Exactly what the others have said, there is a 40degree incline to the entrance of the hotel. It is actually about 100m and takes 5 minutes to walk. An issue if you have elderly, difficulty walking or lots to carry. The other con mentioned was that the hotel was undergoing renovation. The last con mentioned in the other reviews were having to change lift which I will elaborate below.
The above two were not applicable to us, as I travelled with my 50-60s parents who are healthy and fit and had no difficulty walking. Our taxi brought us directly to the lobby of the hotel bypassing the slope so we only walked up & down that slope when we went out for meals or to the beach so no luggages and it was fine.
The hotel is 5-7 minutes walking to the beach and food and shops are 5 minutes away as well. Various types of restaurants & massages around and you can choose accordingly to your budget. Recommend Darin massage which is 5 minutes from the beach and we just walked and tried different restaurants for meals. There were night market stalls at night, selling clothes, fruits & food which is also walking distance from the hotel.
We requested for high floors and got the highest non-pool access rooms. This was accessible through the first lift that takes you to about 8th floor and then you have to change and then climb another slope. Again, this depends on what you want. If you find it a hassle to change lifts, you can stay on the lower floors. We were okay so we were happy to get a very high floor though it was cumbersome to get to our rooms via changing of two lifts and climbing up a relatively steep slope which my daddy was quite tired to climb by the second night. So just to take note of this if you want to request for high floors. If not, you can request for relatively high floors that you will only need to change lifts and not climb. However, they have a buggy to bring you and your luggage but only for check in and out.
About the room:
Our rooom was newly renovated and very nice and big and new. Everything was perfect about the room. Basins were outside the toilet and there were two so convenient to use it while someone is in the toilet. Basic complimentary mini bar and drinking bottle/pax provided daily. Hair dryer, toiletries (shampoo, soap, toothbrush) were provied. Both bath and beach towels provided. And they also provided both bed time slippers as well as beach slippers which was so convenient! Umbrellas were also provided in the room with a safe.
Breakfast was basic for asians' standard but sufficient. An egg station, bread, salad, fruits and some hot food. Please try the fruits, its so fresh and sweet because this is Thailand!
The main pool was small but good enough. We did not use it as we were at the beach most of the time. There were also various small pools for the pool access rooms ...
We had 3 people and they charged us extra per night... FYI
The hotel also had local tours etc if you want to sign up but we did not join any as we just wanted to relax by the beach.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Unique, trendy treat and giving you a new kind of stylish sensual experience surrounded by cascading water from eleven multi-tiered infinity swimming pools set among beautiful tropical gardens, with superb views of Kata Beach and beyond from the chic and contemporary rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Hotelopia, Hotels.com, ACCOR, Ebookers, TravelUp, Odigeo, Booking.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sugar Palm Grand Hillside reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sugar Palm Grand, Hillside Hotel Kata Beach
- Sugar Palm Grand Hillside Kata
- Sugar Palm Grand Hillside Phuket/Kata Beach