“Great pool but other areas need improvement”

Metadee Resort and Villas
Ranked #10 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at Metadee this weekend for two nights (short trip from Singapore). We were looking for a direct pool access room in a resort with a great pool at Kata or Karon beach. Metadee had this, however it was a disappointment in other areas.

Pros - the stretch of pool that winds through the direct access rooms is wonderful and we absolutely loved it
- the room was nice and large. We were very happy with it.

Cons - when we first arrived we were advised that due to "some problems" we were being given a free room upgrade to a private pool villa. The villa was very disappointing. The pool was extremely small, so small in fact that my husband thought it was the spa pool and they were going to then show us our actual pool. The villa was large but not particularly inviting. The outdoor area was small with a high wall. The whole setup had a very closed-off depressing feel about it. We asked to be taken back to the reception to see if we could have the room we had actually booked. Reception was pretty unhappy to hear our request and there was lots of umming and ahhing, but they finally acquiesced. We were more than happy with the direct access room and its surroundings when we were eventually taken there.

- We returned to our room after lunch the next day and our room hadn't been made up by housekeeping. After going in the pool three or four times our towels were all rather wet (2 x pool towels and 2 x shower towels) and so as instructed, we left them on the bath as a signal that we wanted new ones. By 2 pm our room still hadn't been cleaned. I called reception to ask that someone bring us up some new towels. An hour later housekeeping came and cleaned the room, leaving us some new pool towels, but not shower towels. They just took our wet shower towels out of the bath and rehung them on the rack. Upon finding them I called reception again to say the towels were not changed as requested and to please send up some new ones. They assured me that housekeeping would come straight up. Noone ever came.
- the two other resorts we have stayed at in the area are Katathani and Kata Beach Resort. Friendly customer service was a priority at both of these resorts, but we didn't find that was the case at Metadee. Staff would greet you with a smile or hello, but dealing with anyone on reception or on the phone wasn't that pleasant. Noone seemed eager to help and I certainly didn't feel like they were listening to what you said. As soon as they thought they knew what you wanted they would interrupt or cease to listen. It felt like they were just trying to get rid of you as soon as possible.
- although the stretch of pool with the direct access rooms was fantastic, the main section of pool was pretty small and average. I would be very disappointed if I had had a normal room.

Things to note
- the walk up the driveway and to the main Kata shops wasn't as bad as I anticipated from the reviews on there. The driveway is probably about a 3 min walk and the walk up the street is about an additional 5 min walk.
- We found the italian restaurant at the top of the driveway to be excellent. Best pizza we've had in Asia and the pasta was homemade and very good. The restaurant was opened very late for dinner (our Friday night flight arrived quite late).

So in summary, great pool but I wouldn't stay again due to the service.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RachaelMorris
Write a ReviewReviews (1,415)

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Stayed at Deluxe Pool View Room for 6 nights there and enjoyed it so much. The room is big, love the bathroom. Walking distance to Kata beach, but why would you need the beach when you have a nice heated swimming pool at the resort. Staffs are very friendly and helpful. Buffet breakfast was perfect. The only issue I have during my stay was the internet connection keeps logging you out.

Room Tip: More privacy and secure on Deluxe Pool-View Room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We stayed for 10 nights in a private pool villa and to be completely honest the room was quite nice and covered our expectations. The areas we did feel lacked a lot were as follows:

STAFF - Found most staff were quite unfriendly (except for a few that worked in the restaurant especially GUY :) ) but the reception staff and guys that drove the buggys were quite unfriendly most of the time. Their English was also very poor for a 4-5 start resort.

HOUSEKEEPING - Extremely poor. Rooms were "cleaned daily" bed was NEVER changed just made. I had to call reception after 5 days to request that they were changed not just made. Even after this they were changed but with sheets, quilt and pillow cases that did have existing stains on them. They had a system where if you wanted the bed just making or change to put your request on the bed. This was completely disregarded by the housekeeping staff.

Several times the housekeeping staff did not leave fresh towels for us, we had to call reception an ask for them to be sent to our room. They also forgot on 3 occasions to replenish our mini bar and several times we had to request toilet roll to be topped up. We also found one morning that we had no shower gel.

Our pool was not cleaned throughout the duration of our 10 night stay after day 1.

OVERALL - Very poor housekeeping.

INTERNET - the worst Wi-Fi we have EVER come across. Was not even worth connecting to. Dropped out consistently and became very frustrating to use. Very poor. I would suggest that they either upgrade or do not have this as a feature as it is pathetic. Connection at the local cafes was far better.

Overall - would we come back?? Probably not. Sorry Metadee but based on all of the above facts I would rather stay elsewhere on our next visit to Thailand.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

My husband and I stayed a week in a pool view room

Pros- nice view
-great pool
-I really liked the location. It isn't very close to the beach, but we didn't mind the walk and they offered a shuttle to the beach on the hour. We really liked that it was close to mini marts, spas, and restaurants
-The staff was very friendly

Cons- the bathroom - while it was pretty, it didn't offer much privacy. The sliding doors that separated it from the bedroom did not close completely.
-The breakfast was great the first couple of days, but we started getting tired of it mid week
-We did not care for the food at the restaurant. There were much better options on main road for better prices

Reviewed 1 November 2013

We stayed here last December and again everything was great. Last year we had booked a Private pool villa, but unfortunately this year due to us booking last minute they were all full. We settled with a Pool Access deluxe room which was the next best thing and the pool access was really enjoyed first thing in the morning by our two young kids. A great surprise was the first morning at breakfast the General Manager, Tommy, came to greet us and welcome us back. That sort of welcome is really appreciated and shows you they care. As with last year all the staff were very helpful and smily and I was surprised how many of them recognised us as return guests also.
Thank you once again Tommy and your team, we will definately be back again to see you all next year.

Room Tip: Book early so you can get the Private Pool Villa as they are definately worth the extra little.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I wanted to rave about the resort as I did last October but I can't. I can't help but feel disappointed with them this time round.

This year I have decided to book pool access room direct with the hotel and there are some problem with my booking. They cancelled my booking. Instead of finding ways to to resolve my problem, the solution given was disappointing. I wanted to change to another hotel but as another group of friends are staying in Metadee too, I have no alternative but to reserve a pool view room 2 weeks prior my trip for and seek for another hotel for the remainig days in Phuket,

When we reached there, we saw signs of wear and tear in the room. The pool aren't as clean as before. My friends who are staying in the pool access room have issue with cockroaches in their room and they waited more than 30 mins for fresh towels. Staffs are not as friendly as they used to be.

Despite the disappointment, there are 3 staffs there that make things seem better and brighten up my stay. We requested extra pillows from housekeeper, Tim. Before sending them to us, she sun and air them. Such simple gesture but with big heart. The lady @the hotel's restaurant (whom I forgot her name) who remembered us from our previous visit.
The friendly buggy guy who always there to ferry us in and out the hotel without fail.

We wanted to make Metadee as our annual retreat but now, we need to reconsider. For the pool I will definitely come back but for the services and rooms... let me reconsider again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Metadee for 10 nights at the end of September-beginning of October. We wanted a relaxing holiday and chose the hotel as it was relatively small. We were a little dissapointed with the weather (lots of rain but still very warm) but the hotel and friendly staff made for a perfect holiday. I can definitely recommend staying in one of the pool access rooms. The pool is quite beautiful, surrounded by lush green foliage. Not normally an early riser even I was happy to take a swim before breakfast!
The buffet style breakfast was excellent, plenty of choice (including vegetarian) and Boy and Sebastian were always attentive and willing to teach you a new Thai word or to share a joke.
Our room did have a bit of a musty smell, not unexpected with the air con, but was quiet and mosquito free (a couple of plug in machines kept them away).
If I was to be picky I would say that some aspects of the hotel could use a bit of TLC but nothing to complain about.
We enjoyed our stay, liked the quiet location - away from the main road. We thought the hotel was good value and we certainly had a relaxing time.

Room Tip: Our room was 5120 away from the restaurant, bar and main pool area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kata Beach
Chanalai Romantica Resort
Chanalai Romantica Resort
#7 of 56 in Kata Beach
Nook Dee Boutique Resort by Andacura

Been to Metadee Resort and Villas? Share your experiences!