“Fantastic!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Charlestown
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

I drove from Sydney to Charleston. It took me 2hrs and a few minutes. Great road. The hotel is quite big and easy to park, as I found a spot close to reception. They had all my details at check in and it took me a few minutes till I was inside my room. The room was brand new and very spacious, as was the bathroom. A lot of daylight and a balcony facing a green reserve that makes you feel like you are in a National Park. The food at the restaurant was excellent and quite sophisticated. I had the lamb for dinner and it was impecable. Great stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManagerApollo, General Manager at Best Western Plus Apollo International, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Apollo International Hotel. We truly appreciate you sharing with others, on Trip advisor, your wonderful feedback.

Our hotel’s young and dynamic team takes great pride in guest satisfaction and we care about each and every guest. The team was delighted to hear that our well-appointed and refurbished guest rooms, along with the efforts of our excellent front desk and award winning restaurant staff provided you with service that you can come to expect and deserve from a BEST WESTERN PLUS hotel.

We look forward on your return back to our our wonderful city of Newcastle, and look forward to providing you with another exceptional experience.

Richard Christie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

I stayed at the Apollo International in Newcastle with Mum and Dad in February of this year.

We were given a good-sized, freshly-refurbished room on the top floor at the end of a long corridor, with brand-new EVERYTHING in the room which made us so happy!

The quiet room with balcony was fresh and clean, and the linen crisp.

The balcony offers a breathtaking view of the lush valley which is abundantly covered in native trees, and which - we were reliably told - was home to a couple of resident kookaburras!

However, what REALLY impressed us most was the staff - the wonderful people running the hotel!

They were genuinely friendly, warm and happy that we were there.

And the one who stood out was Danny the Night Manager at the front desk who helped us with everything from finding a nice cruise at Port Stephens to exploring the macadamia farm in Medowie which I had no knowledge about.

Danny completely went out of his way to make us feel comfortable, and very welcome; and for that, we could NOT thank him enough!

Needless to say, we look forward to our next stay in the very near future!

Benjamin Lai

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManagerApollo, General Manager at Best Western Plus Apollo International, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Our hotel’s young and dynamic team takes great pride and passion in their work and are constantly on the quest for complete guest satisfaction. As you have clearly pointed out Danny is one of those stand out team members that glows enthusiasm and it will bring me immense joy and satisfaction in mentioning to her that it has not gone un-noticed.

The team was delighted to hear that our well-appointed and refurbished guest rooms, along with the efforts of our excellent front desk staff provided you with service that you can come to expect and deserve from a BEST WESTERN PLUS hotel.

We look forward to you returning to our wonderful city of Newcastle and providing you with another exceptional experience.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Needed a spot to stay overnight outside the city centre and at the last minute and had two choices, Mercure looked better online but they didn't answer their phone! Slightly apprehensive having not stayed in any Best Western for fifteen years after a poor experience. However my needs were pretty simple - a bed and a shower so I was willing to give it a try and came away pretty impressed.

First surprise was service - extremely efficient professional and friendly on the phone and in person on arrival. I arrived around 11pm, parked easily close to the door despite a full car park and all the paperwork was ready to sign as I walked in ten minutes after my call so I was in the room within 2 minutes - exactly what was needed.

Room was simple, clean and neat - exactly what I needed and for a couple of days on business it would be quite acceptable although desk was a bit small. Looked like it had been renovated recently, bed and pillows firm, one comfy chair and nice pics on wall. I was worried about traffic noise  but room faced away from highway so I didn't hear a thing

Bathroom very small but clean, shower good, had every toiletry I required and of a very nice quality too which was a very nice surprise. Storage space in wardrobe excellent and good hangers for a suit.

Room had a small balcony overlooking a garden - didn't venture outside as it was cold, didn't use wi-if which was avaiable and did'nt stay for breakfast.

I'd happily stay again for a short business or overnight stint.

Room Tip: View over garden and away from road ideal
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank chris f
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for choosing the BEST WESETERN PLUS Apollo International, we truly appreciate you sharing about your experience at our hotel on Trip Advisor. It’s great to hear that our friendly Team Members were able to enhance your stay with the superior level of service we strive to provide all of our guests!

Having newly extended and refurbished the entire hotel, we pride ourselves on offering impeccable service and a superior product at a most competitive price.

Thank you once again for taking the time to give us such wonderful feedback and any future recommendation of our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Apollo International and our wonderful city of Newcastle in the not so distant future.

If I can be of any assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 02 4943 6733.

Sincerely.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Stay for 2 nights while visiting friends in Newcastle. Staff friendly, room clean and comfortable overlooking bushland and the city. Close to Charlestown square. short drive to beaches and downtown Newcastle.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Kylie P

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope to see you return in the not so distant future.

I will be sure to pass on the wonderful comments in regards to the friendly staff and well appointed rooms to the front desk team and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the spectacular view that we have to offer.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 02 4943 6733.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

The room I had 222 has a balcony overlooking the rear garden and bushlands, view was great. Room was big, clean and comfy. Didn't try the restaurant, bar or pool but all looked tempting.
Staff were very good. No negatives, will stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

BEST WESTERN PLUS Apollo International Hotel
Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

We needed a night away but close to home, so we thought why not? We were worried it was too close to home but it felt like we were on holiday. Very little traffic noise, and outlook onto bushland and then hills beyond, that was a pleasant surprise. Had to give 3 stars on cleanliness as the outdoor pool was terrible...couldn't see through water, was cloudy and although I got in I very soon was out again and disappointed in the short swim. Lady at front desk curt. Not rude but just not welcoming. I do feel it adds something when people smile and are happy to have a brief chat when you check in.

Room Tip: As far away from edges as possible (to avoid traffic noise even though it is minimal).
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Beliamax
GeneralManagerApollo, General Manager at Best Western Plus Apollo International, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time in completing this survey on sharing with all your recent stay at our property. Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback.

I note that your stay with us was back in January and at this stage we were having trouble with our pool salt chlorinator, whilst it was perfectly safe to swim in - it certainly did not look at all appealing and for this must sincerely apologise. This has been replaced and the pool now looks sparkling clean and most inviting.

In respect to the staff member that was unfriendly it is extremely difficult to work out who this individual was and therefore will continue to monitor each and every individual that works in the hotel - ensuring that we can deliver a superior and memorable experience for you and other guests in the future.

I trust that this will not deter you from returning and thus having the opportunity in warmly welcoming you back to our wonderful city of Newcastle.

Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Had stayed here once before and found to good. So having to overnight in Newcastle chose it again. I however made the error of booking direct by telephone the night before I was to arrive. Upon arrival I was told that I was booked in for the previous evening. I disputed this to no avail and was further told that the were fully booked for the evening so would have to stay elsewhere. Having just driven from Brisbane I was less than amused.....

The error was 100% the hotel's as the girl who took the booking went to the trouble of telling me that checkin was after 2:00pm. As it was 4:00pm when I made the booking she clearly understood that I was not arriving on the evening I'd made the booking.

So 0% Apollo, am not likely to risk it again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Murray A
GeneralManagerApollo, General Manager at Best Western Plus Apollo International, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

Whilst I understand your frustration in respect to your reservation, when taking your reservation over the phone my receptionist confirms that she repeated the dates back to yourself. This is standard procedure in our hotels when taking reservations – one that all hotels do practice.

Your booking was taken at 4pm as mentioned and as you did ask what time check-in was - we told you it was from 2pm as we tell all guests that check-in is from 2pm - indicating that you are able to check-in at any time after 2pm.

When you did not show on the Friday and as you confirmed your reservation via your credit card, we tried to process the credit card you provided and on doing so we discovered that the card declined as the number was incorrect. It should have been at this stage that we called you to confirm your correct credit card numbers and other booking details.

On discovering that your reservation was made on the wrong day we did profusely apologise for any misunderstanding and inconvenience caused, offered to find an alternative accommodation and make a reservation for you in Newcastle - to which you disgruntledly declined. We appreciate that this was most annoying but the language used to my young female receptionist which was witnessed by myself was most improper and unethical.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologise for not ensuring your reservation was taken as intended and that you had to find alternative accommodation. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure that a repeat of such an incident does not occur.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have a chance to provide you with a better experience.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 02 4943 6733.

BEST WESTERN PLUS Apollo International Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlestown
Mercure Charlestown
Junction Hotel
Junction Hotel
#1 of 22 in Newcastle
Quality Hotel Noah's On the Beach

Been to Best Western Plus Apollo International? Share your experiences!