We (2 adults + 2 kids) stayed at Ibis Kata in a family room. These rooms have a double bed and a bunk bed (2 single beds) and although the room was a little small for what is in it, the furniture is designed to use the space well so it doesn't feel cramped - suitcases can be stored under the main bed and the pillar in the middle of the room divides it so it feels bigger. The cleanliness of the bathroom could have been better, and I wouldn't recommed using the provided shampoo, but the bathroom was up to expectations.
There were a lot of group tours staying at the hotel at the same time as us, which meant at times the lobby and restaurant were very crowded - but it also means that if you don't like the crowds you could time your meals to be away from the group tours and have it almost to yourself. It felt like group tours were the hotel's main source of customers - the parking area at the front is suitable for several large buses. We tried the buffet breakfast once (it wasn't included in our room price) and thought it wasn't very good value - every other day we ate breakfast at restaurants nearby. The choice of foods at the buffet is a bit limited but still a reasonable number of choices - possibly better than expected for a budget hotel.
During our stay there was some noisy work happening in the pool area which I think was keeping many guests away from the pool, so this was both good and bad - our children didn't mind the noise while swimming but I found it annoying. I tried using the free Wifi in the lobby but it was so slow as to be almost unusable - anything more than checking email takes too long.
In regards to location, it is a very quiet area of Phuket which is one reason why we chose it - we didn't want to have difficult questions to answer from the children like might be expected in Patong and certainly we didn't see anything to blush at. There aren't that many restaurants within walking distance, but enough to give a choice of foods. If you turn left when leaving the hotel, then turn left at the first corner we thought the Watermelon restaurant near the 7-eleven was good value and tasty. The beach is about 1km away (due to having to walk around club med), but the hotel has a free shuttle going to the beach which we found convenient to use on the way to the beach as it goes whenever you want, but coming back was easier to walk than wait for it.
I don't really have anything bad to say about the hotel, but then nothing truly amazed me either - pretty much exactly what I expected for a budget hotel. One word of warning though (nothing to do with the hotel) - if you turn left when exiting the hotel, near the first street corner there are several tour agencies - a man named Yaya runs one of them and I don't think he can be trusted. After arranging a sightseeing tour with him and paying in full, he turns up at our hotel lobby about half an hour before we are due to go on the tour saying that he couldn't get us the price he quoted for transport and we need to pay another 800baht. After a bit of argument, reluctantly I paid as we couldn't really do much else - but it really left a sour taste on what was otherwise a good sightseeing tour.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Looking for top value Phuket accommodation Bright, light filled and modern. Trendy, fresh and fun. Ibis Phuket Kata sits fiveminutes from the clear waters of Kata Beach. The hotel is ideal for families and couples alike with shopping, dining and nightlife just moments away. 258 rooms, 24 hour service, snacks and drinks. Surf, swim or soak up the sun in this friendly oasis - the perfect hideaway when relaxation is at the top of your list. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Expedia, Cancelon, HotelsClick, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers and HotelQuickly so you can book your ibis Phuket Kata reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ibis Phuket Kata Hotel Kata Beach
- Ibis Phuket Kata Kata Beach