“Happy Customer”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Charlestown
Port Macquarie, Australia
“Happy Customer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Very pleased with the accomodation, very modern, spacious and clean. Required an overnight stay to visit John Hunter Childrens hospital and was happy with close proximity/location and short drive to the hospital. I would definitely stay again and have no hesitation recommending the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

2 Thank Michelle G
GeneralManagerApollo, General Manager at Best Western Plus Apollo International, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your lovely feedback regarding your most recent stay. My team and I are delighted to hear you enjoyed yourself here at the newly extended and refurbished BEST WESTERN PLUS Apollo International Hotel.

As noted our hotel is very central and as a result most of our patrons enjoy easy and quick access to Newcastle's landmark sites, shopping centres and local hospitals.

Thank you once again for taking the time to give us such wonderful feedback and any future recommendation of our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Apollo International and our wonderful city of Newcastle in the not so distant future.

Kind regards

Richard Christie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Bonnells Bay, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

The rooms were clean, well presented.
Our room had a balcony and a screen door, which is hardly found in hotel rooms.
Reception was open late at night for check-in.
Very comfortable bed, but best of all the room rates were reasonable, which makes it more affordable to stay.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank GraceLoBasso
Dear Valued Guest

Having newly extended and refurbished the entire hotel, we pride ourselves on offering impeccable service and a superior product at a most competitive price. It was great to hear that it has not gone un-noticed and that guests appreciate quality and service when they receive it, I will happily express your feelings and comments to the entire team.

We welcome you back home on your next stay in our wonderful city of Newcastle, and if I can be of any assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 02 4943 6733.

Sincerely.

Maclean, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

The hotel accommodated our 50 delegates in spacious rooms, mostly facing away from the highway and dealt with changes in bookings during the conference with a flexible and professional attitude. The quality of the food was excellent and surpassed most people's expectations, although I'd agree with another reviewer that the addition of a piece of green veg wouldn't go amiss. The staff were friendly and helpful. The conference facilities were well suited to our needs and the free wi-fi was much appreciated.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Phil N
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for completing this survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

I have spoken to the chefs in regards to the additional vegetables and will re-look at every dish on the conference menus, ensuring a well balanced meal.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

I booked a romantic weekend away a few months ago and paid for the most expensive room they had :-/
The aircon didn't work so you had to have the front door open to get some air, you couldn't watch the tv because the reception was poor.
The manager was kind enough to give us a voucher so we could return another time!
Well we are here, in the same room and we've not had a wink of sleep because the room next door had a domestic,which ended up outside our room in the evening and it carried on through the night, then screaming children and a erratic mother shouting from 5 this morning.
We don't think will be returning in the future, the rooms should have some sort of sound proofing, expecially when you can hear word for word.

• Stayed April 2014
GeneralManagerApollo, General Manager at Best Western Plus Apollo International, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

On your first stay as stated in your review your air-conditioner and TV didn’t work, both of which have been replaced and fixed as you would have noticed. Due to this experience I offered compensation in the way of a night’s accommodation when you were next in town.

On this occasion unfortunately you were checked in next door to a family that as stated by yourself had a domestic, had you mentioned anything to our 24 hour reception we would have stopped the noise immediately. We do not tolerate noise within the hotel and would have had them removed.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience. If I can provide any assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 02 4943 6733.

South West Rocks, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

Try to get a room at the back not facing the hiway.
I had a room at the back that opened onto the gardens. Beautiful. Peaceful night sleep, others at the conference were kept awake by the highway noise at the front. The room was of a good size and the bathroom was very clean. It comes with a stocked mini bar. The meals in the restaurant were small (they have been watching my kitchen rules,) With a piece of protien and yummy sauce but with little to no veggies which left many feeling hungry. The staff are happy and very capable and willing to help no matter how small the problem, pat them all on the back. The compedium told me there was a gym but dosnt tell you where to find it and I didnt ask so I didnt go.

Room Tip: High roors at the front capture the highway noise.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for completing the survey and sharing with all your recent stay at our property.

In regards to your views of the noise from the highway - I must note that I find this statement most confusing as the majority of our guests that stay here, either verbally or on Tripadvisor, comment how surprised they are on how quite all seems when in their room.

I must also note that the meals arranged for the conference delegates are decided in advance with the organiser designated by the company. These meals are based on budgets set by the company and are generally of the idea that there are 3 course meals. The other factor that must be considered is when conferencing there are generally up to 5 meal breaks a day.

I will express to all the staff members concerned your appreciation to the service received, it is always very encouraging to hear positive and constructive feedback like this. If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 02 4943 6733.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

I stayed in queen room for two nights for business in Charlestown. Overall the stay was very comfortable and I would definitely stay there again. It appeared to have been recently renovated and was overall in very good shape.

Pluses : large spacious room with lounge area and iPod/iPhone (4s) dock. Room was of good quality with modern feature wall. Room included a balcony with outdoor table and chairs with direct view of bushland, which was really nice. The Mor bath products (Snow Gardenia) were also particularly nice touch of luxury and it is one of the first times I’ve used hotel products in a long time.

Staff were helpful and reliable with wake up calls and cars occurring as scheduled etc. There is a nice pool and small gym. Free wifi (up to 3 gb ). Plenty of parking for people driving and the rooms would easily fit two children as well as adults so suitable for families in transit. Mini bar etc. Very economical for a large room especially considering balcony.

Minuses- No bath! Location is not really near much entertaining (eg water) so you need a car or taxi to get around. Although generally clean and modern feeling there was a stain on my bedspread (hidden under the bedspread at the end) and the flyscreen on my balcony door was broken.

Verdict: Comfortable reliable economic hotel with some nice touches. Suitable for business visitors, people in transit or families (contingent on location).

Room Tip: Request a room with balcony overlooking the bush.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TravellingAussieD
GeneralManagerApollo, General Manager at Best Western Plus Apollo International, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for choosing the BEST WESETERN PLUS Apollo International, we truly appreciate you sharing about your experience at our hotel on Trip Advisor. It’s great to hear that our friendly Team Members were able to enhance your stay with the superior level of service we strive to provide all of our guests!

Having newly extended and refurbished the entire hotel, we pride ourselves on offering impeccable service and a superior product at a most competitive price. Whilst extending we opted to make most of the accommodation rooms with walk in shower access as a large portion of our clients are corporate guests that prefer this. However we do have baths available on request as we understand that there always will be a need for them, these are usually given to guests on request.

I have spoken to both the Housekeeping and Maintenance team in respect to the stain and flyscreen and have had these rectified. I apologise that these were not seen to prior to your arrival and will endeavour to ensure that this does not re-occur.

Sincerely.

sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

The first impression when walking in wasn't very good. There was a odour of disinfectant...we were wondering what happened there...The desk staff however we're very efficient and friendly and attended to check in swiftly. Walking to our superior room down the corridors, I didn't have huge expectations. I could tell the place had a renovation but when I opened the door...wow! The rooms are great. The beds were very comfortable, everything was spotless and the bathrooms were very well appointed. We opted for the breakfast package and were there very early in the sitting. The staff again were very nice but the food was ordinary. Eggs were way over cooked, the bacon was soggy, it just wasn't happening for them on this day. We left most of it and got something in transit.
Overall, great staff and rooms, give breakfast a miss.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
GeneralManagerApollo, General Manager at Best Western Plus Apollo International, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologise for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

I have spoken to the chef's in regards to the breakfast but without knowing the exact date, it is extremely difficult to pin point out exactly what went wrong on the day. As we usually get positive feedback in respect to the breakfast it is most disappointing to hear this feedback. If at all possible I would love to be able to resolve this and would appreciate if you could contact me directly on 02 4943 6733 to discuss.

BEST WESTERN PLUS Apollo International Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlestown
Mercure Charlestown
Junction Hotel
Junction Hotel
#1 of 22 in Newcastle
Quality Hotel Noah's On the Beach

Been to Best Western Plus Apollo International? Share your experiences!