“A nice, quaint, gem of a restaurant, hidden away in Charlestown” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Landmark Brasserie - CLOSED

The Landmark Brasserie
Price range: US$8 - US$25
Cuisines: Australian, French, Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Modern Brasserie with Fresh Food made on premise. Restaurant quality at cafe prices. Charlestown Newest Restaurant
Newcastle, Australia
“A nice, quaint, gem of a restaurant, hidden away in Charlestown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

My girlfriend and I dined at TLB shortly after it opened and had an overall nice experience. Sometimes when we go out we order 3 entrées to share, instead of 2 mains, and that usually does the trick. We tried that at TLB... but the entrée portions were too small for the price we paid. The Pork Belly in particular was so small, it literally had 2 bites in it and was definitely not worth the price. However, portion-size aside, the food was AMAZING and the taste was definitely miles above anything else available in the Charlestown area. While the restaurant is presented nice enough, it does lack a bit of personality and buzz, i.e. it felt a bit cold. We still would highly recommend this place though as the food is very, very good. Worth checking out!

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

“Average at Best”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Dined here a few months ago, we were the only table in on a Thursday night.

Due to a lack of customers, the place had no atmosphere, and felt uncomfortable.

The service was slow, we ordered our entree's and they took almost 30 mins to arrive. I had a Caesar salad, which arrived in a tiny bowl with a huge rim, the salad was cut so finely it was soggy, and only about 3 fork fills of food, the poached quails egg was cold. The scallops one of my friends had were stone cold, and all of the plates had flowers on them, now I know this was a bit of a trend for chefs in good restaurants about 6 years ago, but good chefs pair the right flower to the food, not just put any flavour flower on all the dishes.

We them waited nearly 45 minutes for our main course, we did get given a bread roll in between, not sure if they forgot it at the start, or if they are trying to change the dining trend, regardless, it was homemade, hard as a rock, and heavy, I'm just glad I didn't drop it on my foot.

I had the barramundi for a main course, the crispy skin was not crispy, the baby vegetables were undercooked and cold, and was generally unpleasant. 2 of my friends had the lamb, both commented that it was cold, and undercooked, the fat was white and raw, not rendered down at all, and served with the same cold baby vegetables as my barramundi. All meals were served with an array of flowers on the plate.

2 of us had a caramel crime brûlée for dessert, looked great (apart from more flowers on the plate) but on cracking the caramel on top, I found the custard was not set like a creme brûlée should be, it was liquid, it was like baby food.

I the cook needs to learn to put flowers in a vase on the table, learn some basic techniques, forget about his ego, and serve some half decent food.

A 3 course meal took over 3 hours, yet were the only table in the restaurant.

It wasn't overly expensive, but portions were small, service was ok, but it should be with only 1 table in.

I wouldn't waste my money going there again, but not the worst meal I have eaten.

2 Thank Steven W
Newcastle, Australia
“Average meal for the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

We Dined at The Landmark Brasserie for a set menu function last night and found the food to be only average. I had the calamari for entree and it was overcooked and chewy. The sauce that was with it was very tasty but was let down by the calamari. I them had the steak as the main and it was also overcooked and hard to cut but I did find the the the presentation and other items with the meal to be fine. My wife had the chicken dish for which I sampled and it was an excellent tasting meal.
The staff were very professional and attentive and did a great job looking after us all.
I also found the road noise to be a a bit overbearing when you were trying have a conversation.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
LandmarkBrasserie13, Manager at The Landmark Brasserie, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Hi PeterS300

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on this evening. All feedback is taken with the utmost respect and confidence on behalf of the reviewer and we are disappointed that we didn't meet your expectations for your evening, as we have nothing but great support from the onset of the business opening, Unfortunately, we agree that the Squid dish was "tough" and are a little disappointed that you didn't let us know on the evening as we may have been able to address the issue. We have done some research on this an found that it is a supplier issue and not a kitchen one. We had received a different brand of squid to our usual product and agree that is not acceptable. In regards to your other comments its very difficult to control noise if its coming from outside the venue. In regards to your "over cooked steak" it is impossible to satisfy everyone in a group booking, when this is an alternate drop option Steak is a dish that many like different ways, unlike the Chicken dish that your wife had, which is either cooked or it isn't.

Thank You for your time to pen a review and give us the opportunity to fix a problem and respond on our behalf to your comments and hopefully offer you an explanation to said event. We hope to see you again in the near future
Newcastle, Australia
“A great place to eat in Charlestown!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

Enjoyed a wonderful 3 course meal at The Landmark Brasserie on Friday evening. Every course was a taste sensation and beautifully presented. Joel and Adam were very welcoming and attention to detail and service perfect. I highly recommend this quality establishment..

• Visited January 2014
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

We recently dined at The Landmark Brasserie & couldn't have asked for a better night out. The meals were absolutely delicious! Make sure you try the Bruschetta topped with a Hervey Bay King Prawn & leave room for dessert! The Lemon Curt Tart was delicious and so was the Vanilla Bean Cream Brûlée. Table service was great & I appreciated the linen tablecloths. These guys have done a great job opening a first class restaurant in Newcastle!

Visited January 2014