You will pay double the amount for far worse rooms in other hotels in Kata.
Being new, this hotel still feels quite fresh. The modern concrete interior will not be to everyone’s taste, but I actually quite liked it. I had a pool access room & I have no complaints about the room itself at all. I shared my pool with one other room next door. My air conditioning was very noisy while trying to sleep but to be fair to the hotel I didn’t mention this to them so didn’t give them the opportunity to fix it.
The downside… the hill. It really is very steep which does make life difficult. My room was at the very top of the hotel (Room 4305) so a buggy from reception was essential with bags etc. However, as I discovered to my horror, if it is raining or has recently been raining, (which in September is likely), they say that it is too slippery for the buggies, so you either walk or you’re stuck either up in your room or down in reception. When I checked out, it of course was raining so no buggies and I had no choice but to take my life in my hands and walk down with all my bags etc. If you have any mobility problems this hotel is definitely not for you.
The only other disappointment was that I was expecting an amazing view of the sea being so high up, but the hotel has been built facing into Kata town, so my room had no view of the sea at all. I think you would have a better view if you were on the other side of the hotel (the pools spread down the hill in the middle of 2 blocks of buildings, as you looked up the hill at the hotel from the lobby, my room was located on the right hand side).
I didn’t eat at the hotel so don’t know what the food was like, but I was disappointed that there wasn’t a hotel bar. As with most hotels and resorts the mini bar drinks are very pricey – I just bought my own in the supermarket and used the fridge in the room.
In conclusion, you will not get better than this for the price (approx £30 a night for a deluxe pool access room on agoda.com), and the rooms are good and layout of the pools quirky and even rather attractive, but ultimately the overall design of the hotel itself is rather poorly conceived and access can be a nightmare.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Unique, trendy treat and giving you a new kind of stylish sensual experience surrounded by cascading water from eleven multi-tiered infinity swimming pools set among beautiful tropical gardens, with superb views of Kata Beach and beyond from the chic and contemporary rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, ACCOR, Agoda, TravelUp, Hotelopia, Ebookers, Hotel.de and HRS so you can book your Sugar Palm Grand Hillside reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sugar Palm Grand, Hillside Hotel Kata Beach
- Sugar Palm Grand Hillside Kata
- Sugar Palm Grand Hillside Phuket/Kata Beach