“Tropical bliss!”

Ranked #1 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Gauteng, South Africa
“Tropical bliss!”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We booked to stay here for 10 nights while in Thailand, we came in "rainy season" but this wasn't even an issue. It was so humid and hot in the day, despite sporadic overcast spells and rain... it was still so hot. Everything was outstanding, the service, the staff, what they offered and all the advice. The breakfast is incredible and literally has everything you could wish for. The rooms are like individual villas- amazing space and beautiful clean decor. Its on a hillside, so if you stay at one of the higher villas, its difficult to walk up and down all th time, they offer cpmplementary shittle services by golf cart. The view from the rooms is beautiful. I would reccomend the rooms closer down the hill as its closer to the sea and the view of the beach will be better. It is about a 25min taxi drive to Patong. Its a quaint side of Kata and a short taxi trip to Kata beach is welcomed with many choices of restaurants. This is an excellent choice and you wont go wrong in anyway.

1 Thank jacquiandmark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Launceston, Australia
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We have just enjoyed the most wonderful 8 nights at the Shore. We wanted somewhere very special to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary and looked to Kata Noi beach as we had stayed there 23 years ago at the Kata Thani resort and had loved it then. We were very excited having booked the Shore but from the moment we arrived, the experience surpassed even our highest expectations. We were greeted by the excellent Manager Sabine who obviously runs a very happy and efficient team as every single member of staff were superb.

We were taken to our room (number 8821) and the chap who showed us was filled with such pride as he showed us around and waited for the moment when he opened the curtains to show us THAT view ... WOW!! Every bit as good as the pictures on the website. The room layout was excellent with every small detail thought about. We could not fault it. Our housemaid had such pride in her work and on our anniversary the room was prepared so beautifully starting with rose petals saying "surprise" in the entrance hall and so much more.

The walk from our room to the restaurant and beach was only a few minutes and then a little further down the beach we had the choice of all the restaurants at the Kata Thani. We didn't use the buggies much but when we did they were a fun way to get around. The guards at the property were awesome saluting us, clicking their heels and saying our name as we came and went with a cheeky smile! Floating in our pool and watching life on the gorgeous beach was just the best. The restaurant at the Shore is very good and we met the new chef who has recently arrived from Switzerland who is so interested and passionate.

We loved every minute at this very special, luxurious and totally romantic hotel and we very much hope to visit again.

1 Thank Jane S
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Just stayed 6 nights with the wonderful people at The Shore. Not one thing was overlooked, we were left wanting nothing the entire time and found the small things like fresh flowers in the room each day, the room being made over twice a day and rides to our room in a driven buggy by staff at anytime night and day extraordinary. We have stayed in our fair share of 5 star resorts and this tops the list. Free WiFi, levels of English was excellent, cleanliness were stand out things. Location is perfect, very private and secluded with security at the gate but close enough to Patong for shopping and tours. Stay as you wish is a nice feature, we were able to pick the types of pillows, our daily room flowers, ipad selection, board games selection and in room breakfast before arriving. Special mention to Dae, Smart and Jai three staff who were always on hand to help us in any way. Well done guys easily worth the money, was the nicest hotel we seen in our week in Phuket and will definitely be back.

Room Tip: We had 8842 which was nearly the highest, we found it perfect we couldn't see or hear any one el...
1 Thank Kerrod C
Sydney
Reviewed 20 July 2013

My wife and I stayed for 2 weeks (05/07/2013 - 19/07/2013 Room 8871 - great and very private room) and I would say it was one of the most enjoyable experiences my wife and I have ever had (and we travel a lot / worldwide each year even though we review rarely). It was not cheap but we made the most of all The Shore had to offer and so I see it as value for money.

If you want cookie cut hotels like Hiltons, Westins or Intercontinental then this is not it. The service is personal, the people are genuine and the experience is unforgettable.

Our room was cleaned to perfection each day - another review I read indicated to the contrary which I find surprising and I suspect either unlikely or uncharitable to the room attendants. Little personal touches were added by them daily.

More towels then you ever needed, fresh flowers, fruit and more fresh water than we ever needed. A bucket of ice was ordered each afternoon for G&Ts on the balcony and they arrived within minutes and without any fuss or an open hand like many US hotels I have attended.

Due to the nature of the resort i.e. individual villas with high levels of privacy, the architecture was never going to be like the big chains where so many times I have have felt you could be anywhere. The layout requires a bit of walking up and down a few flights for breakfast each morning but after the spread we had it was needed.

Whilst we walked most of the time, if we needed a cart to get to the Katathani restaurants (as opposed to The Shore) or to come home they were there in minutes.

The service at breakfast was second to none. Helpful waitresses (two of which memorised our coffee tastes and had them provided exactly when needed) each day and waiters who helped fill your needs (one fellow would source smoked salmon as he knew I loved it). Fresh omelettes or scrambled eggs made to order with no fuss. Could some things have been done better - of course e.g. the fruit (a wide variety) was not always juicy and flavoursome but compared to many hotels I have stayed at, the quality was high and varied.

We also attended other restaurants within the Katathani Resort - Kookai a lady who worked at the hotel's Thai restaurant was outstanding.

We had dinner and lunch at "The Harbour". Not overly inventive food or 5 star but it was solid and well cooked and I did find a wide range of choices (again having read another critic I don't quite understand the extent of the negativity). I found the pricing of the food (The Harbour / room service) to be reasonable for a resort of this type and the type of food being provided. Management obviously understand that excessive prices drive patrons to other venues.

It was the little things we appreciated. A manager (thank you Sabine) who noted we were flying out late on the Friday and so offered (without being asked) a late checkout of 18:00. Waitresses and front desk staff who knew your name from day one and who genuinely looked like they wanted to attend to your every need. I suspect this was achieved in part by a photo they took of us when we arrived on the first night. No doubt also ensuring our security - there were gentlemen on every entrance to say hello and possibly call you a cart. Not to mention the many stationed throughout the Katathani. It was also the maintenance man who noted an issue with the floor of the day bed in our villa and fixed it proactively without me having to mention it.

I could go on for pages but suffice to say, I have in the last year stayed at the Savoy (January 2013) and the experience was memorable. The experience of The Shore (though different obviously) comes close to this.

We would love to come back given the opportunity.

Room Tip: If you like privacy then our room 8871 is the pick - not too high so not too long a walk but very se...
1 Thank andyha
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We only stayed here for 1 night as we have to leave for Naiyang where our friends were hosting us, but it was overall a great stay.

The room:
We stayed at Room 8832. Reception staff said this was one of the best rooms and indeed it's true. The seaview is excellent and you have to see it for yourself! I like that the room is not too big but definitely spacious enough, making it a very cosy place. You can open the sliding windows during daytime as there aren't mosquitoes at all. Private pool is a little small; I was told over email that it's 5 x 6 meters, but from my estimate, it's probably only 2 x 6 meters. Nevertheless, lovely pool with a lovely view. Pool is also heated too, but it only works if you close the sliding windows as instructed. Room service choices are extremely limited, although I requested for Tom Yum Goong and they accommodated my request. Air conditioner works very well, as compared to other hotels. No lack of amenities in the room - generous amount of toothpaste, unlike other stingy hotels which provide lousy quality of toothpaste and requires you to squeeze it hard. Furnishing of the room is great, everything looks very new and gives a comfortable feeling. Our room has some privacy issue, so we might request for the room beside us - 8833, which we feel has privacy, the next time we go to Shore again.

The service:
Service is generally good. Was warmly welcomed by Sylvia who spoke fantastic English. Airport transfer to and fro is not as good as it should be as no water was given to us and it's such a long distance from the airport to the hotel, so naturally guests will be tired and thirsty. Breakfast selection quite limited, but I'm guessing it's low season so they probably want to avoid food wastage.

The food:
Food is fresh, but expected given the price, although serving is not generous. But it seems like there are plenty of local food choices outside the hotel, just a few minutes walk. We didn't get to go there since we're only staying for 1 night.

Nothing else to review on, but will recommend you to go when there are special deals or discounts as it's quite expensive if you take into perspective the pros and cons which I've listed above. Overall ambience is romantic, so definitely a good place for couples who are willing to splurge. We'll definitely be back when there are special deals/discounts and try the spa to give a more wholesome review. :)

Room Tip: Rooms at Turtle Alley are not too high, not too low, so I recommend the rooms there. Try to get 8833...
2 Thank Hun_house
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this review, 20 July 2013
Dear Hun_house
Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us through Trip Advisor. I am very happy to read that you had a great overall stay. Thank you also for the kind compliments towards our staff, especially regarding a warm welcome Sylvia provided. Your compliments will be shared also with the concerned department as this response is an excellent example of service we constantly strive to provide, an ideal pattern for other staff to follow. I was surprised to read that you didn’t get any water during your transfer from the airport to the hotel, as this is our standard. During the 50 minutes trip from the airport to the hotel our driver should provide a bottle of water and a cold, refreshing towel per person. However, I have sent this complaint to the concerned Management and let them investigate about your case. I do truly apologize about this inconvenience caused to you.
Please also be informed that I have referred your food portion concern to our Executive Chef for his consideration and future improvements.
Regarding your comment about the Breakfast Buffet, please be informed that in addition to the various breakfast buffets, we also provide a daily a la carte menu for guests to order.
I do apologize that our Breakfast buffet (which is the same for low and high season) did not meet your expectation.
We are happy to hear that you will consider another stay in the future, we would be very glad to welcome you back “aShore”!
Sincerely yours,
Boston
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed at the "Shore" during xmas time in 2012. We chose this resort primarily because of the location. After a lot of research we found that Kata Beach was the nicest beach (clean with clear water) in Phuket. We stayed here six nights. After staying here we thought this resort was overpriced, charging four seasons or ritz carlton prices but not delivering the service you would expect.

Pros:
- Location: You are steps away from the beautiful beach while you can lounge at the hotel pool.
- There was tea time everyday with complimentary snacks and tea (we had thai iced tea everyday!)
- There was a shuttle to Patong every night for a very minimal fee, my wife and I used this shuttle every night to eat out in Patong and hang out on Bangla Rd for a bit
- The rooms are very spacious and luxurious, a lot of closet space and the loungers next to the plunge pool are really nice
- All the hotel staff is amazingly helpful and very nice. They really make you feel at home.
- The concierge is amazing, they booked our Phi Phi trip and it was heavenly. They also have great restaurant tips for Patong.
- Complimentary transfer from airport, it is a long way from Phuket airport so it helps the transfer is included in the hotel rate
- Our room was in the middle (not too low and close to the beach and not too high), we were able to get nice views of the beach and sunset and also had our privacy

Cons:
We felt overall the small things were missing to make this resort great and worth the huge price tag it comes with
- The plunge pool we felt smelt like stale water. Not sure if the filtration was weak or if not enough chlorine was in it, but the water had a weird smell. The water was also very cold.
- During tea time, there would be flies all over the fruit and pastries, I was surprised the staff did not using netting to cover the food.
- Limited selections during breakfast, there isn't a lot of counter space to place all the breakfast items which can be challenging for guests when taking food
- We had A LOT OF ANTS our first two nights. They were everywhere in the bathroom, in the sink and near the toilet. We were told it was because of the heavy rains the past few days but we've stayed at many luxury resorts which are essentially in the jungle and we haven't ever had insect problems. We found a few dead cockroaches one day as well in the bathroom. After complaining to the manager, our room was thoroughly fumigated for a few days and the problem was gone. They also compensated us in our bill. I don't remember the manager's name but she was French and she was amazingly helpful!
- We would order Thai Iced Tea everyday for breakfast and tea time at 3pm and each time the drink would taste different. Sometimes too sweet, sometimes not enough milk, it was weird.
- There was almost inexistent service at the pool. Any time we needed to order food or drinks I would have to go find someone. There should be someone always floating around and asking if guests need anything.

I know these are small things, but I felt as a leading luxury resort in Phuket they should be taking care of these little issues. Overall this resort was beautiful, my wife and I had a great time and would love to visit Thailand and Phuket again in the future!

Room Tip: Make sure you let the hotel know exactly where you want your room upfront so you don't get stuck...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank auzperez
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Dear auzperez
Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us through Trip Advisor. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our location, shuttle service, and the luxuriously spacious Villa. Thank you also greatly for the kind compliments towards our staff and myself.
Nevertheless, we regret not meeting your expectation regarding our menu selections during breakfast.
Please be informed that since the 1. July we have newly welcomed a Swiss Executive Chef at the Shore, who will certainly introduce many interesting changes to our culinary repertoire of breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Since your last stay in December 2012, we also improved our pool service by having a dedicated waiter standing by in that and the garden area. I do apologize for insufficient service provided during your previous stay.
As well, we have improved our Afternoon Delight selections while covering all the pastries and fruits, also during breakfast to avoid any pests.
Once again, let me apologize regarding the ants in your room, for which I can fully understand the inconvenience caused to you. Presently and during the monsoon season, we did not have any problems regarding ants in the Villa. However, we always have pest control measures in the villa and nearby outside areas.
Your complaint regarding the Thai Ice Tea has been brought to the attention of concerned departments, and I am confident they will look into the recipe to make sure we have a constant standard. Thank you for this kind feedback.
I hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back “aShore” to prove our great developments and deliver you the fabulous service we are known for.
Sincerely yours,
Richmond, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 11 July 2013

My Partner and I stayed here and honestly beautiful. The rooms were gorgeous.Staff friendly and very accommodating. The resort was great for singles/couples and families. The only fault is that it is a little out if town (Patong) and it will cost you about 1100 bht to get there. Also I was disappointed there was no free Wi Fi and no transfers included which in other resorts there were. In saying that we would love to holiday there again next year. Loved it and thank you.

Room Tip: We were in the junior suite over looking the ocean. Wow!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear Donna M,
After reading your review and your room tip, I see you stayed in a Junior Suite. I would like to clarify for our readers that the Junior Suite is a room type of the Katathani Phuket Beach resort, and not part of The Shore.
At The Shore we do provide free WIFI in the Villa as well in the outside area. At the Katathani we do provide free WIFI in the Lobby and Internet Center.
Also, please let me clarify the prices for a taxi to Patong which is about 500 baht only per way.
We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay at the Katathani!
However I am sorry for this inconveniences caused to you during your otherwise beautiful stay.

Sincerely yours
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 328 in Patong

Been to The Shore at Katathani? Share your experiences!