Not sure what other people who wrote review are used to but I booked a stay at this place confident it would be a memorable one. It was surely memorable, but not for the right reasons.
If you are in a hurry, just listen to me: DO NOT STAY HERE unless you are planning to spend the whole day at the beach and the whole night at the bars, without really spending more than a couple of hours in the room.
If you are still here, good, read on the detail of my experience.
- Direction: the place is pretty new so taxi/bus don't know where it is. Ensure you have the phone number of the hotel to give to the driver so he can ask and finally get you there. It may be helpful to say that it's on the back of the Outdoor Inn
- Check in: we arrived early afternoon and while our info was ready, they didn't know we asked for an extra bed. Little issue... they provided one right away so it was fine. I was prompted for the bill that needed to be paid in advance. I didn't mind it and I presented my credit card. The person at the counter, with broken English, replied that only cash was accepted. After a while, it turned out that the person didn't know how to use the credit card terminal so, after my complaining, she managed to get someone to get in and do the job for her.
- Room: rooms are new, as the place was built recently. The quality isn't the highest and, despite we got the "suite", it was on par with other places I stayed before but that were a lot cheaper (the size of the bathroom was very big but the fittings definitely not up to it, without shower curtain and with a normal electric water heater)
- Neighborhood: the place is in a good position on a back street but it's right on top of a very active bar which parties until late night. This was the worst part of my stay as I couldn't close eye until 2am or so every single night due to the noise coming
- Breakfast: it was included in the room price but I wasn't impressed. Every day 2 eggs, one slice of ham and one slice of bacon (which got smaller each day). Vegan option: a plate of pinapple. There should have been a third option but it wasn't available during our stay.
- Staff: there were only 2 people onsite from 8am till about 8pm (it's a small place and it was low season so I guess that's acceptable). Nobody was available in the period 8pm-8am and everything was closed and lights were off in the main reception/restaurant area. Both people didn't speak much English so we were lucky not to have real need to speak to them to get through our vacation. I can surely say that the people onsite tried very hard to be helpful and the results were limited just because of their skills, not their will to work hard.
- Taxi: we asked for a taxi to go to airport when we were leaving and it took them 30 minutes to get someone to pick us up (I think they got a friend to drive there so to keep the money in the "family"... still it was exactly same price as taxi on the street)
- Incident: the drain of the bathroom got clogged during our stay and started to flood water to the bathroom floor. We had to wait until the next day for it to be fixed (it was early evening when we reported it). We got granted the use of another room's bathroom so this didn't become a big issue in the end.
Altogether this is my final verdict: the place is a guesthouse and should be priced as a guesthouse (1K THB max / night, we paid about 2.5 times that much). Even at that price, a few things are still unacceptable (little to no english spoken, reception closed at night, waiting 30 min for taxi, extremely noisy neighborhood). I'm giving it 2 stars instead of 1 just because of the good will of the staff and their hard work.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We would like to invite you to stay with us at the newest and most stylish guesthouse in Phuket, Thailand. The 3rd Street Café is located in the Kata Night Bazaar. We are ideally located just steps away from shopping, dining, nighttime entertainment, and only 200 meters from Kata Beach and 600 meters from Karon Beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your 3rd street cafe & Guesthouse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 3rd Street Cafe And Guesthouse
- 3rd Street Cafe & Guesthouse Hotel Kata Beach
- 3rd Street Cafe & Guesthouse Phuket/Kata Beach