“Extremely disappointing experience”

3rd street cafe & Guesthouse
Ranked #45 of 65 Kata Beach B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Not sure what other people who wrote review are used to but I booked a stay at this place confident it would be a memorable one. It was surely memorable, but not for the right reasons.
If you are in a hurry, just listen to me: DO NOT STAY HERE unless you are planning to spend the whole day at the beach and the whole night at the bars, without really spending more than a couple of hours in the room.

If you are still here, good, read on the detail of my experience.
- Direction: the place is pretty new so taxi/bus don't know where it is. Ensure you have the phone number of the hotel to give to the driver so he can ask and finally get you there. It may be helpful to say that it's on the back of the Outdoor Inn
- Check in: we arrived early afternoon and while our info was ready, they didn't know we asked for an extra bed. Little issue... they provided one right away so it was fine. I was prompted for the bill that needed to be paid in advance. I didn't mind it and I presented my credit card. The person at the counter, with broken English, replied that only cash was accepted. After a while, it turned out that the person didn't know how to use the credit card terminal so, after my complaining, she managed to get someone to get in and do the job for her.
- Room: rooms are new, as the place was built recently. The quality isn't the highest and, despite we got the "suite", it was on par with other places I stayed before but that were a lot cheaper (the size of the bathroom was very big but the fittings definitely not up to it, without shower curtain and with a normal electric water heater)
- Neighborhood: the place is in a good position on a back street but it's right on top of a very active bar which parties until late night. This was the worst part of my stay as I couldn't close eye until 2am or so every single night due to the noise coming
- Breakfast: it was included in the room price but I wasn't impressed. Every day 2 eggs, one slice of ham and one slice of bacon (which got smaller each day). Vegan option: a plate of pinapple. There should have been a third option but it wasn't available during our stay.
- Staff: there were only 2 people onsite from 8am till about 8pm (it's a small place and it was low season so I guess that's acceptable). Nobody was available in the period 8pm-8am and everything was closed and lights were off in the main reception/restaurant area. Both people didn't speak much English so we were lucky not to have real need to speak to them to get through our vacation. I can surely say that the people onsite tried very hard to be helpful and the results were limited just because of their skills, not their will to work hard.
- Taxi: we asked for a taxi to go to airport when we were leaving and it took them 30 minutes to get someone to pick us up (I think they got a friend to drive there so to keep the money in the "family"... still it was exactly same price as taxi on the street)
- Incident: the drain of the bathroom got clogged during our stay and started to flood water to the bathroom floor. We had to wait until the next day for it to be fixed (it was early evening when we reported it). We got granted the use of another room's bathroom so this didn't become a big issue in the end.

Altogether this is my final verdict: the place is a guesthouse and should be priced as a guesthouse (1K THB max / night, we paid about 2.5 times that much). Even at that price, a few things are still unacceptable (little to no english spoken, reception closed at night, waiting 30 min for taxi, extremely noisy neighborhood). I'm giving it 2 stars instead of 1 just because of the good will of the staff and their hard work.

Room Tip: Get a room with a shower, not the bathtub.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Davide P

Reviewed 10 August 2013

I love the style of this hotel as it looks good as presented in photos. There are 7 rooms in here and each of them are different from each others but I did not get the chance to see all them though. Moreover, the building is spotless, clean and good smell which thx to two ladies who clean it and managed my room everyday to be fresh clean room during my stay of 4 nights.

The staffs: Khun Vi, the manager/owner is quite nice and friendly as once when I informed her about leaking of water from a/c then half an hour the repairman arrived with Lucky, the receptionist and another two ladies to clean my place very quickly. Then all the pb gone within 1 hours after their arriving. All of them said 'Sorry' for this inconveniences many times which was the good manner of them. In addition, they try to provide help, advises and even offered to escort me to pharmacy at 8 pm. when I need some meds. Big Thanks for that!!

The location: It is next to many other cheaper guesthouses such as Southern Fried Rice, Ship Inn ect. but this one is quite new as it reopened in Aug 2013 after renovation during low season. It takes about 10 minutes to the beach for slow walker like myself but safe pathway. However, it is next to a bar and some of them turned on music and/or having party but it was not too noisy and never be over than midnight. However, I and my partner are deep sleepers so we never find pb with sleeping, even during peak season of Chiangmai, Thailand which visitors seem to come here for having firework war and concerts in every beer gardens.

In addition, the bar next door is operated as a tour agency during the daytime which sold us the carpool ticket for 200 baht/person from Kata-Airport while the other agencies wanted to sell us at 300 baht or calling 800-1000 baht from private taxi. However I dont remember his name or number, but location. The van picked us ontime and wasnt in bad condition; not too old, with a/c and picked up another 9 people from kata to patong. Afterward, we arrived airport within 1.45 hours which was not too bad and cheap.

The free wifi-- It was pbs in the first few days but after the guy fixed it then it much improved. I could be able to watch YouTube and upload things online. On the other hand, I dont know about sustainability of system which you shall ask before your checking-in.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2013

This hotel was a surprise discovery for me. It was my second time going to Phuket, and staying at Kata Beach. The staff at the guesthouse were really sweet. We arrived really late at night but yet, they were there waiting for us with a big smile on their face to check us in. Breakfast is a simple affair. The room was spacious and clean. Location is absolutely perfect. It's only a 5-10 minute walk to Kata beach. There are restaurants, bars and shops around the guesthouse.

The only one complain which I have BUT I'm not sure if it was completely the guesthouse's fault - We had a really early flight to catch when we were leaving Phuket and none of the minivan service (which cost THB200 per person) began that early so we asked the staff at the guesthouse to arrange an airport transfer for us. We paid THB800 in total for the airport transfer for the 2 of us. However, while we were on the way to the airport, the driver stops at a hotel and was waiting to pick other guests up! Firstly, if we had paid THB200 per person I would be able to accept this because it would be a minivan service but we paid THB800!! Secondly, we didn't have enough time! If my friend hadn't told the guy to get moving, we might have missed our flight!

So, if you do decide to ask the guesthouse to arrange an airport transfer for you, my advice is to make sure upfront that is specifically for you, and they're not picking other people up.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 March 2013

I came to Phuket with my friend for holiday and a bit working for a week.
We stayed here for 7 nights. I was very happy to stay here.First day we got in the hotel very late But a staff in the guesthouse was waiting us for checking in with big smile. Room was cleaned and nice. Staffs ( Lucky and Mon ) are so friendly and helpful..Thank you.
The guesthouse is not 5 stars but we felt like home.Breakfast was OK.It's closed to shopping area. Easy to go to the beach and good restaurant.Free WiFi is Perfect.Good amenity in room..shower gel,shampoo,soap,shower cap,cotton bud,drinking water,coffee everyday.

We could go to patong just only 15-20 minutes and phuket town about 45 minutes.
Recommend to the one who looking for accommodation in Kata with the resonable price not 5 stars service.

Room Tip: we got mountain room..Nice!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Thank you to lovely staff at 3rd street cafe.
We got the best time all our stayed here.

Room was very clean,staff was very helpful with smile that made my family felt stay at home.

Good location,just 5 minutes walk to kata beach which my favorite beach.
Clean sea with sunshine,so beautiful.

I like kata beach.
For sure next year we will be back to stay at 3rd street cafe and have the sunbath at Kata beach.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 11 November 2012

My husband and I stayed here at the end of our honeymoon and it was just ok.
We were upgraded which was great (for the 4 days we stayed, we were the only people there).
The room was clean and spacious and the bathroom nice. We did get half used mini bottles of shampoo and body wash and these were not replaced when we ran out which was all a little strange. The outlook wasn't great (we looked out to a large area of dirt and dumped rubbish from our room).
The restaurant was nice, the food was good and a reasonable price but the beer was old and flat.
The owner/reception/cook woman was really lovely and helpful. However, the cleaner and breakfast cook desperately needed some training and it would be good if she learned a little English so she can communicate with English speaking guests a bit.
She cleaned the room well but never topped up things we ran out of, I broke a glass which I went and told them but she never replaced it so my husband was drinking out of a medicine cup. We also came back from the beach after a rainstorm absolutely drenched and when we got to the room and got in the shower, we found she hadn't given us any towels so we had to use a hand towel.
She also made breakfasts which were not terrible but not great and every single morning she talked on her cellphone and served while she was speaking on speaker phone. I didn't mind if it was once, but doing it every morning seemed pretty rude and unprofessional and made us feel a but like we were getting in the way of her day. One morning, after getting up early other mornings to go on trips (and wanting a little bit of a sleep in) we were woken up just after 8am with loud banging on the door demanding we go down to breakfast as she had to go to town. The way she did it was quite rude and I feel that if she is working and we are paying for the service, we shouldn't feel like we are at boarding school.
The music was so loud outside and went until about 4am everyday. Some nights we left the tv on to drown out the terrible kareoke so we could sleep. The last night we stayed we got up at 6am to catch a plane and the loud drunken kareoke sounding music only stopped at 6.30am. Don't stay here if you need sleep.
It was pretty expensive for what it was but aspects of this place were good and the owner was lovely. I hope the girl working there gets some feedback and training and considering how quiet and empty it was, I hope they have more people staying there in the future.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NZKate_12
Reviewed 5 November 2012

My wife and I stayed at 3rd street cafe for 4days and 3 nights in late October and overall we were pretty happy with our stay there.

The manager/owner(?) was very friendly and helpful. The room itself was clean with a nice bathroom.

The food at the cafe (thai food) was pretty affordable and delicious. This was one of the few places that had Thai iced tea, which my wife and I love.

It's about a 5 minute walk to the beach and the place is located near the night market.

You can also walk up to the Dino golf place and Karon and the shops from here.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
#1 of 55 in Kata Beach
Sugar Marina Resort - FASHION
Sugar Marina Resort - FASHION
#29 of 55 in Kata Beach

Been to 3rd street cafe & Guesthouse? Share your experiences!