Came back to the Apollo after their recent renovations.
I didn't stay in the new wing, and stayed in one of the rooms in the refurbished old wing.
I actually prefer this wing due to the lovely views across the bushland and the valley outside.
Staff are lovely, and room was spotlessly clean and tidy and a very good size. Bed very comfortable. Such a good location, so I always make this my base in the Newcastle area when I stay here.
A few things I was a little disappointed in regarding the new renovations:
1) The room was renovated, however, the air conditioner wasn't a new one and was an older one kept from the room previously. Whilst it did the job, it was quite noisy.
2) I was surprised to see that the room service menu hadn't been rejuvenated / upgraded along with the hotel and still offered the same choices and is a little bit limited in selection. It does the job, but a few more selections would be handy.
3) The bathroom is quite dark, particularly in the shower area, even when both bathroom lights are on. Not an issue for me, but maybe for ladies who need to do make-up etc.
4) I know that these days its good to "be green" and consequently, the hotel has fitted energy-saving halogen bulbs in the rooms. Whilst good environmentally, they do cast a very harsh light around the room at night time, not a "soft" light that a conventional bulb would emit, and consequently, despite having modern fittings, the room doesn't really have any "warmth" about it when the lights are switched on at night time. It felt quite clinical at night-time being in the room.
5) If they could add the FOX FOOTY channel in the future, the selection on the TV would be excellent. (Yes, I'm a footy fan and miss my coverage when travelling for work).
These are very small issues, and wouldn't put me off staying here again - and it shouldn't for you either. However, if I was re-designing a hotel I would have thought about these things - particularly the lighting. It's the small things that make a difference sometimes. This is the best hotel in this area of Newcastle, and with large clean rooms, and friendly staff who make you feel welcome, I am always happy to come back here.
A very reliable, consistent hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- BEST WESTERN PLUS Apollo International Hotel is a 94 room, recently totally renovated and extended 4.5 star hotel, located 10 minutes south of Newcastle CBD and providing easy access to the city and local beaches. Set against a backdrop of native bush reserve, Apollo International provides quality accommodation, professional personalised service and well appointed modern facilities. Just minutes drive to the heart of Newcastle and 2 hours from Sydney via the F3 expressway. Unmistakable in appearance, the hotel offers arguably the newest, largest and most luxurious guest rooms in Newcastle. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Best Western Plus Apollo International Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quality Inn Newcastle
- Best Western Plus Apollo International Hotel Charlestown, Greater Newcastle, Australia