“Average hotel, but great location!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kata Beach Resort and Spa

Kata Beach Resort and Spa
Ranked #25 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Kihei, Hawaii
“Average hotel, but great location!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

After reading other reviews I was kind of nervous about staying here. It is in a great location. Very close to great restaurants, massage, shops, etc. A plus for me was to be staying on the beach because so many other hotels located in this area are not right on the beach. The pool was very nice. The room not so great, we stayed in the deluxe seaview room. It was in need of renovations and whoever cleaned it left sand on the floor. I could feel it on my feet walking around the room immediately. When I booked, in our reservation it included a cold face towel at check in (never received) and a fruit basket. We never received the fruit basket so two days later, I asked at reception what happened. They couldn't understand what I was asking and it took another person and about 15 minutes later for them to figure out that we didn't receive a fruit basket. They did arrange to bring one to our room later. Free breakfast was included and it was always decent. Wifi - should be available in the rooms for free but is not unless you pay. Otherwise, you have to use in lobby and it only works at certain spots. Plus, that the lobby has tons of mosquitos and I was continuously bit up trying to use the wifi there. I am not sure that I would stay at this resort again. It was just OK.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank going2maui2006
Andrew S, General Manager at Kata Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for bringing up the problems you experience to our attention. We will look into it immediately and if there is an opportunity to welcome you back to Kata Beach Resort we would love to have you here again with us.

Andrew A. Swatdipakdi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 8 days over mid July. The weather was pretty good to us and whilst it was windy and rained a couple of times the bad weather didn't stay for long. The beach is good, pretty clean, and there's only a few beach merchants so you don't get annoyed. The resort looks out onto the beach and you can run down onto it then back to your sun bed quickly which is convenient. Bar prices are pretty good and the pool is huge.

Rooms are pretty well appointed and wifi access generally Pretty good in most spots. Brekky in the morning is worth going to. They put on a good spread and it's varied.

Taxis waiting at the reception are over prices IMO. Better to walk out the front to the taxi rank and barter the rate. There's a bucket load of massage places and restaurant close by as well as a wave machine beach side.

Worth staying at if you want to avoid the busy patong but stay close enough to patong to get to most places quickly and cheaply.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank KiwisCG
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words and we look forward to welcome you back again in the near future.

Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed here last year for 18 nights in June, 2 weeks before Australian school holidays the rest during. Resort is a must out of school holidays maybe not for everyone during them, unless you have kids. Loved the location for views,only beach front location, delux seaview rooms,good size balcony, window seat,sunsets,room size and proximity to 7/11,laundry,restaurants,bars,massage,money exchanges,local bus stop and it's not too expensive to travel elsewhere on the island.
Having said that we felt the room needed a little updating eg painting,cleaning fabrics. Staff didn't appear that interested except for security guard who'd salute each time we walked by and older man at egg station who made my omlettes daily. In saying this for the Negative Nellies and people who whinge/whine we overlooked all this, enjoying our time so much we came back for 2 weeks this year with friends.
So glad we did, location hasn't changed but alot of things people whinged about had been rectified.Check-in, happy reception staff,rooms ready early and able to check straight in,rooms updated painted/new window furnishings etc.New pool chairs lighter weight ones in place of older heavier wooden ones, pool towels in rooms and your responsibility to take care of and change as needed by pool,breakfast better run, replentished more often and my omlette man still there.Housekeeping was always good, the girl doing our room daily was always friendly and more than happy to help us changing our pillows for ones more suited to us (softer and not so large)even changed our pool towels early one morning.
Staff in general appeared happier,more attentive,more than happy to help with issues minor/major.Trainees on front desk keep up the good work, keep smiling through the rude people you encounter,obviously they can't read or have no idea what it's like to learn a new job dealing with people like themselves and in a multitude of different languages.
Our friends loved the place as we had down played it due to negative reviews.To all the Negative Nellies don't come back...
As much as l would like to have this place to myself it should be shared (just not by kids LOL)
To all the Staff and Management thank you for a wonderful stay at Kata Beach Resort.
Well Done and See You Same Time Next Year.

Room Tip: If you like views floors 3 and 4 centre deluxe seaview.If you like pool access ask for closest to th...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank macca09
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words for our staff and we are delight to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcome you back again in the near future.

Banchory Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

I thought the hotel was very nice throughout in fact better than I was expecting, perhaps because of the mixed reviews.
Room was lovely, we were in a sea view deluxe room. It was very large, nice decor, decent sized fridge, good shower, large safe, good air con, large comfortable bed, lots of storage and everything in good working order.

The whole hotel was very clean and well maintained with a definite thai feel.

Round the pool there are great sun beds, very large beach towels are provided. Although you only have one hour a day in which to swap them for clean ones (5-6pm at poolside) not always convenient. Unless there is another way which we weren't informed about.
Sun beds are a bit squashed in round pool area. Slight shortage first week but hotel was quieter second week so no problem getting one then. Staff appeared to bring sun beds out of store for those who couldn't get one and asked.
The sea was very rough which we expected but jumping in the big waves was fun. It was very windy which was a god send due to the heat. Weather was very good with just the odd shower.

Beach looked like it was getting worked on after a couple of days of us being there and at which time all beach sun beds were removed as well as little beach bars, not to be replaced while we were there (we stayed for two weeks). The bars and sun beds were very tatty and a bit of an eyesore. So perhaps improvements are planned.

Yes, most of the staff speak very little English and this was sometimes a problem but you're in Thailand not Britain and you manage eventually.

The guards on the front gate were wonderful. Always so friendly and chatty.

We were traveling with teenagers and booked this hotel for the convenient location i.e beach front and close to amenities and for that it was perfect. We have previously stayed at the Katathani which is much more sedate and if it had been just myself and my husband we would have preferred it, but we were very happy with Kata Beach Resort and found it ideal for the teenagers being right across the road from everything they could possibly want.

Our favourite restaurant was Cafe Opera. To reach it cross over the road outside of hotel and turn to the left walk a little till you reach the lane on your right with all the restaurants and bars on, Cafe Opera is half way up on right hand side. Food and live music is not to be missed.

All in all fantastic holiday and great hotel.

Room Tip: Pool and terrace area in swim up rooms tended to be shaded all day
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
5 Thank Veronica T
Andrew S, General Manager at Kata Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words and we are delight to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Now that the few days of rough weather is behind us, the beach looks fantastic and clean, non of the eye-sore huts are in sight. We are happy to know that you have made good use of the local eateries around the hotel.

Again thank you for your kind words and we look forward to welcome you back again in the near future.

Beechworth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Spent a week here in July. The sea was too rough and we avoided the beach but we made full use of the pool in front of our pool access room with our daughters in the adjoining room.The rooms were comfortable but would be improved with insect screen doors as we were either indoors with air-conditioning and cold or outdoors on the pool deck and too hot, a natural breeze through would have been good but our daughters complained of mosquitoes if the doors were open. It was great location with a wide range of shops and restaurants just outside the front gate,after all why travel all that way to spend all your time in a westernized resort

Room Tip: Ask for deluxe pool access rooms, they are quiet and we didn't use the big resort pool at all
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank beech57
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words and we are delight to know that you enjoyed your stay in the Pool Access room. We look forward to welcome you back again in the near future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Kata Beach Resort

Location 10 out of 10 - Best located resort in Phuket, right on the beach. Couldn't ask for a better location. For this reason, I will stay there again.

Service 6 out of 10.

Most of the time, service was ok, but a few things disappointed me. One time I asked the reception if hey had a dvd player to hire. The girl said no, but the tv's had a movie channel. I asked what channel. Her reply was "I'm not sure". I said "Can you find out?". She said, sorry I'm knocking off in 10 minutes???

Unlike the staff at Centara Karon, the staff seem to avoid creating their guests. It seems they avoid talking to you as you go past in the hall way.

The gym was stinking hot, and there was rarely any staff there. Barely any equipment. The fridge that said "Free bottled ice water available" was always locked. The one time there was a staff member there I asked if she could unlock it, she said "Sorry I haven't got the key". That was it. No, wait I`ll get that organised for you.

All the restaurants, shops and bars within the hotel were empty. Probably because they were all 3 to 4 times dearer than the shops outside the hotel.

Breakfast was included. Times were from 6:30 to 10am, but if you arrived after 9am, you got the dregs.

Don't ever accept the staffs offer to organise a taxi, tuk tuk or bus from the hotel because they'll charge you at least double of what you'll pay out the front of the hotel if you organise your own transport.

I gave the porter a good tip when he delivered our bagagge to our room on day 1, so I thought I could probably rely on him to lok after us. Instead I think he thought that we could easily be ripped off, and after a few offers of very expensive taxi rides I decided not to trust him, and organised my own travel around the area.

The cleaning ladies that tidied our rooms every morning did a great job.

Like I said, I`d still stay there again because it is the best location. Its within walking distance to everything. The beach is great, good for surfing and the pool area sits directly over the beach too, BUT I wouldn't uses the resorts facilities or expect the staff to look after you.

1 hour to airport which I paid 900 Baht for taxi. (if you walk out front 50metres)

Staff will organise taxi for 1800 Baht for you.

Room Tip: You cab choose a room with beach views which in my opinion are worth the extra $$$.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Coastrunners
Andrew S, General Manager at Kata Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words and please accept our sincere apologies if we have overlook certain areas. It is comforting to know that you will be returning to Kata Beach Resort again.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Spent a family holiday at Kata Beach Resort on an 8 day package deal. Thought the deal was pretty good. Having 2 teenagers we opted for two adjoining rooms. These were deluxe rooms and were quite acceptable and comfortable. Both had fabulous views overlooking the pool and the beach.
In this day and age all resorts should have free and unlimited wifi, especially given every little business in Thailand hands it out willy nilly to its customers. The wifi at the resort was only available in the lobby and at best was only barely acceptable in certain spots. For 700baht I could have purchased a weeks worth but it was the principle of it that I didn't purchase it.
Staff were relatively friendly and courteous. Breakfasts included were great and the surrounds very neat.
It's position right on the beach is superb so the choice of pool or surf was always available. During our stay the military moved in and dislodged all the beach vendors and beach chairs leaving the expanse of beach pristine and clear but unfortunately a little devoid of atmosphere in my opinion. I liked the vendors and chairs. They were cheap and you could get a beer, cocktail, ice cream or soft drink for half the price of the resort pool bar.
I would say that the resort probably is in need of an update but all in all we loved our stay in Kata Beach. We never ate there as local restaurants abound at far better prices which is what Thailand is famous for.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Damien B
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words and we are delight to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and took the opportunity to enjoy the local eateries. we look forward to welcome you back again in the near future.