Initial checkin was smooth at first. I was taken to a room on the first level, but the card reader that's supposed to activate the power was malfunctioning so there was no electricity. Maintenance looked into it but couldn't seem to get the power to stay on after 20 minutes. I went to lobby and asked if I could be given another room. Front desk was reluctant and asked if I could wait. 10 minutes later I was told that the problem was fixed, only to find out that it wasn't when I walked back into the room. I had to make my way back to the lobby again to demand a room change. I was then taken all the way up to "Level 9" in a golf cart to another room. I later I realized that maybe I would've been better off waiting it out and staying on the first floor because the walk from the ground to this level was pretty gnarly. It's a good 10 minutes of confusing turns with 2 different elevators and then an uphill climb, and I wasn't even at the top level. Some of the staff at the front desk didn't speak English at all, which I found odd. The staff at the restaurant wasn't particularly friendly either. My room included breakfast and I was given a coupon for each day. I forgot to bring it with me one morning, and the hostess at the restaurant actually wanted me to go all the way back uphill to get my coupon. When I refused and told her to just check my room number, she gave me a really nasty look. The fact that she doesn't speak English well probably didn't help the situation either. Overall, I think the service at this hotel was mediocre. The only saving grace would be its central location and the many pools.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Unique, trendy treat and giving you a new kind of stylish sensual experience surrounded by cascading water from eleven multi-tiered infinity swimming pools set among beautiful tropical gardens, with superb views of Kata Beach and beyond from the chic and contemporary rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, ACCOR, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Ebookers, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Sugar Palm Grand Hillside reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sugar Palm Grand, Hillside Hotel Kata Beach
- Sugar Palm Grand Hillside Kata
- Sugar Palm Grand Hillside Phuket/Kata Beach