“Great Hotel, Great Value!”
Review of ibis Phuket Kata

ibis Phuket Kata
Ranked #25 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Reviewed 25 August 2011

This hotel is located in a very nice area outside Phuket. It is quiet and peaceful and has lovely clean rooms. They are quite small but that is to be expected for and Ibis. It was such a great price and had everything we needed including a massage therapist by the pool and a day spa salon located right next to the hotel with great prices.
The breakfast was quite good with a chef cooking eggs on request. The hotel has free wifi. It is not luxurious but it is modern and has everything you need. The Thai staff are so friendly and considerate. I was impressed by their service. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
IsabelleHanon, Manager at ibis Phuket Kata, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2011

We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and especially that you were pleased with the hotel overall concept and its location. We would like to thank you for your compliments on our staff friendliness, of course we will let them know about it! We hope to have you back again at ibis Kata or in any ibis hotel in Thailand!

Reviewed 22 August 2011

we stayed in another Ibis hotel in patong and decided it was unbeatable so booked again with them for 2 nights, the hotel is so affordable and just lovely to stay in, brilliant air conditioned rooms, with lovely bathrooms and balconys and bed. breakfast was good in the hotel and the staff were so friendly. the hotel has restaurants nearby and the beach is a 15 min walking distance approx.
The only problem was very small and dealt with brilliantly- they were doing some work on the swimming pool area and it was loud! This shouldnt be a problem for everyone and the staff were really understanding and gave us a complimentry breakfast for the inconvenience!

Room Tip: Great Thai hotel
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
IsabelleHanon, Manager at ibis Phuket Kata, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2011

We thank you for your comments, ibis concept is all about good services and value for money and we are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to having you back again !

Reviewed 11 August 2011

the hotel was good value clean and had very friendly staff so it was a very pleasant stay,but the breakfast could be improved greatly by having an omelette bar and some decent bacon,it would have made our stay complete.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
IsabelleHanon, Manager at ibis Phuket Kata, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2011

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate the fact that you were pleased with our value for money and cleanliness and we will pass your compliments on to our staff. Concerning the breakfast, we thank your comments and we will work on improving it accordingly.We hope to welcome you back soon at any ibis in Thailand!

Reviewed 31 July 2011

We (2 adults + 2 kids) stayed at Ibis Kata in a family room. These rooms have a double bed and a bunk bed (2 single beds) and although the room was a little small for what is in it, the furniture is designed to use the space well so it doesn't feel cramped - suitcases can be stored under the main bed and the pillar in the middle of the room divides it so it feels bigger. The cleanliness of the bathroom could have been better, and I wouldn't recommed using the provided shampoo, but the bathroom was up to expectations.

There were a lot of group tours staying at the hotel at the same time as us, which meant at times the lobby and restaurant were very crowded - but it also means that if you don't like the crowds you could time your meals to be away from the group tours and have it almost to yourself. It felt like group tours were the hotel's main source of customers - the parking area at the front is suitable for several large buses. We tried the buffet breakfast once (it wasn't included in our room price) and thought it wasn't very good value - every other day we ate breakfast at restaurants nearby. The choice of foods at the buffet is a bit limited but still a reasonable number of choices - possibly better than expected for a budget hotel.

During our stay there was some noisy work happening in the pool area which I think was keeping many guests away from the pool, so this was both good and bad - our children didn't mind the noise while swimming but I found it annoying. I tried using the free Wifi in the lobby but it was so slow as to be almost unusable - anything more than checking email takes too long.

In regards to location, it is a very quiet area of Phuket which is one reason why we chose it - we didn't want to have difficult questions to answer from the children like might be expected in Patong and certainly we didn't see anything to blush at. There aren't that many restaurants within walking distance, but enough to give a choice of foods. If you turn left when leaving the hotel, then turn left at the first corner we thought the Watermelon restaurant near the 7-eleven was good value and tasty. The beach is about 1km away (due to having to walk around club med), but the hotel has a free shuttle going to the beach which we found convenient to use on the way to the beach as it goes whenever you want, but coming back was easier to walk than wait for it.

I don't really have anything bad to say about the hotel, but then nothing truly amazed me either - pretty much exactly what I expected for a budget hotel. One word of warning though (nothing to do with the hotel) - if you turn left when exiting the hotel, near the first street corner there are several tour agencies - a man named Yaya runs one of them and I don't think he can be trusted. After arranging a sightseeing tour with him and paying in full, he turns up at our hotel lobby about half an hour before we are due to go on the tour saying that he couldn't get us the price he quoted for transport and we need to pay another 800baht. After a bit of argument, reluctantly I paid as we couldn't really do much else - but it really left a sour taste on what was otherwise a good sightseeing tour.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank PlainTShirt
IsabelleHanon, Manager at ibis Phuket Kata, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2011

Thank you for your constructive comements. We are glad that you and your family both were satisfied with our family room, quiet location and free shuttle. Nonetheless we are sorry that you didn't enjoy our restaurant, ibis do it best to offer the best price/quality deal and we appreciate your feedback. We will take your comments about wifi acces into account to improve this aspect. We hope to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

My husband and I stayed in Ibis Kata in December 2010. Did not get the time to write a review earlier.

It is a quite place. Rooms are small and simple. However, we found rooms are neat and clean. Cleaning staff are a dedicated team. Rooms, including bath rooms were always cleaned to be spic-and-span.

Staff is very helpful and friendly. Kata-Noi is at a walkable distance. There is a private vehicle for free pick and drop to the Kata.

Prices are reasonable.

Vegetarian food is not available.

We recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

We are glad to know that you had a great time at ibis Kata and we thank you for your positive feedback about our location, cleanliness and free shuttle service. We will let our staff know about your compliments. We look forward to having you back soon.

Reviewed 26 July 2011

Located near the wonderful beach of Kata, Ibis Hotel provides everything you except from this kind of hotel. Reception staff was helpful. Swimming-pool has an acceptable size and is safe for children. Rooms are clean and functional, even if it was a little small. There is Wifi available for free in the Lobby, and also newspapers such as Bangkok Post or the Nation.

In the surrondings, there are many restaurants. The hotel is located at less than 700 meters from the beach and there is a free shuttle all-day long.

Great place to stay to enjoy the sunny and wonderful Wata, I've enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Seat01A
IsabelleHanon, Manager at ibis Phuket Kata, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2011

Thank you for your comments. It gratified us that you enjoyed you stay as well as our swimming pool, cleanliness and comfortable room. We thank you for mentioning our free services and good location. Moreover we will pass your compliments to our staff. We hope to welcoming you back soon at Ibis Kata.

Reviewed 18 July 2011

I been here several times last year I really like this hotel. it's very nice, clean, reasonable price and always recommend to my friends. today my colleague and I decided to celebrate my last working day in the company by booked ibis kata hotel and found promotion "pay what you want" which it launch at the same check in date.
under my colleague name because I don't have a credit card to book but she can't come to check in together with me because she still working and will finish around midnight so she let me came to check in with confirmation voucher and a copy of her ID to take a rest after working first but front desk staff strongly refused me to check in because of the promotion policy due to really special rate, I understand the policy but I just needed to check in, take a rest then talked to duty manager but the answer is the same cannot, have to wait ...bra..bra..bra..., then I still waited at the lobby area, staff offerd me a drinking water, internet access they were helpful!!
After 1 hour (11pm) I cancelled my booking tonight then find another hotel to stay.
Actually I decided to change the hotel at that time but just want to wait and see how the staff treat their guest, now I got the answer!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank callmebobby
IsabelleHanon, Manager at ibis Phuket Kata, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2011

Thank you for your comments and thank you for your interest and loyalty to ibis Phuket Kata. As you know, Pay What You Want campaign is a very attractive campaign as guests are allowed to pay the rate they want upon check out therefore we have to follow all conditions including “no name change policy” to make sure we limit the abuses. Anyway we hope that you understand our position and we are truly sorry that you waited for more than one hour in the lobby. We still hope that you will give ibis Phuket Kata another chance.