“An excellent Value and a Surprisingly Nice Room with a Nice View”
Review of Phuket Chaba Hotel

Phuket Chaba Hotel
Ranked #46 of 55 Hotels in Kata Beach
Reviewed 20 March 2011

I accidentally ended up at the Phuket Chaba Hotel as my taxi driver got lost, and didn't seem to know where the hotel was that I was supposed to go to and dropped me by the Phuket Chaba, confusing it with another hotel. In a hurry to get ready for a dinner engagement, I simply decided to stay at the Chaba. But the Phuket Chaba Hotel turned out to be a wonderful find. The tasteful room I was in was impeccably maintained, with a nice design, freshly painted with great colors, and offered a great view of a garden area. The General Manager, Robin Lee, was extremely helpful and went out of his way to be helpful, even personally carrying my bags to my room. The pool area was great. And the location, in Karon, was just down from one of the lively nightlife areas, which was just a walk of a few minutes. I paid 1600 Baht for my room and I found it to be an excellent value. The night before I had stayed at the Ibis---which was sold out for the second night I was going to be in Phuket, (hence my move) and although the Ibis Kata has great benefits (namely price and a nice pool), I actually preferred my room more at the Chaba. All in all, a good find and I was glad I stayed there.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 1 March 2011

Stayed for 4 nights in SUPER room with kicthen, wich is a must when you travel with a baby! Very spacius and clean room.
Staff very freindly and helpfull, resturant ok, breakfast ok, poolbar a bit slow.
The brand new pool area is PERFECT, really great and set in a beautifull quit garden.
Only downside, it is a bit far from the beach and the parth to the beach is along a smelly and dirty river where you have to lift up the babytrolly many times!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank mailtmette
Reviewed 6 February 2011

This is our first visit to Kata as we normally stay in Patong. We stayed 10 nights at Kata and we were pleasantly surprised. There is a wonderful feel here and much nicer than Patong. We thought it might be a bit to quiet but it is full of life and there are plenty of things to do. We travel the world and Chaba hotel filled all the boxes for our visit. It is located in a hotel complex with a few different hotels. We purchased a superior room (cheapest rooms) at a great rate on Agoda. It was furnished lovely with modern wood furniture and very clean. The bed was comfortable and we slept well as it was so quiet. It has Lan line internet that works great.(Don't forget to bring LAN Cable).Two free computers in lobby. The bathroom was clean with roomy shower. We had a good size TV with a good amount of English TV. We do not have a proper balcony but the doors open up and you can put your chairs and little table in front of them and it feels like a balcony. There are two pools. A small one and a large one to swim in which is great and also a bar by the large pool..The breakfast was excellent! Plenty of choice including eggs any way you like them. The beach is a 10 minute walk down a nice path. The last review was really off the mark but you can't please everyone. We were very happy with Chaba and it was great value for the money.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2011

Only stopped 1 night, at end of my holiday, I did try and book hotel for whole of my stay, now i'm glad they were full.
Only Superior Room 212 available. 1800 bahts for the night including breakfast and free internet wifi in room.

Room seemed ok, looked nice, although not much storage space, small very hot & no balcony.
Just didn't feel that clean. The last occupants half used hotel shower gel and soap still in bathroom. The Toilet seat had brown stains on the front half of it. When I complained was told it must be the Thai water used to clean caused the stain. I don't think so. But for 1 night i'll put up with it.
Air Conditioning unit, no remote control so if too hot or cold in the night had to get up to turn off/on.

Bed was comfy although woke up many times scratching from bed sheets. Maybe bugs not sure. Did find long hairs ( not mine) on the bed sheets. Not nice.

Breakfast, very poor, poor choice, orange juice mix way too strong. Cereal was ok. Ive never seen bacon with so much fat. Steaky Bacon without the bacon.

Internet was a joke. No wifi in room. Although advertised there is. Wifi only worked now and again within 5 yards of reception area. I heard another guest complaining neither cable internet or wifi worked in their room. Hotel has 2 computers free of charge in reception, 1 was broken, the other always losing connection. So take your chance in the non Air Conditioned Reception area together with the Mosquitos.

Hotel staff spoke very little English, if there was a problem.. sorry don't understand.

One plus point was the outside pool/garden area at the back of the hotel was superb. Plenty of space, sunbeds and clean pool with shower. Also bar area.

But overall a bad experience.
Go next door to Beach Boutique far, far, better and friendly staff.
For the same price at the Beach Boutique, I had a large Studio Apartment with Balcony.
Or try one of the many other new hotels in the area in the Beach Centre Area.

Would I stay here again? Not if you paid me!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 January 2011

not a big deal, worthy for money! happy staying there..staff is friendly eventhought they not really fluent in English but they trying their best to help us, buffet ok not really much choice, nice environment and quite silent and peace.

• Stayed: February 2010
Reviewed 6 January 2011

Stayed 5 days over Christmas 2010. Very pleasant room, well cleaned every day and the bathroom was nice - lovely shower!

The hotel is close to restaurants and a 10 minute walk from the beach, but set far enough back that it's pretty quiet. There's a pleasant garden with a lake to the side of the hotel, you can hear the frogs singing at night. There's also a tiny little pool inside the hotel and a brand new bigger one outside, which is really lovely and clean.

Nice and quiet at Christmas, nothing special going on in the hotel and no silly compulsory gala dinners. Some of the hotel staff don't speak great English - I was expecting a letter to arrive with some train tickets and the staff member on duty didn't understand when I asked whether it had arrived - fortunately others did.

Breakfast was nice, good selection but staff can be a bit over attentive (turn your back on your coffee for a second and they'll pile sachets of sugar and sweetener onto the plate and cart it off to a table!) Free internet in the room but by cable, no wifi. We travel with an ethernet cable so don't know whether the hotel will lend you one. But a bit of a pain if you have a tablet or smart phone, or want to sit on the other side of the room with your computer.

I'd probably stay here again if I was coming to Kata again, but the town was generally a bit of a rip off so I probably wouldn't do that.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2010

I arrived with my wife, two young children and family friend late at night - we where quickly checked in and looked after - the first thing that strikes me about this nice small hotel is its 'homely feel'. maybe no 5 Stars but certainly all the better for it. My biggest gripe was the pool - a tad small, but a much bigger one on the way... I'd happily stay here again so maybe on my next visit I get chance to use it. How ever, the room was clean and cleaned each day, the breakfast was ample, the location great - in the quiet area (thats what we wanted) of Kata, the beach only a 5minute walk away and afterall there's always tuk-tuk's to take you every where (to be honest next time I'll probably just rent a car). They even got a great little internet corner which came in really useful for my two boys - and me too - Facebook updates!!

Overall, great place, worth the price, good value for money, helpful staff (although English was a problem a few times, but then my Thai ain't so good either).

Would I stay again? I've said it before and I'll say it again... absolutely.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family