“3 star service and food”

Kata Beach Resort and Spa
Ranked #26 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Melbourne, Australia
“3 star service and food”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Who says that this hotel is awesome - have not stayed in 5 star hotels!
The only great point there is location. Otherwise...:
Kata beach resort is outdated, service is poor, untrained, staff at the reception desk does not speak english, (or pretend not to, especially when you are complaining about air conditioner not working, water in the shower changing temperature from cold to boiling every 10 seconds, pillows are hard as bricks, old pieces of soap never removed from the showers, bottles with body wash never refilled until you ask them to...etc...
And also please note that in this hotel superior room means the worst one!
They re-use the slippers in the rooms, (which i found out only when checking out), which is extremely un-hygienic, i personally hate wearing any shoes after someone else that i don't even know.
There are huge size cockroaches crawling on the ground floor - which is where the breakfast and dinner room is located, by the way.. We once saw a dead rat near there as well...
Food at breakfast is poor and does not change for as long as you stay there. Much praised seafood buffet dinner on wednesday nights was outrageous, barbecued crab and prawns were a mash, obviously frozen before, fish tasteless, just like everything else...they don't even know what cutlery to serve for seafood, so you have to crack crabs with your teeth...
One of the stuff told us that actually their budget was cut thats why they are cutting on everything they can also.
Overall rating should be 3 star. Overall experience - average. Would not stay there ever again and will not recommend it to anyone. And it is not cheap either! For these money you can find a much better hotel!

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay there at least get a deluxe room with view...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Elina Y
Andrew S, General Manager at Kata Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments and we are sorry to hear that you will not be returning to Kata Beach Resort and Spa for several reasons. However if there is an opportunity to welcome you back we will love to.

Andrew A. Swatdipakdi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Blacktown, Australia
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stayed three times at kata beach resort and spa, and i love it.
Rooms are beautiful, got a beachy, island type feel with thai style class. House keepers are A++++, could not fault them.
The view is abosolutly stunning, you will be hard pressed to find a more encapsulating view anywhere in the world than that of Kata beach.
Kata Beach itself, which is literally a 'stone throw away' from your room, is probably the most family friendly beach in phuket. The swell and currents are not to challaging so it is also appealing to those whom are not strong swimmers.
Just rebooked for this resort for next month and cannot wait to return!!!
Strongly Recommended.

Room Tip: Be aware that fireworks are occasionally let off on Kata Beach of a night time, and the beach is an...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kmf202
Andrew S, General Manager at Kata Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your kind words and we look forward to welcome you back to Kata Beach Resort next month.

Thimphu, Bhutan
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Was there with my husband...the place is centrally located and everything from 711 to shops are just around the corner.The Hotel has 2 pools and the beach is just few steps below the hotel and very convenient and they also have a massage place right in front of the beach in the hotel whereby you can enjoy the beautiful view as you get a wonderful massage :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TeamNorbuling
Andrew S, General Manager at Kata Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your kind words and we look forward to welcome you back to Kata Beach Resort & Spa in the near future.

Grafton, Australia
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Me and my husband stayed here for 10 nights. The view from our room was great and the hotel is located perfectly on Kata beach so no need to walk far, simply out of your room and straight onto the beach. The hotel staff were freindly throughout our stay and we enjoy many late afternoon cocktails at the bar watching the gorgeous sunsets. There are also many fantastic restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. My only complaint about this hotel(and perhaps it was just the time of year we were there) was that there were so many Russians staying at the hotel which was a bit disappointing as they were less than friendly towards us.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tilly_James
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your kind words and we are delight to know that you enjoy your stay with us and

Perth
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Hotel pool has a clear sign- no reserving of sunbeds- yet pool manager clearly stated to me the beds we wanted to sit on we're not free and were reserved!!! He was reserving 8 beds at the time. After pointing out to him and the hotel manager the sign- he then lied and informed her that he was not getting paid to reserve them and the general manager then advised me it was up to the disgression of people if they wanted to tip him for them??!!! Basically if you pay you get whatever you want!!! Even though the sign states after 60mins people's things would be removed; on the days we were there these beds were reserved for people which went into 2hrs and their things were not removed!!! Very disappointed as we frequent Thailand and we will not be coming back to this hotel!!!

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank Bugglelugs
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments and we are sorry to hear that you will not be returning to Kata Beach Resort and Spa for several reasons. However if there is an opportunity to welcome you back to we will love to.

Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

The position of this place is pretty much the best thing about it.
staff seemed put out, toilet was broken, ants in the kettle, I had paid for extra person and had to ask for the extra towels etc.......

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Lookingforthespot
Andrew S, General Manager at Kata Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your comments and suggestion, we will look into it immdiately and look forward to welcome you back to Kata Beach Resort & Spa in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 March 2014

During our stay at this resort I had a fall while on a day out I felt very ill and caught a cab back, on returning to the resort we enquired if there was a resort doctor they said yes on another floor, initially the nurse saw me, I told her I had trouble breathing and had pain in the side, she gave me "smelling salts" (do people still use these?),she said my lungs sounded find but she would call the doctor. He arrived and after examining told me, my lungs sounded fine, I had no broken bones, take some pain killers and he would be back at 1pm the next day and he would see me again. I went straight to my room and must say endured one of the most painful nights of my life, I could barely move but as the doctor told me I had no broken bones and I waited the night out as we were due to fly out that next evening at 6.30pm. We went straight to the doctor at 1pm by this stage I was breathless, again the doctor examined me, I expressed concern if I was well enough to fly later that day, he told me my lungs sounded fine, I had no broken bones and I was well enough to fly, even though "it will be an uncomfortable flight for you". I said to my husband I felt something was wrong and wanted to go to the hospital. The doctor became quite annoyed that I didn't feel confident about his prognosis but we went down to reception and asked for a taxi to take us to Phuket International Hospital. On arrival they attended to me almost straight away, doing xrays and examination. Within 15 minutes I had a team working on me I had a punctured lung and 2 broken ribs!!!!! And to top it off the hospital doctor took my husband aside telling him I was very ill and if I had flown that evening it would have killed me because of the air compression of the aircraft. I was in hospital for 7 days and was not allowed to fly back to Australia for 3 weeks. When my husband returned to Kata Beach explaining what had happened there was absolutely no word of apology, concern for my well being or anything. During my stay in hospital my husband checked us out of Kata Beach and found another smaller boutique resort (a pleasurable stay). When I returned to Australia I emailed the manager of kata Beach 3 times complaining of our treatment and the pathetic excuse for a doctor they had at the resort. Finally they responded saying "sorry to hear about your accident, I trust you are doing better"!!! The resort itself is very large, rooms smell damp and I would never recommend it to anyone and please if anyone reads this and still considers staying, if you have the misfortune of being unwell during your stay don't even consider seeing the resort doctor.

Room Tip: Top floor ocean view would be about the best to choose from
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Christina200
Andrew S, General Manager at Kata Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Guest,

We trust that you are fully recovered now. This incident have been brought up with the doctor concern when the initial contact was made. He has pass on his sincere regrets with many apologies.