“Quality at Kata Beach”

Sugar Palm Grand Hillside
Ranked #15 of 55 Hotels in Kata Beach
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Completed a 17 night stay at Sugar Palm and we really enjoyed it. Hotel is up a hill looking over the kata beach and town area, yes the hill is a little annoying walking to and from the beach but anyone with even a slight level of fitness will have no troubles. Our pool view room had a great view and was spacious. Good air conditioning and nice bathrooms. The rooms are serviced well and the free minibar/ water and coke each day was a nice touch. Wifi in the rooms is a bit dodgy but it is also accessible out at the pools and in public areas so this is no big deal. Pools are large and numerous, are clean and cool and have a good outlook, breakfast was included for us and was good quality and plenty of it. Hotel is about a 5 minute walk to the beach and all of Kata beach restaurants. kata beach is nice however it is busy and crowded. If you wan a more quiet and clean beach then hire a scooter from the hotel and ride around to Kata Noi beach about 5 mins scooter away, amazing. Staff at the hotel are friendly and helpful. This hotel is great value for the price.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel are closer to the pool and town so try to get one of these. Also try...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,005)

Reviewed 29 April 2013

Unfortunately we were relegated to this hotel after being told that the one we had previously booked was OVER booked. We stayed exactly one night then got the he'll out of there.
We were taken to our room on the back of a golf buggy and told to "hold on". That was an under statement. We were then driven up 80 degree gradient hills to our room. If you don't like heights then this is not the hotel for you. In fact if you have any knee, hip or leg injuries DO NOT STAY HERE ! Our internet was down and after 2 calls to the front desk we gave up at 1 am.
The following morning we fronted up to breakfast and had our breakfast token taken from us without even a good morning or smile. Breakfast was adequate but we had to chase up a cup of tea and coffee as the waiters were not bothering to provide adequate service.
We had our luggage taken down stairs and left as quickly as possible.
We have stayed in many hotels and found this one quite substandard for its price. So readers beware!

Room Tip: We can't supply this information as there was no information folder in our room. We don't e...
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We stayed there for our honey moon in April 2013 for 4 nights. First the hotel was great. It is clean and well furnished and the food there for breakfast was amazing too. We had a room with pool access and the pool was good too. The hotel is too close from the beach. You can go night shopping and having dinner by walking too. The location is amazing and we enjoyed our stay there.

Room Tip: Room with pool access
Reviewed 27 April 2013

We stayed in September 2012 there for 2 weeks, couple with a 2 y.o kid, everything was fine, we stayed before in the Palm Garden and the Kata beach resort and some others before the child was born but none of them was worth going back, we just wanted to be close to the beach and have our peace when needed, a pool to cool down when to hot and a big and comfortable room for the kid, we had all in sugar palm, breakfast was good with everything you would expect, the swimming pool was clean, we had room with sea view and jacuzzi on the balcony, amazing ! It was our first trip overseas with the kid, never been sick, always had good weather (in september!) , hotel staff was always helpful , we had complaints about the poor wifi they gave us a router, the restaurant across the street was good for take aways, so we will definitely book again

Room Tip: Take one from the 4th floor , sea view and large balcony with jacuzzi if you cant or wont make it to...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Initial checkin was smooth at first. I was taken to a room on the first level, but the card reader that's supposed to activate the power was malfunctioning so there was no electricity. Maintenance looked into it but couldn't seem to get the power to stay on after 20 minutes. I went to lobby and asked if I could be given another room. Front desk was reluctant and asked if I could wait. 10 minutes later I was told that the problem was fixed, only to find out that it wasn't when I walked back into the room. I had to make my way back to the lobby again to demand a room change. I was then taken all the way up to "Level 9" in a golf cart to another room. I later I realized that maybe I would've been better off waiting it out and staying on the first floor because the walk from the ground to this level was pretty gnarly. It's a good 10 minutes of confusing turns with 2 different elevators and then an uphill climb, and I wasn't even at the top level. Some of the staff at the front desk didn't speak English at all, which I found odd. The staff at the restaurant wasn't particularly friendly either. My room included breakfast and I was given a coupon for each day. I forgot to bring it with me one morning, and the hostess at the restaurant actually wanted me to go all the way back uphill to get my coupon. When I refused and told her to just check my room number, she gave me a really nasty look. The fact that she doesn't speak English well probably didn't help the situation either. Overall, I think the service at this hotel was mediocre. The only saving grace would be its central location and the many pools.

Room Tip: Try to stay on lower level room to save yourself from walking
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 April 2013

The room was very good, clean and with a balcony with a view to the beach! The breakfast was one of the good ones that I know! With a very good buffet and a different range of fruit! I enjoyed a lot! The staff, cleaner, receptionists and people who were serving breakfast, were kind and very friendly! The swimming pool area was nice and different from what I am used to see! All the staff were very helpful on giving us tips about what to visit in the surroundings!

Room Tip: We were in the room 1403 and it was very good, sunny, with a nice view to the beach and quiet!
Reviewed 15 April 2013

The hotel is inexpensive and very nice. Location is good, but not a sea-view. It is small, but the quality is so big. Me and my gang stayed at the pool access room on the highest floor which i think it was the best room type available. We were so lucky as nobody stayed at the same level so the pool was on our own! We swam day and night. I really love the view from the pool where you can see the hotel from above and city view below.

The room itself was vast and comfortable.The service was great as well as the overall atmosphere. The place was quiet and lovely. The breakfast was also good considering it wasn't a big hotel.

This is one of the best option for those who have tight budget, but still want a good place to stay. only one small thing bugging me is it was tiring for me to walk up the way to get to my room which was on the top floor. At the time of my stay, there was no elevator, but i think there's one by now.

Room Tip: Pool access room on the highest floor is the best
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends