“Brilliant Value for Money”

Sugar Palm Grand Hillside
Ranked #15 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Reviewed 26 August 2011

I stayed at the property in early August for 3 nights and it was exceptional value for money at $AUD40 per night which I booked on the net. The room was uber cool and had all the latest trappings incl Samsung flat screen. Excellent view of Kata Beach and easy walk to the village. If you have a whinge about the hill, you shouldn’t be travelling and should be in a nursing room. It is nothing. Staff were friendly, breakfast was fine, pools were great, very quiet and all in all, a very enjoyable stay. Very nice neighbours from NZ also made the trip. My only suggestion would be to play some western music at the pool rather than Thai, mix it up a bit.
Ross P Kennedy

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 15 August 2011

This was our second stay here and would stay here again. Very minimalistic style with great feel around the hotel. Since our last stay they have a mac computer hooked up to the large LCD tv which is great.

We stayed in pool access Room 3103 which was at the very top of the resort. The large pool was only used by 6 pool access rooms and was long enough to do laps. Infinity edge on pool with great views to Kata. Spectacular at night.

People complain about the hill to resort but we had not problems and I'm not in the most physical condition :) It might be hard for elderly but many rooms are available lower on the hill and lifts are available. Location is in a great part of Kata.

Breakfast was great with a good egg station. The food was always fresh and hot. Good selection.

Service was resonable but not the most friendliest I have experienced in Thailand. A bit down on last visit. Only downside of our stay was the aircon at the start of our stay smelt but only for the first day.

Has a 10% discount at Mali restaurant. Best food and exceptional service.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dprebble
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Got a pretty good deal to stay at the Grand Hillside for 2 days. The Grand Hillside is located up on a little hill, near the Kata Beach. It was created to looking like a sprawling waterfall with all it's mini swimming pools - 11 in total!

When I got there, the staff were really friendly. We had originally gotten a room near the lower levels but were given a better room upon arrival and stating our preferences. After a really steep ride up in a little buggy, we got to our room. We got a pool access room and could see a birdseye view of Phuket from our pool.

The room was really comfortable. I didn't really like that it was quite bare and was mostly done up in concrete flooring. The room also smelt quite stale. But after awhile, it was ok. I was really surprised to see a mac mini set all ready for my use. :) This was really awesome. Many hotels in phuket offer you wi-fi but don't tell you that wi-fi is limited to common areas. The rest of the facilities, bathroom and fridge, and little couch were all really comfy and made me feel right at home.

I loved that I could just jump into my pool straight from my balcony and did this many times. The view from the pool was also absolutely breath-taking.

Downside to the hotel is the accessibility. Grand Hillside is located atop a hill and it is quite a steep uphill climb. If you can overcome that, it's a fantastic place to stay. Unfortunately, because of this climb, there is also no easily accessible places, like restaurants and massage palours like it's sister property Sugar Palm Resort and Spa. But I felt that it was fine, given that I could walk out anyway and at the very least, it was in close vicinity to my favourite massage palour, the Kata Big Rock!

The staff here are much nicer than those at the Sugar Palm Resort and Spa. This is my favourite Sugar Palm property and I definitely will be back!

Room Tip: Try to get the rooms nearer the top. A steep uphill climb, but worth it for the view!
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Stayed for 3 nights in July 2011 after spotting reviews on tripadvisor. We had been tossing up between Kata Beach Resort & Sugar Palm Grand Hillside. So glad we went with Sugar Palm, we booked a pool access room & loved it. Much prefer that to a view (though if you are on 4th floor as our friends were then you also get a view). 4th floor pool access was to a smallish private pool shared by only 3 rooms, on 2nd floor 3 rooms have access to pool but it is the main pool with swim up bar so during the day some other people from non pool access rooms come down & swim.

The driveway is steep but short, we had 2 other couples holidaying with us - us in our 30's, plus them in their 50's and noone complained or had trouble. Walk to the beach is even shorter than i'd thought, from Sugar lobby to Kata Beach resort takes about 90 seconds then the walk down the lane by Kata Beach Resort takes another minute or so.

Breakfast was average / ok, they had an egg station so you could have fresh cooked eggs, breakfast was fine but nothing amazing. Rooms were clean & spacious enough, great that they have all apple products in room with free wifi. Dined accross the driveway at Orchid which was ok but much preffered the restaurant on the main street called East & West (accross rd from Kata Beach Resort). Dined there twice and all of us loved the food, they also had a 100B menu.

Will definitely stay here again in a pool access room, was a great tranquil resort. Staff didn't speak english all that well but we didn't have anything urgent to ask them so was ok. Would have stayed longer here if there were better deals on the rooms!!

Other tips: theres a laundromat down the driveway... Ska Bar which is built into the cove on the beach was a great hangout & good views.... wouldn't take a baby small toddler here as the floors are polished concrete.

Room Tip: Pool access room was awesome
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Sugar palm is located up a small hill from the main road. Upon check in, the hotel arranged a golf cart to send us to our room because it is a long and steep up slope journey. Luckily there is elevator on the next level of where we stayed.
When we entered the room, I loved the design of the room. It’s simple and clean. The room is also equipped with free wifi and Mac computer. Outside of the room is the pool and from the pool we get to see the stretch of street. The resort provided all the necessary items that a five star hotel will provide, eg. bath robe, beach slipper, beach towel etc.
It is only 5 mins walk to the Kata beach from the resort. Along the street, there are many option of restaurants, bars and massage parlor. However the disadvantage is that Kata has very limited night life.
With this affordable price for pool access room and location, I will definitely come back again.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

Their rooms are great but their customer service needs hell lots of improvement. The worst service I ever received in my numerous trip to Thailand.

It happens like this. After we checked out from the hotel and returned at 7pm for a shower (shower room provided). When we reached the shower room, towels were not ready for us. So we hurried the guy who drove us up in buggy to get the towels for us as we are rushing. But they took more than 20mins and have yet to deliver to us! Ended up, we dried ourselves in our dirty clothes and rushed down to the reception to ask for an explanation. To our amaze, the receptionist were all using the computers and chit chatting. When asked, they merely apologized and said we called the in charge twice and offered to check again now! This is really the worst customer service I ever encountered. Never return to this place again!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank pllee88
Reviewed 28 July 2011

You will pay double the amount for far worse rooms in other hotels in Kata.
Being new, this hotel still feels quite fresh. The modern concrete interior will not be to everyone’s taste, but I actually quite liked it. I had a pool access room & I have no complaints about the room itself at all. I shared my pool with one other room next door. My air conditioning was very noisy while trying to sleep but to be fair to the hotel I didn’t mention this to them so didn’t give them the opportunity to fix it.

The downside… the hill. It really is very steep which does make life difficult. My room was at the very top of the hotel (Room 4305) so a buggy from reception was essential with bags etc. However, as I discovered to my horror, if it is raining or has recently been raining, (which in September is likely), they say that it is too slippery for the buggies, so you either walk or you’re stuck either up in your room or down in reception. When I checked out, it of course was raining so no buggies and I had no choice but to take my life in my hands and walk down with all my bags etc. If you have any mobility problems this hotel is definitely not for you.

The only other disappointment was that I was expecting an amazing view of the sea being so high up, but the hotel has been built facing into Kata town, so my room had no view of the sea at all. I think you would have a better view if you were on the other side of the hotel (the pools spread down the hill in the middle of 2 blocks of buildings, as you looked up the hill at the hotel from the lobby, my room was located on the right hand side).

I didn’t eat at the hotel so don’t know what the food was like, but I was disappointed that there wasn’t a hotel bar. As with most hotels and resorts the mini bar drinks are very pricey – I just bought my own in the supermarket and used the fridge in the room.

In conclusion, you will not get better than this for the price (approx £30 a night for a deluxe pool access room on agoda.com), and the rooms are good and layout of the pools quirky and even rather attractive, but ultimately the overall design of the hotel itself is rather poorly conceived and access can be a nightmare.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms lower down the hill and on the left hand side (as you look up the hill)
  • Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo