“Mediocre service, nice pool”

Sugar Palm Grand Hillside
Ranked #13 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
San Francisco, California
“Mediocre service, nice pool”
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Initial checkin was smooth at first. I was taken to a room on the first level, but the card reader that's supposed to activate the power was malfunctioning so there was no electricity. Maintenance looked into it but couldn't seem to get the power to stay on after 20 minutes. I went to lobby and asked if I could be given another room. Front desk was reluctant and asked if I could wait. 10 minutes later I was told that the problem was fixed, only to find out that it wasn't when I walked back into the room. I had to make my way back to the lobby again to demand a room change. I was then taken all the way up to "Level 9" in a golf cart to another room. I later I realized that maybe I would've been better off waiting it out and staying on the first floor because the walk from the ground to this level was pretty gnarly. It's a good 10 minutes of confusing turns with 2 different elevators and then an uphill climb, and I wasn't even at the top level. Some of the staff at the front desk didn't speak English at all, which I found odd. The staff at the restaurant wasn't particularly friendly either. My room included breakfast and I was given a coupon for each day. I forgot to bring it with me one morning, and the hostess at the restaurant actually wanted me to go all the way back uphill to get my coupon. When I refused and told her to just check my room number, she gave me a really nasty look. The fact that she doesn't speak English well probably didn't help the situation either. Overall, I think the service at this hotel was mediocre. The only saving grace would be its central location and the many pools.

Room Tip: Try to stay on lower level room to save yourself from walking
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 24 April 2013

The room was very good, clean and with a balcony with a view to the beach! The breakfast was one of the good ones that I know! With a very good buffet and a different range of fruit! I enjoyed a lot! The staff, cleaner, receptionists and people who were serving breakfast, were kind and very friendly! The swimming pool area was nice and different from what I am used to see! All the staff were very helpful on giving us tips about what to visit in the surroundings!

Room Tip: We were in the room 1403 and it was very good, sunny, with a nice view to the beach and quiet!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2013

The hotel is inexpensive and very nice. Location is good, but not a sea-view. It is small, but the quality is so big. Me and my gang stayed at the pool access room on the highest floor which i think it was the best room type available. We were so lucky as nobody stayed at the same level so the pool was on our own! We swam day and night. I really love the view from the pool where you can see the hotel from above and city view below.

The room itself was vast and comfortable.The service was great as well as the overall atmosphere. The place was quiet and lovely. The breakfast was also good considering it wasn't a big hotel.

This is one of the best option for those who have tight budget, but still want a good place to stay. only one small thing bugging me is it was tiring for me to walk up the way to get to my room which was on the top floor. At the time of my stay, there was no elevator, but i think there's one by now.

Room Tip: Pool access room on the highest floor is the best
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank GTogether
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Spend 2 nights at the hotel and I have to say I love the place. It's located within walking distance from Kata Beach and the night life, and yet is quiet as it is sitting on top of a slope. IN a nutshell, accessible but still feels exclusive. Breakfast was good and had enough variety not to be boring across 2 days. Free can of beer, coke, juice and of course mineral water everyday was lovely. The bed and pillows were horrible though. They were so soft, you will sink in upon lying on it. I will still go back to the hotel when I come back, but I do hope they change to a better bed and pillow soon.

Room Tip: Request for a lower floor if you do not wish to take 2 lifts to reach your room.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
sydney
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Stayed at the Sugar Palm and all the family came along too from France and Australia... My wife is thai as well.... Dont know why people saying the hill is Huge I guess if you have a broken leg or lazy and dont like excerise then there is a problem some of my family from France are in there 70s and loved the hill for excersise Im 36 years old and my wife is 30 and we ran up it..... its not bad at all...... its like a 10 - 15 second walk its nothing Had an awesome view of the beach from my balcony.. Breakfast was good no complaints.... 2 minutes walk to Kata Beach , Resturants.... everything Basicaly.... I think the Sugar Palm needs to work on the TV channels allot in Russian .... I dont watch Tv much but when im in bed dont mind to see whats going on.... Pool is nice no complaints... Staff always friendly and willing to help.... will go out of there way also .
Kata is very expensive..... for thailand there are other places that are cheaper and beautiful too Russians everywhere they need to respect people not just push people out the way lots of nepalese selling stuff in the market stall there not thai dont get confussed...

Room Tip: cant rate the Fitness and children activities as I dont have kids and also didnt use the fitness cen...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Cape Town
Reviewed 11 April 2013

We were very happy with the hotel, it was exactly as per the pictures and there were no nasty surprises. I was glad I took a reviewer's advice and requested a room on a lower level, as the hill is long and steep if you don't wish to wait for the lift.
The staff are very kind and helpful, and try their best to breach the language barrier. (I called for more toilet paper, and a man arrived a minute later with a plunger! Once he relaised what I wanted he was back in a flash with a huge smile and the toilet rolls).
However, the language barrier prevented me getting my wake up call on check-out day, but luckily I had set an alarm just in case.
Restaurant only does breakfast which is fine and has the usual array.
Free can of beer, coke, juice and two waters in your minibar every day is a nice touch.
Design of room is modern contemporary, some design glitches and some cosmetic touch ups needed. Otherwise we were very happy.
Free wifi was good and fast.
Travel lady (Ann) at Wanpen Travel down the road was extremely helpful when I had to cancel a trip at the last minute due to an ill child.
Pools are lovely and spotless - not a stray leaf or speck!
Beach and restaurants are 3 minutes walk.
All in all a very good experience!
We would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Lower floors mean less walking, so 3rd or 4th floor would be great. But those have no private pool...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Its a small hotel. nice location close to the beach and close to everything else around. The design is modern and the pool is nice. The Bed was NOT good, was uncomfortable as well as the pillows. the service is good...and for such a low price!!! its a very good option to stay!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple