“Great family run place”
Review of Villareal Heights

Villareal Heights
Ranked #5 of 65 Kata Beach B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed in Villareal for a week with our two children in one of the larger suites. The room was very well maintained and I particularly liked the 'basement' bathroom which maximised space. We found the room to be of a good size and never felt cramped.

Phil and his wife are very friendly but also give guests space. Phil is more than happy to share his knowledge of the local area and give you recommendations. We used a bike shop down the road (which Phil drove us too) and found the scooters excellent. Although Villareal is walking distance from Kata and Karon I'd recommend motorbikes to get to beaches like Kata Noi (our favourite). Just be careful where you park. I had an unexpected walk to the police station and a 500 baht fine. Phil even came down the police station to try and get me off, which shows the kind of guy he is. Dianne, who works at reception was also helpful and great at entertaining our kids. Thanks for that!

As for food, Phil will recommend a place on the way to Kata beach which does good seafood. The Phad Thai Shop up the main road (you can walk there) is also excellent and very authentic. My one complaint about food in the area is that it has been dumbed down for the European palette, especially if you are used to a bit of spice. There is a restaurant just down from Villareal (green something) which has pretty good food and worth a stop. There are loads of places to eat including plenty of places on the beach. 'On the Rocks' is a nice place at the end of Kata Noi which does decent food for a shack and offers shade and a lovely view.

We didn't try the buffet breakfast but there are plenty of places that open. Kata bakery down the road does decent Western breakfast and Phad Thai Shop does a proper Thai one.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

I booked Superior room but they upgrade me to Deluxe Room w/c I am very thankful seeing the mountain view every morning is like waking up in a paradise. The room is well lighted ventilated and well design thats cooling to your eyes and they clean everyday. The staff ( diane and bev) are very friendly and hospitable. When I got the problem on my tour coz I booked it online on diff company Phil and Joan ( owners ) help me settle things for my tour and they are very accomodating on my questions. So it's better to book with them. It will save more money and time. My experience with Villareal Heights as a solo traveller make me worry less coz they are really helpful and the place is very quiet and peaceful and just few mins walk to kata and karon beach. And got near low price thai cuisine nearby. So if you want a good holiday i would recommend this place. You will have the comfort utmost. Thanks Guys for making my vacation memorable :)

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My friends and I stayed here for 12 nights in Mid March. We both stayed in a ocean view suite which was absolutely perfect. There is so much space and a great walk in shower. The rooms were cleaned to a high standard everyday and this was always done by staff with a smile and a hello around our movements irrelevant of the time of day.

All that as been said about Phil and Jo in other reviews is true! In fact all the staff are fantastic and Villareal Heights as the unique blend of being laid back but is very professionally run. It is always nice to informal chats with staff without all the pomp and formalities associated with chain or larger hotels.

We did our research before booking Villareal Heights and got more than we expected. The hotel is situated on a private road away from all the noise. Yes it is a 10 minute walk from both Kata and Karon but I feel this adds to its appeal, I enjoyed the walk and seeing different things. I did read some reviews which stated this hotel is based on a uphill walk. The uphill part is approx 100 meters and would be best described as a slight incline. You should see some of the uphill climbs for hotels and resorts nearer the beach.

We did spend most of our time in Kata which is a fantastic place and I would recommend to anyone. I would suggest that too get the best from Kata that you hire a scooter or transport, this has nothing to do with the hotel location but the unique layout of Kata.

Thank you to all at Villareal Heights and hope to see you next year.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shaunpop
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My overall experience in Phuket was ok, be it from sightseeing to tours to shopping. But what made my stay in Phuket enjoyable and worth it was the never ending friendly hospitality from the hotel owners, Jo and Phil.

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at Villareal during mid March. Upon arrival we were instantly upgraded to another room because they felt we would have a better view (we didn't even request it!). Everyone was so welcoming and friendly. The rooms are comfortable and have everything you need.

Jo and Phil are just lovely. Jo makes awesome coffee and their croissants are to die for! its not oily and its a treat to eat! Phil kindly offered us a lift on his bike to the local market and surrounding restaurants and Jo took us on a mini tour (free!) to a lovely lookout place at a restaurant/bar, went to feed some elephants and recommended a beauty/spa place and took us there.

They go out of their way to see your day is and make your stay as comfortable as possible. Highly recommend this place as you cannot go past the friendliness and kindness of Phil and Jo :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anika1901
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I had such a wonderful stay here! It is in a good location, only about a 5minute walk to Kata or Karon beaches, and away from the more touristy feeling hotels (which was important for me). The bus to phuket town etc. stop on the road outside, and there are a couple of true-thai style restaurants close by. My room was clean and comfortable with a very decent shower, and all amenities including free wifi! And they were nice enough to change my room to one one with a view - thank you! Phil, Jo and Diane were so welcoming and friendly it was like you were family, and they are full of useful local knowledge. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank KowloonGirl
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Great, clean, comfortable room (with a free upgrade without us even asking) friendly staff, and helpful owners. Definitely recommended.

Definitely follow Phil and Jo's recommendations for restaurants as we had some of the best meals of our lives, especially at Mamanoi Originals!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MorgsPCX
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Hotel is very clean. Hotel owners are amazing hosts and full of advice for local attractions and restaurants. Great morning coffee. Rooms are nicely decorated and beds comfortable. We would gave stayed longer if they had rooms!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
#1 of 2 in Kata Noi Beach
Jinta Andaman
Jinta Andaman
#13 of 53 in Kata Beach

Been to Villareal Heights? Share your experiences!