“Mixed feelings”

Ranked #27 of 57 Hotels in Kata Beach
Cluj
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed 28 January 2010

Spent 6 nights in January. I chose it because it's new and I wanted an average priced hotel close to the beach and everything. I like that it was clean, and smelled like new. But the rooms are very small, the hallway looks like a school dorm. We had a baby cot and had to move it every time I opened the closet, it was so cramped. The place seems more like a transit place. Every night there were 2-3 buses with Korean tourist checking in. I had to wait in line at the elevator. And early in the mornings, we sure heard them banging the doors as they were rolling out. Only one or two hundred of them. Out of the 5 hotels I stayed in the 24 days in Thailand this was the only hotel with no breakfast included. It was a mistake, I ended up spending more. The breakfast is about 6 Euros. The internet is 4.5 Euro/hour ( it all adds up in a week believe me).
The service was poor. Although we arrived after 12 pm and we had two small children they told as we had to wait 1 hour for the rooms to be cleaned. They do not help with the luggage. Not very accommodating.
All in all I don't think is good value for the money. If I would do it again I would choose something that has more class, bigger rooms, complementary breakfast and free internet even if a spend a few more bucks. No, I would not recommend it. Not for 6 night. But for transit 1-2 days I think is fine.
One more thing! I am not from the hotel next door. I cannot tell you any other hotels I recommend in Puket but I just read in the local newspaper that they have 700 hotels in Phuket. So be patient and do your homework and you might have a better experience than me.
Cheers!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank GeorgeRa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Lyon
Reviewed 22 January 2010

i stayed in Ibis Kata in december and it was a great experience. This all new hotel is located near to Kata Beach. The room was clean and with good fournitures. The staff was incredibly helpfull and charming. I ve been in many Ibis hotels in the world and this one was one of the best experience. Go there and you won't regret it.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank sakhrabout
Annecy, France
Reviewed 19 January 2010

We have with my wife and my son one week the truth vacancy, this hotel corespond in what what I expects from holidays: staff very acceuillant and competent. Quiet, appropriate(clean), comfortable and close to everything, frankly go will not regret you.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Jakarta
Reviewed 15 January 2010

The hotel is located just across the street from Club Med main gate. A block of shops comprising laundry, massage service and 24 hours convenience store located in the front of the hotel. Check-in took about 20 minutes and the staff has fairly standard English speaking competency. When entering the room, we promptly notice the "compactness" of the room, however it is clean and have various amenities which suitable for a family with toddler. Beside the standard set of towel, they also provide pool towel. Water boiler, refrigerator, safe deposit box are provided in each room. The room is about 3 x 4 meters, not including the bathroom, aisle and terrace. The mattress size is below queen size and it can fairly occupy two (Asian) adults. The lobby and hall way is not air-conditioned, and when we unload our baggage, there is no staff to assist, only carts offered by the receptionist. We are not sure whether this is their standard of service or there will be improvement in the future, as F&B Manager explained to us that they are now running with small team. When my brother order a room service, he has to come down to the restaurant in the lobby to pick it up. The pool area is quite standard with fairly complete facilities.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank proudfatherofenay
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 January 2010

I am a travel agent who was recently on holiday in Thailand. The hotel being new was always going to have teething problems but I was unprepared for the rudeness of the management when there was a problem.
The Ibis chain have always have always been known for their good locations but small rooms. The problem that I have with the hotel is the badly designed bathroom. The shower tray filled very quickly despite there being no obviously blockage of the drain on my first two days there. The following evening the tray overflowed (despite this being a short shower) and water overflowed onto the parquet flooring. I find it amazing that they did not have a drain in the main bathroom area as well as in the shower box.
The Manager then tried to insist that I pay THB6000-8000 for damage that he believed would apppear in 3 days time (ie the flooring will lift). The manager was rude and despite my beauty case and its contents being damaged was unconcerned - his comment was that it shouldn't have been on the floor but if you have ever seen an ibis bathroom you would appreciate that there is no room for it anywhere else.
I left the hotel the next day despite the manager refusing to give me a refund and interestingly met 3 seperate women who had also been staying at the hotel in Kata Beach area later that day who had said that they had overheard the problem and that had said the same thing had happened to their showers.
I believe the hotel should take some responsibility for a design fault and that the Manager should consider doing a customer service course or perhaps consider a change in career.
I have been a travel agent for the last 11 years and have stayed at backpackers/ small local hotels through to 5 star luxury resorts. Regardless of the amount paid you are entitled to a reasonable level of customer service. To the Ibis chains credit the General Manager replied prompty to my email and said that he would investigate.
I will not be recommending this hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank WellingtonChris
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 December 2009

15th December 2009 - 18th December 2009
Family Trip " Phuket Gateway "
* It was a last minute trip for my family to Phuket. We booked our air tickets by AirAsia and we found out that Ibis Phuket Hotel was a good choice for a family at an affordable price. On arrival, we met our greet and meet representative Manop. Very good impression was given by him to my family and even the excursions that he introduced to us throughout our stay in Phuket. Our hotel, " Ibis Phuket Kata " is located at Kata area where it's a very strategic location towards the Kata Beach and restaurants with many other outlets around. During the check-in, the hotel staff Aun and Poh assists us well and we were given adjoining room. Basically the front desk staff is friendly and very well attentive. Breakfast was good and the rooms is nice and comfortable and my mother felt home sleeping in the room which is a very good point. Our entire trip later on continue by Kata Beach, Phuket FantaSea, Phi Phi Island, Maya Bay, James Bond Island, Patong Beach, Soi Bangla, Jungceylon, Karon View Point, Big Buddha, Phong Phang Seafood Restaurant & lastly at the Phuket Factory Outlet Stores. Very big thank you and very much appreciated to our lovely representative in Phuket. Manop ( The local representative) is a very nice guy and knowledgeable around the area and it's well recommended to those travelers who are planning to go Phuket for a trip. He is a good itinerary planner and he satisfied our needs throughout our stay. Not forgetting A, the driver who also send us to Patong Beach and pick us back from the area too. Basically, the locals is very helpful and I simply love the " Som Tham " ( A sour and spicy mixed vegetables local dishes ) by the road side. Generally, my family very happy with the trip to Phuket and we are looking forward for another trip with our external family back into Phuket in the future. =)

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
#51 of 321 in Patong
Sugar Palm Grand Hillside
Sugar Palm Grand Hillside
#12 of 57 in Kata Beach

Been to ibis Phuket Kata? Share your experiences!