the welcome mat is out and waiting...