“SERVICE COUNTS”

Ranked #146 of 224 Hotels in Greater Johannesburg
GABORONE
“SERVICE COUNTS”
Reviewed 23 November 2011

We always stay here when we visit Johannesburg as it is in a quiet location for the evening stop over.The City Lodge concept is well known and is our preferred choice for city stays.On our last trip we had booked in advance and when we arrived we were informed that there was no water at all in the hotel due to a municipal problem. The stafff were brilliant and arranged an immediate transfer to a sister hotel some 3 kms away. No fuss, no bother just great service and lots of smiles.

Room Tip: Ask for pool facing rooms and then you will not have the carpark noises in the morning.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FAMLEE

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Korean first
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Room are great. Clean and comfortable. No frills.

On the negative side, tv is mediocre, wifi is expensive. Hotel has no vibe. It's a little soul-less. That said, it's still where I stay regularly for short business trips because it's very central, and good value for money?

Don't eat the food.

Room Tip: Get a room that faces in towards the garden.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Bloemfontein, South Africa
Reviewed 12 August 2010

I stayed here on the 9th July and I have no complaints about the hotel itself, the establishment is fine for a night or two with all the basics.

I decided to make another booking again for a one night stay in August and this is where I encountered problems with service.

An Amount for R 877.70 went off my Credit Card by City Lodge Katherine Street Sandton on the 30th July. I made my booking online on the 29 July to stay for one night at the City Lodge on the 5th August, I have the booking confirmation showing the date and time.

On the 4th August I cancelled the booking (I still have the cancellation confirmation clearly showing the date and time.)

The Terms and Conditions of City Lodge state the following:

Should you cancel your reservation prior to 12 midday on the day of arrival you will be refunded within 7 days of the cancellation process.

Should you cancel your reservation after 12 midday on the day of arrival you will be charged for the first night's accommodation and the remainder nights will be refunded by the hotel within 7 days. Please ensure you email all required details to the respective hotel.
This can be verified by going on their website.

The amount of R877.70 had in fact had already been cleared on my credit card and no refund was given. When I contacted City Lodge Katherine Street Sandton on the 11 August I was told by a lady called Thandie that I must fax them my credit card statement? I am not very comfortable with doing this for obvious privacy and security issues. WARNING IN SOUTH AFRICA YOU NEVER DO THIS FRAUD IS LIKE BREATHING HERE. So instead of someone doing their job at accounts and checking if in fact the credit was issued (like perhaps calling their bank- just a suggestion) they instead make it the customer's problem.

I have the Cancellation Confirmation that they sent me via email on the 4th of August which clearly shows the date and time of the cancellation.
To date I still have no refund and after numerous calls and emails my only alternative is to go to my bank and make a charge back.
It is a small amount but if they fail to refund one night what is to say they will refund a larger amount?

I will never again have anything to do with City Lodge. I get the impression they hope you will forget about them taking your money or hope you will not check your credit card statemen

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
5 Thank nikkiTT
Newcastle
Reviewed 25 March 2010

This Lodge was the part of an organized tour. If ever we returned to Johannesburg, the Lodge would be our first choice. Room pleasant and staff outstanding. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SKINewcastle
New Jersey
Reviewed 25 February 2010

Very clean, comfortable hotel. Nothing special, just a big box hotel. Down the road from the huge Sandton City mall, but not really within easy walking distance. It is within walking distance of a much smaller mall that has a grocery store and a couple of restaurants. The rooms are pretty spacious, good wifi access and big work spaces. Nice flat-screen TV's with DSTV. They messed up both my and my colleague's airport transfer, so if you want to stay there you should be sure to confirm your arrangement (although we both did and it didn't help). The staff were a bit disaffected, not particularly friendly or helpful, but never rude. There's a good restaurant on the hotel property that does a really good steak. I prefer the City Lodge Sandton City but this is a slightly cheaper alternative. If you're in town for meetings and want to stay a couple of nights you can't really go wrong, it's not going to blow you away but you'll be happy enough.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Mazibuko
Sopot, Poland
Reviewed 12 February 2010

All things were alright ;) I recommended this hotel for everyone , for business and holiday ;)

Stayed February 2010
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 19 December 2009

We had taken our office staff to J'burg for Christmas for 4 days. For a 3 star hotel it was great.

Check in was very slow (past midnight), and the lady was busy talking on the phone, so we had to hurry her up. There is no concierge service, so you need to haul your bags around.

The rooms are of a decent size, with a double bed (comfy with good pillows, blanket, and throw). There is a large work desk, safe that can fit a lap top, a single seater sofa with foot stool, and coffee table, tea and coffee making facilities, and a small cupboard. The room was very comfortable, had excellent air conditioning, and a TV with satellite television.

The bathroom had a good power shower, and separate bath. The towels were of good quality.

Breakfast was excellent with good service. Not pretentious at all. There was an egg station with hot food choices, fruits, cereal, pastries and breads, cold cuts and cheese. Juice, water, tea and coffee. It was a very good breakfast for a 3 star hotel. The hotel does serve some light meals, but has menus for various fast food and restaurants that deliver. You are welcome to use their breakfast room to eat food from outside, and they will supply you wit crockery and cutlery. This was a brilliant idea.

There is a pool, and mini gym, as well as some vending machines.

The only let down was the taxi service. It is operated by some foreigners, who have no real idea where they are going, are very expensive (more then 5 star hotels we had stayed in at Sandton), and very rude. After 2 days, we got the number for other operators, and called our own transport.

The hotel is 5 minutes drive from Sandton City shopping mall.

Overall an very good hotel, that was extremely comfortable, had good service and a great breakfast. I would use this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends