“Not Worth the Exorbitant Prices...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Shore at Katathani

The Shore at Katathani
Ranked #1 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Los Angeles, CA
“Not Worth the Exorbitant Prices...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

I'll start off by saying The Shore was not my first choice but this is where my friends wanted to stay to that was that. We arrived at the hotel late at night (around 10pm) as our flight from Bangkok was delayed. Welcome/check-in service was courteous but nothing special and the lobby itself looks a bit rough around the edges. We were shown to our room about 15 minutes later via golf-carts with our Room Boy as our guide. I wish I remembered his name for he was the highlight of our trip - extremely funny, friendly and professional guy. Excellent service standards.

As soon as I walked into the room I was kinda taken aback. First: The view is truly spectacular but even more so the sounds... The combination of waves breaking and rain dropping surely made for a magical nights sleep. Second: They did the room up as if we were on honeymoon which made for some laughs as I was traveling with a plutonic friend. The room itself is very nicely decorated and in a Martha-Meets-Thai kind of way.

The beach, Kata Noi, is absolutely breathtaking. Beautiful colour, perfect temperatures and some fun surf. The pools are also quite comfortable. Food and drink, however, is a major miss. Aside from the fresh fruit offered at breakfast I can't think of a single thing that struck me as being delicious. It was all either 'meh' or 'ugh god awful.' Services at the Serenity Spa were also below average. The attendants were all of course very sweet and courteous (as is the norm in Thailand) but the product offered was just not up to 5-star standards.

Had the rate not been approaching $1000 per night my expectations may not have been so high and I may have left the hotel not feeling cheated. This hotel definitely needs to lower its rates to meet the product offered or up its service and product level to make it worth the prices. Until then I won't be back.

Room Tip: You simply must go for the seaview pool villas. Beautiful.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jlessner
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Jlessner

Thank you for your review on TA. I am sorry to read that you weren’t fully satisfied with your stay at The Shore.
However I am glad that you found our Villa very nice, and the view spectacular, indeed it is!
Thank you also very much for your kind compliments towards our staff who escorted you to
your villa. I will be more than happy to pass your compliments to him.
Regarding our Food and beverage selection I am sorry that it didn’t meet your expectation.

Your complain about the Serenity Spa, has been brought to the attention of the Spa Management. Also here I do apologize that the product offered, as you mentioned, didn’t meet your expectation.

Again I am thankful for your feedback, and I wish you a good time back home.
I hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back “aShore” in the near future!

Resort Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

My wife and I have just had 7 days at this magnificent property. We had never been to Phuket before, but did plenty of research on the best areas to stay and the best resorts. We wanted a resort that was not too large, set on a beautiful beach, had a private pool and preferably, adults only - The Shore fitted with everything we wished for.
From the time we arrived, late at night till we left, the staff were always friendly and very helpful. As the property is built on a hill, there can be a lot of stairs to climb from the beach back to your room, but there is always a friendly golf cart driver who will take you back and a porivate pool waiting for you (one dip in the pool and you are back in heaven) Our villa was on the second row which gave us a great view and privacy as well. The villa was stunning, large with a big bathroom that had glass doors that opened to your terrace and sunken lounge. Behind the doors was a large shower area, a claw footed bath, that you could sit in and look across the beautiful bay beyond.
The view from the room is changing all he time, from fishing boats at night with their green lights on, to yachts racing, the afternoon storms rolling in and lightening displays.
The rest of the villa had everything you need including Free WIFI that worked well.
Breakfast for us, was part of the package and was served, buffet style overlooking the beach. You really could not fault the food or service, lots of variety in cold and hot food and they will always happily cooks eggs to your request. We also has lunch and dinner at the same restaurant (The Harbor) and was also enjoyable. Thanks to Tong who was always there at breakfast for a friendly chat.
We also tried restaurants in the adjacent resort which is owned by the same company.La Scala was particularly good for something a bit more upmarket.
I laugh at a couple of comments in other reviews about lizards in the Villas, we had a couple, but they are tiny, they obviously have not been to Australia and seen our lizards and snakes !!!
Special thanks to Sylvia and Austin in reception who were always happy to assist with any request.
Overall, a fantastic stay at a sublime resort. We will be back.
Thanks,
From Peter and Sharon

Room Tip: Rooms not too high up, second or third row are good.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear PierroSydney, Dear Peter and Sharon,
Thank you very much for your magnificent review. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay so much. I will let our staff know about your good comment and also about the villa. We are all looking forward to welcome you back aShore in the near future!!
Greater London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Am currently staying here now - checking out in 2 days. Here's the good and the bad:

Good:
Our room is absolutely beautiful. No sea view because they were sold out, but still amazing. They decorate the room very nicely and put swan / elephant towel animals. Pool is nice temperature. Shower is great- good pressure. Best part of this trip is the room!

When they pick you up from airport the van is really nice. They give you Evian water and a cool towel. Quite nice after a long flight.

Yes there are lizards and bugs but very few and they are friendly. I usually hate bugs but was not bothered the slightest with them.

Bad:
Everyone expects a tip. They linger and stare at you uncomfortably! The first day we had no local currency and didn't feel in a hurry to break our hundreds to give to the wait staff- we thought we would see them over the course of 4 days and tip them later. The golf drivers, wait staff, people that brought our breakfast all made us feel uncomfortable. We are huge tippers but this was a huge turn off.

The hair dryer in the room is weak.

The staff don't speak English. Just a few words. This made communication very difficult. We had a lot of trouble with this. They are nice, but useless in giving information.

Food is average. Nothing to write home about.

Spa closes at 8pm. Way too early!

Check in takes a long time - again, because they can't speak English. Though the snack and the flower lei they give are good.

We booked a romantic candlelight dinner outside the first night. When we arrived the table was set up in a tiny indoor room. I asked them why we weren't outside- they said it was raining earlier. Ok- but- it wasn't raining now and there wasn't one cloud in the sky. Why didn't they move it back outside? We asked them to move it, they obliged. But we waited at least 10 minutes- they could have offered us a drink for this. They didn't even look at us.
The first course was cold - I mentioned this and the rest of the food came hot which is better. The bread was average white bread. The initial service was quite slow- when waiting for the drinks- but the rest was fine. We paid 5000 Baht for it - about 150 dollars- which is fine, but not amazing.

Lastly, we bought sun oil from their store today with the tag that said 400 baht. The checker said his computer made a mistake and charged us 500 Baht but he would change it manually later. Tonight we got a call from some random guy saying it was their mistake but they will charge us 500. My husband couldn't believe they were calling us 10 hours later at night to tell us they will incorrectly charge us for a bottle of tanning oil. The price tag is on the bottle! I'm just annoyed in principle and the unapologetic nature of the people he spoke to.

We are here 1 more night (tomorrow). Hope they resolve the oil issue and will update if so.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Sev92663
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Sara92663
Thanks for your review and your feedback posted on Trip advisor.
I trust you had a safe and hassle free trip back home. I was happy to have met you and your husband upon your check out, and I hope I was able to clear up a few of the points also mentioned above.
I do apologize for the staff’s attitude making you feel uncomfortable. However this is certainly not our standard, as many other reviews have mentioned, and complimented all our staff. However I do look seriously also into this, and therefore I have already spoken to the concerned management and we will do our best to improve this.
Regarding the staff’s English speaking skills, there is always room for improvement as they are not native English speakers. Of course, sometimes there can be some misunderstandings, therefore we also organize English classes, with a native English speaking teacher here at the hotel. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience of any miscommunication that occurred during your stay here.
Please also let me clarify that the Serenity Spa is open daily from 08:00 until 22:00.
Regarding the sun oil charge, I apologize, as this has clearly been a misunderstanding. However I was happy to remove the bill of this sun oil.
I am sorry for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay however, I am glad you fully enjoyed our beautiful villa.
Thank you for recommending The Shore to your friends, as you mentioned, my team and I will certainly look after them very well, and make sure they have a memorable stay!
I hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back “Ashore” in the near future!
Sincerely yours,
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

This is my first time writing a review and i am still staying in the resort at the moment. Why i have to do that, just to give everyone some room tips when you book, in case anyone of you would end up like i am now

I have this habit of going to resorts with pool villa around this time of every year. And i really have been to A LOT. The reason why i insist for a pool villa? Privacy!!!

Well for everyone who wants to book in this hotel, listen to my advice, don't let them put you on first row!!!! Otherwise people on the beach would be able to see you clearly if you are naked in your bathroom or sleeping room. Try going to bath with your clothes on.

Also don't book those villa on the side, otherwise, like my case, you could have someone next villa standing and relaxing at their pool while having a clear glimpse of your whole pool, pavilion and.......sleeping room......In fact, i am lucky enough to have such a neighbor and he does enjoy standing in his pool staring at my room......

It's not the staff fault and in fact they are very nice greeting me when i arrived, trying to make me feel like home. But sadly they can't do much to help me changing to another room because it's 100% booked. However i do hope one of the staff who picked up the call for my request could have been a little bit more patience and not to hang up before i finish on the phone.

Anyway this is a very nice place with nice staff except the one who answered my call. Please try to check in as early as possible in case all rooms are full and you are being allocated villa 8814.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank srd_mf
Dear srd¬_mf

Thanks for your review on TA.

I was glad to have met you and your husband up on your check out. Thank you also for your compliments towards our staff. I am also glad to hear from your husband that you had a good stay and consider to come back to stay with us in the near future. Certainly we will do our best to provide you with the most privacy. May I clarify once again that the people from the beach cannot look into the villas. As for the villa privacy, our resort host offered you another Villa to move in the next day, but this was declined. Due to the full occupancy it was difficult to offer you a solution immediately. We must apologize for this inconvenience. Please rest assured that should this villa preference been requested prior to arrival, we would have arranged a villa with complete privacy for you.

I have also investigated regarding your complaint of one of our staff being impolite on the phone, and clearly it must have been a misunderstanding as our staff never intended to hang up the phone to you. I do truly apologize about this misunderstanding, and making you feel unsatisfied about our service. I am looking forward to welcoming you and your husband back “aShore” in the near future!
Sincerely yours,

Vevey, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

We recently stayed for 2 weeks at The Shore and I would rate the whole experience as one of the best hotels I have stayed in, anywhere. And I am fortunate enough to stay n 5* hotels all over the world.
From the reception on arrival, the room, the facilities, the little touches……the whole friendly nature of the superb staff, there was not a single thing i could fault.

A perfect location, away from the madness of the sister property just next door (500 rooms) the Shore with its +/- 50 rooms never seemed busy.

Complimentary afternoon tea, cooling drinks served at your sun bed, a perfect setting for couples who just want to chill and relax.

The location on Kata Bay is just wonderful and local restaurants at all price elves, make the choice the perfect one.

If you want to see where to eat I have posted some reviews of places we went to as well.

JUst go to the Shore, you won't be disappointed

Room Tip: Nearly all rooms have private pools, some without sea view…… ask for one in the middle rows, of vill...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Martin L
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear Martin L,

thank you very much for taking your time to give us this fantastic Trip Advisor review.

I am glad to read, that you you could relax and recharge your batteries here at the Shore.
Thank you very much for your comment regarding our Staff, Food and Room.
I will let every department know about your positive review.

Regarding your room tip, just let me clarify that all of our villas have a private pool.

We are all looking forward to welcome you back aShore in the near future!!
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

We stayed at the Shore for 5 days after a busy few days in Bangkok. From the second we entered the resort until the last second we left we were constantly blown away with its beauty & the friendliness of all the staff.

We were in room 8825 which had a cheeky partial sea view. The room was absolutely perfect. The attention to detail is phenomenal. The housekeeping was second to none. We loved the turn down service which left you with a small gift each evening.

We arrived on an evening where there was a full moon, and ate in the Harbour restaurant. This was without question the most romantic evening of my lifetime (we are now worried we'll never be able to top this on Honeymoon next year!!!). We had a 6 course meal with wine watching the Chinese lateens fill the sky. We were given a candle/flower arrangement and told to float it on the water for good luck. There was a lady with a guitar singing love songs - it could not have been anymore beautiful!!!

We had breakfast delivered to the room on the first day which was bang on time & gorgeous. The next few days we went down to the Harbour restaurant and the variety and quality of food was outstanding.

All of the staff on the resort were fabulous. The golf buggy guys were always eager to give us a lift & very friendly. We particularly liked the security guy at the main entrance who saluted you and said good morning/afternoon etc when you left or entered the resort.

There is nothing I could fault about this place. Even though the weather was poor & rainy for 3 days of our stay, we still had a great time. There are a number of activities you can do I rainy days - I had great fun in a 2 hour fruit & vegetable carving lesson.

I would defiantly recommend this as a honeymoon destination, or for any type of special occasion!!! The best hotel I have EVER stayed in!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JenifaHaych
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear JenifaHaych,

thank you very much for taking your time to give us this phenomenal Trip Advisor review.

I am glad to read, that you found absolute heaven here at the Shore.
Thank you very much for your comment regarding our Staff, Food and Room.
I will let every department know about your positive review.

I am happy that the Loy Krathong festival left you such a memorible honeymoon.

We are all looking forward to welcome you back aShore in the near future for your coming honeymoon!!
Copacabana, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

My husband and I and two adult sons were lucky enough to be upgraded to The Shore for our last 2 nights of our week long vacation at Katathani Beach Resort which we also loved. We had a 2 bedroom villa with our own infinity pool, a beautiful view over the beach and large enough for us all to have our own space. Every detail of the decor was outstanding, the personal attention and friendliness of the staff and the food was wonderful. I certainly hope to return for a longer stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DebSwim
Dear DebSwim,

thank you very much for taking your time to give us this outstandig review on Trip Advisor.
I am glad to read that your stay was wonderful. Also that you mentioned our friendly staff and the amazing villa.
We are all looking forward to welcome you back aShore in the near future for your next holiday!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kata Beach
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort
Trisara Phuket
Trisara Phuket
#2 of 94 in Thalang District

Been to The Shore at Katathani? Share your experiences!