“Great hotel in Newcastle” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Best Western Plus Apollo International

Best Western Plus Apollo International
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Charlestown
Des Moines, Iowa
“Great hotel in Newcastle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

Staying at the Apollo Quality Hotel in Charlestown was a lovely surprise for a last-minute over-nighter to Newcastle. A beautiful standard room with a private balcony overlooking a small forest of eucalypts, great staff and what looked to be (we had to eat elsewhere) restaurant. It was also a great price and well above the standard we expected.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Linear5, Owner at Best Western Plus Apollo International, responded to this review, 11 February 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your enthusiastic review. Your endorsement of the efforts of our hard-working, and professional, team is much appreciated. We do hope that you will stay with us again on your travels and we wish you well. Warm regards - Guest Relations Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

This hotel looked good from the road, and a lot of things about were good, the downsides I found were:
1. a lot of stairs and no lift
2. the main light in my room was out
3. The chair for the desk was broken
4. The shower head kept falling down
And I would have addressed these except the receptionist when I arrived was not too friendly, and being asked to pay in advance put me off having breakfast the following morning and ending up with another account. As a pleasant surprise I found the reception staff in the morning much better - and I would stay here again, would just need nore energy when I arrived.

Room Tip: I'd like a room with level access, and the views over the gardens in the rear are great!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Linear5, Owner at Best Western Plus Apollo International, responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Thank you for your review. Please note that there is a lift in the new wing, but not in the existing wing of the hotel. We are concerned that your perception was that the receptionist, on arrival, was unfriendly. We assure you that our staff is committed to service and we invite you to call our General Manager, David Ingleton, on 4943 6733 to discuss any of your concerns. We are very sorry about the maintenance issues that you have raised. Both the light, of which we were unaware, and the chair have been replaced/repaired. We do look forward to welcoming you back again and invite you to call David before your next visit, so as to ensure that your stay is as enjoyable as it should be. Again, we apologise and do hope that you will give us another go!
With regards - Guest Relations Director
Here'n'there
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

Really, very good. Not perfect, but the imperfections were trivial in comparison to what's good about the place.

Easy to find, easy free parking. Not quite as close to Charlestown Square as some reviews have suggested - I used my car odometer to measure and came up with a minimum 700 metre walk. That's not into the car park, just to the entrance closest to the hotel. I have difficulty walking so I know that the difference between 'a few hundred metres' and '700 metres' can be significant.

I arrived after 8pm and their computer was down. Desk staff Stacey was frustrated with that, but didn't let it impede her friendliness and helpful manner with me. Her gorgeous Dublin accent led us into a nice chat while she tried to sort things out. After some ups and downs taking five or ten minutes she upgraded me to a room with spa bath, which I enjoyed immensely and made up for the wait. Given how annoying it can be when you're trying to serve someone and the computer freezes, she did an excellent job.

The room was great - spacious, well-appointed, clean and tidy, comfortable, quiet, a view of bushland with peeks of Newcastle through the trees.

The building overall has a few small signs of wear and tear - a little rip in the hall carpet outside my door, for instance. Inside my room there was no such problem, though.

I went to the hotel restaurant, Babbingtons, for dinner. Staff were friendly, helpful and unobtrusive. Seafood chowder, grilled crispy-skinned chicken, chocolate mousse, gin & tonic, glass of merlot, coffee, for less than $75. The food was good; good ingredients, well-prepared. The only exception was the bearnaise sauce with the chicken. It had been sitting for long enough to have a crust, and there was little taste of tarragon. Admittedly, I was a very late arrival, but they would have been wiser to say it was not available. Other than that, literally everything else was delicious.

The wine/beer list is a bit thin. I'm not an aficionado; it doesn't bother me. But I noticed how few beers there were and realised that some of my friends would be disappointed.

Back to my room to do a little work before that spa-bath and a very good night's sleep in a very comfortable bed.

I ordered breakfast in the room and it was good, although not exceptional. Poached eggs, good quality bacon, sausages, mushrooms, hash brown, sourdough, Just Right, apple juice, toast and marmalade, tea. The jam was an ordinary Kraft packet, and I think they could probably do better, but it was certainly acceptable.

Check out was smooth, staff again very friendly without being in any way pushy. I recently needed to look into residential aged care for my mother and all my friends advised me "Don't worry about little problems; the staff is what really matters." Similarly here. There were a few little niggles but the staff attitude and atmosphere of the place was exceptionally comfortable for me, and everything except the niggles was good quality. I would unhesitatingly recommend.

Room Tip: Even though the property fronts the highway, I get the impression all rooms are pretty quiet. There...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Michael J
GeneralManagerApollo, General Manager at Best Western Plus Apollo International, responded to this review, 4 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide your review, in particular your acknowledgement of the friendly and professional service that you enjoyed during your stay. Our team is committed to providing a warm welcome and personal service and our many return guests are always appreciative of this – we trust that you have opportunity to return at some time soon and that your next experience is equally enjoyable.
Whilst it is pleasing to know that your food and beverage experiences were positive, we take your comments regarding the béarnaise sauce and the Kraft jam on board and will address these operational issues as appropriate. Again, many thanks for your very positive comments, they are appreciated. With regards – General Manager
Gold Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2012

On our return trip from Perisher and after staying on the snow in a Lodge with extremely uncomfortable beds and exhausted from a very active holiday, we wanted somewhere comfy & new. We were so impressed with this Hotel, opened 24/7 meant we didn't have to rush for check in, the staff were very friendly on arrival. Wifi, morning papers and choice of low fat/full fat milk were included. We stayed on the ground floor which was super convenient, we could just park our heavily packed car and move straight to our room with sleeping children. Parking was aplenty and included in the rate. Location was very easy to get to. Loved the door to the balcony which had a great outlook to nature, lovely bushland, singing birds and lovely landscape on the premises and allowed fresh air into the room. This hotel was extremely clean, we were very impressed and would most definiately return here again. The only very small thing I didn't like was no where to put my toiletries bag as the bathroom basin had literally no bench, so had to use one outside the bathroom.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 214 and this room was newly renovated and had a larger deck than other rooms, alth...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Chiddles
Thank you for taking time to post your very positive review.
It is pleasing that you were able to enjoy our facilities and relax a while, following your big trip and perhaps we may have the pleasure to welcome you back on a future visit to Newcastle. Regards – General Manager
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2012

Stayed 1 night on 22 Sep, with wife and two children. Room was pretty good size for 4, but would have been better if we could have had 2 single beds for chids instead of the uncomfortable sofa bed, but it was the last room in hotel, the adult bed was pretty comfortable. Bathroom was great,good shower, fluffy towels, good body products, but needs more shelf/vanity space, exhaust ventilation was inadequate as the room got a bit rank. TV selection great, but the Free WIFI could of been good if we could connect to it, worked great at reception, it's the 21st century folks get a booster(Dick S for about $100). Full breakfast for 2 was included in rate(great value) & continental for chids $11.00 each, but got stiffed for a proper good coffee $4, the included espresso was the worst dish water I have experienced in any place in the world, the room satchets were better value, come on guys lift the game. The staff upon arrival were very capable and friendly. The booking experience was not the best, the room rate the night before was $189.00 but the bed config did not look OK so I asked my wife to ring and check in the morning, she got the run around, while they procrastinated about what they could see in the inventory and did not ring back as promised, she booked the room online (price had gone up $209), they then had to honour and came up with the bed solution as described above. I should not of waited till morning as we ended up with same config for $20 extra, I suppose my own fault..mmmm, will ponder that one for while. The pool area was great for the kids and the aspect over the bushland was pleasent, we had been told we had no view but it was OK to me, western side could get a little too hot in the summer even with aircon, balcony was added bonus. Had to ask for extra towels and cups, come on guys, we could not check in till 12 ish so you can get rooms ready, you know 4 people are coming, so 4 cups and towels are not a hard calculation to get right. The main question I ask myself is would I stay there again, it would have to depend on room rate compared to competition on the day, overall even considering the glitches it was OK. I just expect more for $200 + per night. Downtown Newcastle hotels vs drive to hotel, something to consider, especially when you have choice of wide choice of feeding stations in the city vs minimal selection in Charlestown, we did find a good malaysian to fill the gap, the beef strganoff specail at the hotel di not ring my family's bells..sorry.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Following your recent stay at Quality Hotel Apollo International, we thank you for providing such comprehensive feedback, much of which is very complimentary.
You may be aware that the hotel has recently undergone a significant redevelopment program which has cemented our reputation as a leading provider of quality 4 star accommodation and facilities in Newcastle. The addition of 44 rooms and refurbishment of the original hotel ensures that we are able to meet most guests’ accommodation needs and our quiet bush setting and plentiful parking ensures also, that the sounds and congestion of the city are “out of sight, out of mind”, even though just a short drive away.

It is unfortunate that on this very busy Newcastle weekend, we were unable to provide you with a more suitable bedding configuration at short notice, however it is extremely pleasing to read that you view your family visit as “pretty good value for money” as this is something that we constantly strive to achieve.

I note and acknowledge your disappointment at the lack of in-room WiFi during your stay, a short-lived teething problem of the recent development; I trust that duty staff were suitably apologetic in this regard.

You raise the question as to whether you would visit again….having rated this visit as “pretty good value”, we sincerely hope that you do !!!
With best regards - General Manager
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

Stayed in the new wing with my family. Rooms are still new and spacious so I am generally happy with that. Free parking as well.
There is only one major issue. Taking a shower in the winter can be a daunting task. The bathtub is open without any curtains so it's rather drafty while you shower. The worst part is when you are done there isn't any heating/warming device when you step out of the bathtub. I was practically shivering, even with the door closed.
I hope the management can consider installing that device which I don't think costs much.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManagerApollo, General Manager at Best Western Plus Apollo International, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
Thank you for providing a review of your recent stay at the hotel, we are very pleased that you found our recently redeveloped facilities to your satisfaction.

We acknowledge your observations regarding bathroom heating in your accommodation style and advise that we are currently in the process of reviewing all aspects of the recent extensions and upgrade. As part of this review, bathroom heating is under consideration.
With regards - General Manager
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

I accompanied my husband on a business trip for 4 days and while he was at work during the day, I spent plenty of time at the hotel. I'll start by saying it's an impressive looking hotel and sits up high overlooking the highway at the front, but a beautiful bushland setting at the side and rear. Our room was in the older but refurbished wing and it had the bushland view. It was a very spacious room with king bed, lounge chairs and table, desk and chair and the usual minibar etc and that lovely, private balcony. The room was tastefully decorated and very quiet. WiFi, Foxtel and parking are free. The bed was so comfortable, it was heavenly. Every morning we were pleasantly woken by the native birds, in particular a lovely whip-bird. A gentle breeze blows up from the valley below and cools the room down nicely via the open balcony door (with flyscreen) or windows, however there is an air-conditioner for those who choose it. (The door chock that was supposed to hold open the balcony door, didn't! So we had to drag one of the large chairs to prop it open as it didn't stay open by itself.) The bathroom was lovely and unlike other hotels, there was somewhere to spread out your toiletries. However we did have a few issues. As a previous reviewer has commented, the door is terribly squeaky, loudly so and definitely could use adjustment. After the first shower (which is over the bath), we realised you have to watch your step when getting back out. There's quite a drop and I don't think disabled or the elderly would cope very well. The toilet roll holder is in a ridiculous spot! You have to be a contortionist or reach behind you and risk it falling off it's rather loose holder and onto the floor .. which happened quite a few times. The major concern I had though, was with hairs, lots of long, dark hairs in the shower/bath when we first arrived. It was rather off-putting to see a couple, but when you're taking a shower and you notice many more it wasn't very nice (no, they weren't ours for we're both blonde). I have marked down the cleanliness rating for this reason, but the rest of housekeeping was fine. Everything was replenished, restocked and cleaned as you would expect. The breakfast we took in our room rather than in the breakfast room and there was plenty on offer and plenty of it .. so much so, that we only ordered one breakfast and shared! We didn't eat at the restaurant, rather ventured the 15 minutes back into the harbour foreshore to eat and stroll around afterwards. The location of the hotel isn't bad .. it was very convenient for my husband's work and if you like shopping, then Charlestown Square is a short walk away and it has some great shops (designer ones too) and cinemas. And like I said, it's only 15 minutes drive back into Newcastle CBD.

Would we stay here again and recommend it? Yes

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony overlooking the bushland.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent visit to our property -
your very positive comments regarding location and quality of facilities is appreciated. The operational matters that you raise are understandably of great importance to us and it is this aspect of your feedback, in particular, that we need opportunity to address. As we have a number of room styles and bathroom configurations, it is impossible in this instance, to easily determine the room allocated, in order to quickly address specifics of your feedback and
I encourage you to contact the hotel to assist in this regard. Best wishes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlestown
Mercure Charlestown
Junction Hotel
Junction Hotel
#1 of 22 in Newcastle
Quality Hotel Noah's On the Beach

Been to Best Western Plus Apollo International? Share your experiences!