“Nice Room - Food??” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Charlestown
Sydney
“Nice Room - Food??”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

I stayed here for business and was recommended to me by a work colleague. This hotel is set on the hill top of Charlestown approx. 15 mins from Newcastle NSW. It looks like your typical conference, function style hotel, aesthetically pleasing, ample parking and just a pretty spot. On arrival after a stressful day working and then having to drive around bushfire closed highway thankfully check-in was relatively pain free.

I stayed in a nice air conditioned quiet room with a comfortable bed and well-appointed bathroom facilities. I also had a nice little balcony with a view into the bush surrounds with the sounds of nature tweeting in the background. TV was nice sized modern model and reception was good.

As I was very tired and starving I thought that I would go to the motel restaurant for dinner. I looked at the menu and the crumbed cutlets took my fancy. I tried ringing down but got no answer so I made my way to the restaurant and even though the restaurant had 5 people in it and it was a Thursday night I was told that the restaurant was full? OK so room service or local takeaway?? Being absolutely shattered I chose room service,

My food order was promptly delivered with a smile and I was ready to tuck into some yummy crumbed cutlets, and at $28 I was expecting quality. Oh Well!!! at $28 + room service delivery fee (I think $4) I got 2 cutlets bit of mash and beans. OK must be good then, Nooooo, they had to be some of the worst cutlets I have had since I gave up interstate truck driving. The cutlets tasted like they were frozen past their use by date 12 months ago and what about the mash – sorry but cannot bring myself to write about that??? Simply this was a $12 truck stop meal not a $28 + room service fee restaurant quality meal = not even close. The only thing missing was the smell of diesel. If I was not so tired I would have gone down the road for - anything, and gladly paid for it out of my own budget!

Breakfast on the other hand? The sun filters through the windows of the restaurant with a backdrop to the bush, blissful but after the dinner episode I was not expecting much. There were the usual continental choices of fresh fruits and cereals, breads, rolls etc as well as a good selection of cooked breakfast. With much trepidation I chose eggs benedict. While waiting a friendly Kookaburra came and sat under my window so that relaxed me for what I feared was coming.

Breakfast was excellent , chalk and cheese to dinner. The eggs benedict, the hollandaise was fresh and the eggs were perfect, the Croissants were so good that I had two with jam. They say you should have a good breakfast and this made me feel ready to attack a new day

All in all the staff are friendly and helpful. The lady behind the counter though needs to learn to relax. She was trying to be efficient and professional but she seemed to be a little stressed all the time.

The mark of a hotel with its faults is “Would I stay there again” – Yes I would. The hotel is convenient for what I need and is comfortable but unfortunately I would definitely not risk eating dinner there. It was just too expensive for roadhouse food and Charlestown has many fine takeaways and restaurants nearby to choose from anyway.

Room Tip: Eat out - At the prices the restaurant charges it is not worth the hit and miss experience unless so...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManagerApollo, General Manager at Best Western Plus Apollo International, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give a most constructive review our property. After recently refurbishing and extending the Best Western PLUS Apollo International it is pleasing to hear that you thought highly of your room and facilities of the hotel.

It is however very dis-heartening to hear that you felt this way about the food received from the Babbingtons restaurant. Babbingtons has recently gone through a refurbishment, menu change and complete chef overhaul. Our head chef has also worked with some of Europe's best chefs and both of us will personally look into the seriousness of the situation. The Crumbed cutlets are undoubtably the most popular dish on the menu and usually get the best feedback.

Thank you for the positive feedback in regards to the breakfast, it's always great to hear that they are doing a superb job in the breakfast room.

I truly hope you consider giving us another opportunity in the future to prove that we truly are the best hotel with the best staff in our great city of Newcastle!

Richard Christie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

Check-in was a bit lengthy, discussing all the noise options (Highway, Kids, etc.) but that was my fault. We ended up with the room where, on the floor above, a hyperactive girl was jumping around. At ten pm all was quiet until 7 am sharp when she woke up. The rooms were okay, but nothing special. Location is way out of town along a very busy road. We didn't check out the Restaurants.

Room Tip: Go for a room in the back unless you love motorway noise
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManagerApollo, General Manager at Best Western Plus Apollo International, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Dear valued guest

I am disappointed that we did not meet your expectations and that your stay was affected by others in the hotel. Your impressions of our hotel are vital in helping us provide the highest level of service to which we are committed to.

Having newly extended and refurbished the hotel, we pride ourselves on offering impeccable service and a superior product at a most competitive price. I thus find it very disappointing to hear about your poor impressions of our sparkling new property.

We appreciate your observations and have taken your comments on board as we are continually working on ways to improve our guest experience.

We hope that this has not marred future stays and would like the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Taree, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

This hotel really is international class, with luxuriously comfortable beds, soft yet supportive and the most comfortable pillows I have slept on outside of Switzerland. The rooms are lovely and clean, light with a lovely outlook as well as spacious. The breakfast is the best I have had outside of Europe. Lovely fresh fruits and muesli as well as an array of breads, rolls and interesting cakes. There is also a cooked breakfost for those that would prefer. The staff are wonderful and helpful. I left my laptop on leaving and they kindly kept it safe till I could collect it.

Dear valued Guest

Thank you for the positive feedback that you gave us on your recent stay. We at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Apollo International Hotel recently went through an extention and full refurbishment, so it is great to hear such a glowing review.

We welcome you back on your next stay in our wonderful city of Newcastle.

Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

My husband and I often stay at the "Amazing Apollo" and it is just a wonderful experience each and every time. Our special times are made even better by staying there. It is very obvious that the staff are continually striving to exceed guest expectations and it's all the little touches that make every stay an experience to remember. The restaurant has a menu that would rival any other and the food is divine and served by excellent wait staff. To stay in this hotel is a MUST....

Dear valued Guest

It was lovely to hear all the kind words on your recent stay at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Apollo International Hotel. We are grateful for your loyalty over the years and appreciate your recommendation.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next vistit to Newcastle.

Best regards

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

Have travelled to Newcastle for 16 years on business and did not discover the Apollo until about 2 years ago. Thank goodness I did as this is not only great value but the service and restaurant are 5 star. My greatest compliment must go to reception where the staff really make you feel at home.
A lot of hotels could learn a lesson from the way the Apollo run their hotel/ a simple formula of really pleasant reception, spotless rooms and quality food are for me a winning formula.
Well done and wish there were more like you around rural NSW.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
GeneralManagerApollo, General Manager at Best Western Plus Apollo International, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Dear Valued Guest

It is great to here that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay once again at the Apollo International. We pride ourselves of delivering personal service at a price that is hard to beat. Thank you for the great feedback, I will ensure that all staff involved are commended for their hardwork.

I look forward to to catching up with you on your next visit to our great city of Newcastle.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 1 night for work. I can say I'm not impressed. The shower room wasn't draining fast enough, it caused a small swimming pool in the bathroom, they only provided one piece of soap as well! In fact I was the lucky one, my colleague in the room next door didn't even have soap to shower with! Room was partially renovated, still had an antique aircon. Not the best air quality. It was mostly clean, although I found a hair in supposedly clean towels! My company paid for everything, but upon checking out, the front counter staff said I had to pay for the bottle of water I took from the mini bar in cash, despite me insisting the cost to be added to the room!! Not impressed!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Raph S
GeneralManagerApollo, General Manager at Best Western Plus Apollo International, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear Raphael

Thank you for your constructive feedback and may I sincerely apologise for the issues that you experienced during your recent stay.

We take feedback very seriously and use it as a tool to ensure optimal future guest satisfaction. Rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problems experienced and to prevent any future occurrences. Please note that the older style air conditioner in your room is scheduled for replacement.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to prove that the disappointments that you have described were out of the ordinary, and will certainly not reoccur should you stay with us on your next visit to the Newcastle area.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

The Apollo at Charleston was in a great location. The king spa suite was extremely comfortable. The restaurant food was 5 star and the service was excellent. All at an amazing reasonable price. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear recent guest

Thank you for the excellent feedback on your recent stay, its great to be recognised for the hardwork that all the staff have put in recently. I will be sure to mention to all the staff that they are doing an exceptional job.

I look forward to meeting up with yourself on your next visit to our beautiful city of Newcastle.

Kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlestown
Mercure Charlestown
Junction Hotel
Junction Hotel
#1 of 22 in Newcastle
Quality Hotel Noah's On the Beach

Been to Best Western Plus Apollo International? Share your experiences!