“Handy spot” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #46 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Traralgon, Australia
“Handy spot”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

We spent our last four nights here of our 18 day relazing break in Phuket . The hotel has been there awhile but seems well maintained , clean & tidy. There is no elevator which could be a problem for some travellers. The pool area is set in quite a nice garden setting and is nice and peacefull. It is a good spot for families with young children who really were enjoying that area. Just near the pool there is a drink and snack bar and a little further away a billiards room and next to it a lounge area with a big screen which seemed always to be playing sport of some kind. Check in was good and a young lad there took our two suitcases and backpacks and in one go took the lot up the three flights of stairs to our room. He got the nickname MUSCLES STRAIGHT AWAY. Breakfast was just ok and they had a little trouble getting the difference between soft and hard boiled eggs right. The first night the shower head came off and hit me on the head and when we took it down to reception they thought that was very funny and because they were so nice we all had a laugh about it and thereafter whenever I went near reception they held their head and asked if my shower was ok last night and had a great laugh, all good fun, anyhow by the time we got back from dinner the shower was fixed, good service. Hotel is in a good spot near plenty of restaurants, shops and walking distance to both Kata & Karon beach. For the price it is good value.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Jakarta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

First off, I emailed them two days before that we will be arriving at 11:30 P.M at the hotel and of course they did not reply my email. Lo and behold, as I've guessed, the room that I requested 4 months ago in October, 10% deposit paid and when we got there somebody was still occupying our room so I was placed in a temporary room, mind you I was tired and haven't slept.

Without feeling of guilt, they called me and told me that I needed to get out of the temporary room by 12 noon because somebody else is going to occupy the room and I CAN"T GET INTO MY ROOM RIGHT AWAY UNTIL 2 P.M! THE ROOM WHICH I BOOKED IN OCTOBER 2012!!!!!! So I had to wait two hours in which I wanted to sleep. THEY SIMPLY SAID WHY DON'T YOU GO SOMEWHERE ELSE AND COME BACK AT 2 while they should rush cleaning my room as soon as possible so I can get into the room. Luckily I rented a car for the whole duration of the stay.

The bungalow that I rented was at the back near a brackish water, an old building, the bedroom had A.C but the living room didn't. So I need to open the bedroom door to let the cold air into the bedroom. The room was fine but the window by the bathtub was full of feces from maybe geckos, rats, or God knows what that never been cleaned in I don't know how many donkey years.

Luckily the bungalow beside us was under construction so it remained empty for the duration of our stay. But if it was filled, good luck sleeping because the wall was so thin that you can hear everything from people talking to moving around. I would not stay at the bungalow again. The only thing that was good was the t.v, it had tons of cable channels and a nice Sharp Aquos flat screen. While the handyman was fixing the bungalow next door, he smoked, and you can smell the smoke coming in through my room and IT WAS A NON SMOKING BUNGALOW!

On the third day the A.C stopped blowing cold air and they fixed that. The fifth day, the electricity went out for 3 hours plus lucky we had a car and didn't have to stay in the sauna for 3 hours plus. THEY DID NOT HAVE A BACK UP GENERATOR WHICH THEY MUST HAVE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Along the perimeter of the hotel just outside the entrance, there were trash, empty bottles, foam cups, foam plates, papers that weren't picked up since the day we got there. Mind you , we stayed there for 13 days!

I would not stay at Chaba again. If you stay at the newer rooms, don't stay at the room overlooking the road/above the restaurant, because in the evening they had a live band from the restaurant below the room and the restaurant next door until 10 p.m, so you will enjoy the loud live singing until 10 p.m from both downstairs and next door.

4 Thank Abimanyu B
Costa Mesa, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013

With all the places I went in 2.5 weeks in Thailand this is my worst (and only) bad review and I think completely overrated on Trip Advisor for $.

1st off after I made reservations for a superior room with pool view 7 months in advance, after check in they sent me to a deluxe room with partial views of a bush. After I complained they put me in a superior room with sort of a view of the hot tub. Sorry but that is not "pool view" of the normal pool you have and show pictures on your website.

2nd the customer service was horrible. They didnt offer much advice about anything in the area or make us feel like home.

TIP: Want a shuttle to Phuket and ferry to go to Ao Nang - them 900 baht. Or walked down the street to the right and get it for 600 baht.

Room Tip: Double check your reservation with room types during check in they may not match.
1 Thank steveny914
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013

Me and my fiance stayed here for 6 nights mid Jan - We spent a lot of time researching hotels and used trip advisor for all of them so thought i should share our thoughts on our stay at the Chaba. It is very clean hotel with friendly/helpful staff and lovely pool area. The rooms & bathroom were a little smaller than we had expected from the pictures but it was spotless and quite modern. The bed is comfortable.
The breakfast is very good and there is good choice of hot food including eggs to order. fresh fruit and toast/pastries.
The only negative i have to comment on is there is no hairdrier in the rooms and you have to borrow it daily from reception ( a little annoying when you forget and its 3 flights of stairs to reception). Also the shower temperature was either boiling hot of freezing however this seemed to be a problem in most hotels we stayed in around thailand.
The location of the hotels was great about 10 minute walk to Karon beach (which is lovely and worth spending a day there). There is option to walk down alley by sewer but you can cut this out and go round the road and it only about 2 minutes more.
There are lots of bars/shops and restaurants within walking distance to Chaba but it is quiet enough to get decent sleep.
We also had a day trip to Tachai island which i would highly recommend paradise island.
Overall we had a great stay at CHaba hotel and really enjoyed staying in Kata for 6 days. I would recommend to anyone looking for above average, reasonable, clean hotel in a nice area of phuket.

Oxford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013

I was due to stay at the Chaba Hotel, Kata beach in January 2013.
We arrived at the Chaba hotel, and alarm bells immediately rang when we were informed that we would have a certain room for the first few nights, and then change room for the remainder of our stay. We booked a deluxe room with pool view some 6 months earlier, and had been in regular contact with Chaba confirming the booking, and organising an airport pick up. At no point was there a mention of rooms being unavailable. We really didnt want the hassle of packing up and moving mid stay.

We decided to view the room on offer, and immediately turned it down. There was no pool view that we were paying for, the bathroom was small & generally the room wasn’t what we expected.
Reception then offered us another room, again there was no pool view, but overall the room was slightly better. Still we weren’t happy with the room, or the hotel in general and decided to cancel the booking and try elsewhere. We informed reception and they were fine with this. They allowed us to use their internet, and made phone calls to another hotel that we were keen on. They helped us secure a room and within 30mins of arrival at Chaba, we were collected by staff from our new hotel.

Personally, I wouldn’t recommend Chaba hotel as it didn’t suit us. However, the way the staff dealt with our complaint was first class, they couldn’t have been more helpful and understanding.

Room Tip: Book early, email hotel to confirm they have the room you have booked!
1 Thank akadaniel
Copenhagen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013

This is a good place to get a little away from the action in Phuket. Still you are close to everything.

Staff is very friendly and helpfull and the athmosphere is great.

They serve great food too at good prices.

Very good place for families.

We staude in a superiour room.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JakeDane
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013 via mobile

Chaba is a decent 3 star hotel, but not really a resort. First the good aspects: the pool is pretty nice, and the hotel is very clean. Nothing fancy, but you can't fault the housekeeping staffs for anything .

I didn't expect anything very large for the room, and it is quite small. I was in room 122, and it looked out on the tin roof of the restaurant of the hotel and the street. The shower left a lot to be desired, very little water pressure, and the temperature alternated between scalding and freezing. Much of the water just dripped down the wall.

The bed was hard, but not abnormally so. The pillows are a little hard as well. The air con basically was blasting all the time. I tried to turn it down, but it was still a lot of cold air blowing on the bed. I turned it off for a while, but it got too hot. I ended up just putting a fleece sweater over the blanket.

On the location, it is a 10 minute walk along an open sewer to the beach. Not beach front, but not too far too get to the beach. To be honest, i found thge pool a better experience than the beach anyway.Kata itself is fine, but nothing extraordinary to do. But you can find some nice day trips. A few acceptable restaurants, lots of massage parlors, abs junk shops. It isn't Patong, but that is probably a good thing.

If you want real quiet, you'll need to look elsewhere. On Monday night, as I was trying to go to sleep before my scuba diving trip the next day, a supposedly professional karaoke singer was butchering some 80s classics. It was blasting right beneath my window at 2300 to a crowd of literally nobody.

The TV was fuzzy, but decent channels. Put the whole package together and you basically get what you pay for, but no more.

• Stayed January 2013