“Comfy Stay.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Charlestown
Port Stephens, Australia
“Comfy Stay.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Lovely two night stay , large & welcoming room with bushland views & abundant bird life.
Bed & shower A1 - generous free WiFi a big bonus.
The gym is clean & very adequate .... great to have it onsite.
Robyn on front desk was very helpful & Babbington's breakfast was delicious.
Next Newcastle visit shall see us return , thank you Apollo.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Rooms well appointed. Stayed last year and we're very impressed, very quite, modern room. Restaurant very nice also. Staff very helpful. This year we had noisy neighbour's but no fault of hotel. Maybe suggest room on right side of reception

Room Tip: Away from reception on right hand side
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

My experience as a housekeeping manager makes me look at things differently. I was impressed by the size of the room and the facilities but the cleanliness of the room left a lot to be desired. I'm not fussy by any means but clearly know what a clean room is. ( hair on the toilet paper, wine glasses as if they were just put back after using, spills and food bits left all over the bench) the only thing I requested was clean wine glasses. These things should be checked after each and every guest and all surfaces should be cleaned for dust and grime after each guest. As I have inspected many a room in my career, this room would not have been allowed to be sold as is.

• Stayed August 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Deadrocks
GeneralManagerApollo, General Manager at Best Western Plus Apollo International, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologise for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

We are at present training up new housekeepers and believe that your room may as a result of the new team members been affected. This clearly is in no way an excuse for the poor standard of your room cleanliness and as a result have had a meeting with all my housekeepers and have stressed the importance of a clean room.

If you could provide me with a room number or your surname this would be greatly appreciated, this way I could identify the individual that may require further training. My email address is gm@apollointernational.com.au

If I can provide any future assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 02 4943 6733.

Richard Christie
BEST WESTERN PLUS Apollo International Hotel
Wollongong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

We have stayed here a few times before, we have always been happy there. It is in a good location, and the rooms are comfortable and the Breakfast is good.I do hate showers over baths though, so next time will enquire if they have rooms without baths. A container for used tea bags would be a good idea too, better than dripping them over the floor to the rubbish bin!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have stayed in other good hotels in Newcastle but this beats them all on comfort and value. The renovated hotel offers spacious rooms, comfortable beds,quiet location overlooking a woodland view, good parking and unbelievable breakfast and it's great value. No fancy trimmings but a high standard of comfort which is what we want on a business trip.

Room Tip: This is a long building so I think that all the rooms are at the back away from the road and overloo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Forestville, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed 2 nights on a business trip, very nice hotel, comfy bed and good breakfast. Always find it hard to review places I stayed at on business as its hard to say if its value for money! But this was clean, modern, the staff were helpful. A 5 minute car ride from Charlestown Square, but nice food in the restaurant on site. Definitely a good place to stay in Newcastle

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank AustraliaUnitedfan
Wollongong, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Well appointed business hotel with great features let down but the front desk staff who while unfailing polite where completely inefficient and incapable of providing professional service.

The room was booked and paid for on a company card - upon arrival they had lost the payment details and required me to provide a card for the charge - despite the fact I had a printed receipt for the booking which clearly included the details of the payment(complete with reference details)

They also debited the card an additional $100 'security deposit' should I choose to raid the mini bar - while I get that... its over a week later and despite requests when I left and a follow up telephone call , where they promised to redeem it immediately, I'm still showing a $100 owing on my card.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Bradley R
GeneralManagerApollo, General Manager at Best Western Plus Apollo International, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Bradley

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to profusely apologise for not exceeding your expectations. As mentioned your details provided prior to arrival had not fully been updated to your reservation and for this can only sincerely apologise, this in turn caused confusion and delayed the check-in process.

As for the authorisation taken on your reservation, just like most hotels, our procedure is that we take an authorisation on all guests’ credit cards on check-in to cover any extras that may be used during the stay. As we do not know all our guests by first name this safe guards the hotel against any fraudulent activity.

This process allows the hotel access to the $100 hold on the card as a deposit, it is not removed from the card and should it not be needed will automatically be released by the bank. This whole process unfortunately depending on the bank can take up to 10 working days.

Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements and revaluate our procedures to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 02 4943 6733.

Richard Christie
BEST WESTERN PLUS Apollo International Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlestown
Mercure Charlestown
Junction Hotel
Junction Hotel
#1 of 22 in Newcastle
Quality Hotel Noah's On the Beach

Been to Best Western Plus Apollo International? Share your experiences!