“SAD PLACE! Wanted to let the elephants escape! Please don't go!”

Kok Chang Safari Elephant Trekking
Ranked #8 of 18 things to do in Kata Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: Kok Chang Elephant Trekking Safari in set on a beautiful ocean viewpoint where the dense tropical jungle overlooks Kata Noi Bay. We offer various jungle routes riding on these Majestic animals from 20 minutes, or to the summit on 30 minute and 1 hour treks. Fully trained and experienced guide handlers will take you and your family through the dense tropical forest along paths and trails from the southwest corner of the beautiful Phuket island stopping at scenic beauty for photographs along the way. Get lucky and sit on the elephants neck. Children and adults are encouraged to stop by the banana kiosk to observe and feed the Elephants, there is no charge. This is a great photo opportunity and you can even touch the elephants trunk.
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Los Angeles, California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“SAD PLACE! Wanted to let the elephants escape! Please don't go!”
Reviewed 8 May 2011

I'm still upset I paid the measly $30AUS to go to this place. So sad to see the elephants being treated so poorly...

I have been to Phuket before and did an amazing elephant trekking tour. It was a bit pricey but so worth it. The elephants were free roaming in a huge enclosure (not close to loud noises which are harmful to elephants), NEVER touched by the hooks the handlers hold, never screamed at by the Thai men, able to stop to "relieve" themsleves, or get a drink of water...they were treated very well. KOK CHANG WAS THE EXACT OPPOSITE! We decided to do the trekking because it was only $30AUS for a 50min ride, but I'm kicking myself for doing so.

When we arrived the elephants were right off the main highway--loud cars and motorbikes--which isn't good for elephants. They are very sensitive to sound and loud noise over time can cause them to have emotional disorders etc. Then I heard the gibbons screaming and realized they had caged gibbons--one of the world's most endangered ape. So sad. Paid and jumped on our elephant. The guide wasn't friendly, didn't wanna talk to us at all. After about 3 minutes of walking with her, he hit her about 3 times super hard with the end of his hook. She wasn't doing anything wrong! The entire time we were on the elephant he was constantly yelling at her to go faster "oui oui" and hitting her so much. I eventually yelled at him to stop hitting her. He hooked her face when she paused to nose around in the moist grass. I felt like crying the whole time. A family riding behind us had two younger girls and you could tell that these little girls were scared and sad to see the elephants being treated so poorly. When I trekked my first time, the guides had a hook but the NEVER even touched the elephants with it.

After the lame trek--we just went up a hill and down a hill, basically--they chained them up and we could feed them bananas. I made sure to feed them all at least 1 full bunch of bananas each--but did not pay a cent to the place. When the staff at the bar area asked how I liked it I openly told them I thought it was upsetting and that I wish I never came. We left instantly and I'm still upset about it.

PLEASE don't go there. There are so many other places near Phuket and in Phuket that you can go to and have a beautiful trek without the pain of seeing these poor elephants being abused. I hope this changes someones mind because I sure wish I had read a review like this that told the truth about the place.

Visited May 2011

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A great ride!”
Reviewed 5 May 2011

Kok Chang was a great Elephant riding experience that we thought was the highlight of our stay in Phuket.

Easily booked our time with a quick phone call, and they arranged for a nice car to come pick us up. They offer complimentary pickup for nearby hotels (in the Patang area), and charge a modest amount for anywhere else, certainly less than a taxi.

We were able to quickly get on the elephants with no waiting around. They offer 20, 30 or 50 minute rides, and we took the 30 minute ride. I think that is plenty, and would not have wanted to go for another 20 minutes, even though it was fun. At the halfway point, which is the crest of the hill, they stop and take pictures of you on your camera, and then let you sit on the elephant's head for the trip back down! Getting to see my wife ride the elephant's head was a memory I'll never forget! :)

They didn't have the right size T shirt in stock for my daughter, but otherwise a great thing to do, especially after getting sunburned the day before at the beach!

1 Thank KevinSe
Sydney
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Fantastic experience, a must do in Thailand”
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Fantastic place, a MUST DO when you're in Thailand. We only went on 20 min trek, and really thought it was enough, as the ride is quite bumpy and rough, as you can imagine :)
We really enjoyed our trip, and would certainly recommend it to everyone.

The only advise is to TAKE YOUR OWN TAXI there, because our taxi driver was sitting there waiting fro us to finish to take us back to our hotel, which was a bit uncomfortable. We would have stayed longer, if we had flexibility of getting our own transport.

Overall, one of the highlights of our trip, great place :)

Singapore, Singapore
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Relaxing and being at one with an elephant”
Reviewed 24 April 2011

an interesting morning out with Champu the elephant. Better to take the 50min ride since the elephants don't run they lumber and eat and stop occasionally

Perth, Australia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“A Thailand must do!”
Reviewed 23 April 2011

There are no set times or tour groups so you can pretty much choose anytime of the day which is fantastic!! The transfer was prompt to pick us up. We did the 50 minute trek and whilst I initially thought hmmm this is a bit average I soon changed my mind once you start to head into the jungle and your guide takes lots of pics of you on the elephant, you see some beautiful views of the adaman sea and get to ride/sit on the elephants neck for a photo op. Our guide actually walked next to us & took snaps while we rode the elephant alone - which was awesome!!! Once off there are free bananas (although we put 100bht in the donation box) and you can feed the elephants. I would definitely recommend this business! Great way to spend a bit of your morning :-)

1 Thank monbar26