“Incredible views and immaculate suite!”

The Shore at Katathani
Ranked #1 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Toronto, Canada
“Incredible views and immaculate suite!”
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed at The Shore at Katathani for our honeymoon and thoroughly enjoyed everything about this magnificent property. The hotel consists of private villas on a mountain side facing onto a beautiful (and spotless!) beach. Our room was spectacular (8813) and even though it wasn't too high up, we had plenty of privacy on our balcony and private pool. We also had easy accessibility to the front desk, beach and hotel pool and breakfast areas, which would have been more challenging had we stayed on a higher 'floor' and had to make use of the golf buggies to get around. I would recommend rooms 8813 and 8823 for these reasons and suggest going for a sea view room if you are already splurging on a stay at this property. The service in the hotel was impeccable and I would like to say a special thanks to Austin, our concierge who not only helped us plan our transfer from Phuket to Phi Phi Islands (our destination after The Shore), but also took it upon himself to help us arrange the logistics of the subsequent leg of our trip from Phi Phi to Koh Samui - helping us book a private boat, taxi and ferry transfer at very reasonable prices. Austin also did a great job surprising us with beautiful floral arrangements, sparkling wine, and delicious treats on each day of our stay, which added to our enjoyment of this property. The beach of the hotel was spotless and the water was very clean. A variety of tours, beach activities and entertainment options were available through the hotel, and usually restaurants and entertainment venues would send a complimentary shuttle to pick up hotel guests when arrangements were made through the front desk.The hotel provides an extensive breakfast menu and the pool bar has reasonably priced Thai food that is very well-prepared. Overall, our stay and experience in this beautiful property was excellent and we believe this is one of the best options in Phuket. If there was one small negative to this property then I would say it is the fact that this hotel is located at the very end of Kata Noi road and as such is somewhat far (20-30min walk) to downtown Kata, necessitating a taxi pretty much everywhere. However, this is likely desired by most people who stay here given the privacy and magnificent grounds of this property. The distances by taxi are very reasonable, with Kata Beach downtown a 5min ride away, Karon a 10min ride and the craziness of Patong about 15-20min away via taxi.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Marina P
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
Dear Marina P.

Thank you very much for your incredible review.

I am really happy that you fully enjoued your stay with us. Be assured that I will let Austin know about your special thanks to him. Also thanks a lot for recommend our private seaview villas.

I wish you a hassle free trip back home and hope to welcome you back "aShore" in the near future.

Resort Manager & Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hervey Bay, Australia
Reviewed 14 January 2014

On arrival we were welcomed by friendly staff,offering my husband and I a cold drink and a cool cloth, while we did the check in. Our room was amazingly clean and our view was breathtaking. The staff were very friendly, attentive and went out of their way to make sure our stay was unforgettable. We stayed in room 8862 which was in the first row and we had complete privacy. We had no sound from below and it wasnt far for us to get down stairs. The security guards at the gates always had a smile for us when we passed them every day. The staff at breakfast time, Sara, Hugo, Mae and the chef were all outstanding, you could not ask for more, as the variety was huge and presented so well. Thank you for a pleasant stay and we will be back in the future.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Vicki M
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear Vicki M,

Thank you very much for your breathtaking review.
I am really happy that you fully enjoyed your stay with us. Our team will be very happy that you mentioned them in your comment.

I hope you had a hassle free trip back home and would be glad to welcome you back "aShore" in the near future.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just stayed at The Shore for the first 4 days of our honeymoon....and we were blown away! We had a villa facing the water that had a breathtaking view. It was hard to leave the room as we had everything we needed to enjoy the day, our private lounge area and pool were quite relaxing.

The best part about this hotel is the incredible service. Every single staff member we came in contact with was extremely friendly and helpful. All smiles all the time, it is contagious. Sylvia at the front desk really helped make our stay a memorable one, she helped with spa reservations and dinner reservations even if we were going outside of the complex. We would stop in every morning and chat with her about our excursions etc. from the day before. She was so great.

The facilities are great - the beach is beautiful and quiet, much less crowded than other beaches in the area. The pool was always clean and refreshing. And if the workout room is too small you can use the larger one at the sister hotel which is a 10 min walk or a quick golf cart ride. We even took a Thai boxing class which was fun.

I noticed someone complaining about the food in their review, I will have to disagree. We had a great and filling breakfast each morning along with a great lunch pool side. We thought the food was great. They have a number of options from light salads and sandwiches to traditional Thai dishes- and for breakfast a wide variety of things to try along with eggs made to order.

All in all this was quite a memorable stay and we can only hope to visit The Shore again one day.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jenntref
Dear jenntref,

Thank you very much for your spectacular review and congretulation for your honeymoon.

I am really happy that you fully enjoyed your stay with us, the incredible service and our team. Be assured that I will let Sylvia know about your comment on her.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Katathani Shores is part of hotel complex in Kata Beach and is the most southernly situated hotel at the end of the beach overlooking the beach from a hilltop. the rooms are absolutely breathtaking and include a personal infinity edge pool and sunken sitting area adjacent tot he pool. The wall facing the beach is glass and fully retractable for a spectacular view and feel. I can see. I would guess that there are about 25 of these suites and all occupants have access to the Katathani resort a few hundred yards down the beach.
The pool area is elegant and while the hotel was well booked we never ran into more than one or two couple in the common areas. To that point this is most definitely a couples place. The staff was friendly and I was happy with my stay.
The down side is that the food at the hotel was just not good. I am not so mean spirited to say it was bad but I might have stayed in the room my entire stay if not for the poor food. It was easily remedied by going just down the beach to Mon Tri's kitchen (trust me the name sounds hokey but its fine dining in a casual atmosphere)
The other problem was the sun....none of the beautiful personal pools got direct sun at all, not in the morning or the afternoon. You can however go down tot he pool and get all the sun you want so this too is easily remedied. the last problem (for me) was location. Kata Beach is about 30 south of Pa Tong and that is where the real action was.

If you are on your honeymoon and you want to be alone this might be the perfect place for you but if you want to be near any nightlife I would have to say to stay at one of the gated hotels in Pa Tong. I assure you that you will not be disappointed with this hotel but there are much better options for the price.
Glad I went there? Yes.
Would I go back? No.
Would I recommend it to somebody else? It would be hard to based on the other options. if you want to be in the secluded cove but want to be a little closer to town and have sun on your patio try the Villa Royale. If you are looking for any nightlife Pa Tong has a ton of options.

Room Tip: In fairness all the rooms look great the only downside was the lack of sun on the patio/personal poo...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank housmony_10
Dear housmony_10,

Thank you very much for having taken time to write us this review.

I am very happy that you think our villas are breathtaking and our team is glad that you mentioned them in your positive review.

Regarding your comments about the food I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. I have already spoken to our chef and please be assured that we will do our best and work on constant improvement.
Our Sea View Pool Villas are designed to ensure amazing views of the sunset over the bay of Kata Noi while as you noted for more intensive sunbathing on hotel grounds, the area around the pool is the perfect location.

The Shore is the ideal place for couples, honeymooners and everyone who is looking for serenity and a relaxing time in one of the most unique and beautiful surroundings in Phuket. The nightlife of Patong can be however easily reached by either our shuttle bus service or a 20-minute ride with taxi or TukTuk as well as other destinations around the Island.

Once again we sincerely appreciate your comments and hope to welcome you back "aShore" on another occasion.

Yours sincerely,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed for two nights in December 2013. So wonderful, but way too short! The best hotel on Phuket. Hands down! Close enough to action, but far enough away to avoid the busy night life if you want to! We were upgraded to the two bedroom villa and loved every minute of our stay. I did read the reviews regarding the gentlemen who drove the golf carts. We had no issues, though we did tend to tip them since our villa was at the very top of the hill! We arranged for breakfast to be delivered to the room each morning. The service was amazing. The breakfast was the best we encountered in our 2 week trip to Thailand. Dining on the patio/deck with Kata Beach as the view was heavenly! Only negative is the infinity pool was shaded most of the day leaving the water a little chilly. When we return to Phuket, this is our place! If your more of a luxury budget traveler watch for special rates on their website for a deal! Our original room reservation was around 500 a night. The perfect place for honeymooners!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Baldwin996
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Baldwin996,

thank you very much for your review. I am glad that you had an excellent stay.
I will also inform the staff about your positive comment.

Regarding the chilly water in your infinity pool, please be informed that due to enviromental safety, the aircon is connected to the pool heater. So if the aircon is not running, the pool will be not heated. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

I hope you had a hassle free trip back home and hope to welcome you back aShore in the near future.

Sitges, Spain
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We spent a week there and we loved every minute of our stay!
Excellent view, romantic, great service, classy!
The ocean-view pool villas are amazing. Not only from the architectonical point of view but ambiance as well. We spent hours just looking at the beach, sunsets or the stars. Waking up every morning was a dream :)
The hotel spoil you with a welcome breakfast at your villa that you probably will never forget.
The little & big details from the housekeeping staff make your day.
They offer pick-up service in your room or in nearby restaurants from the same hotel chain.
They have several classes for free: vegetable carving, yoga, cocktail mixing, Thai language. For me they were a great way to learn more from the culture and of letting the staff share their knowledge and make a contribution.
Well done!

Room Tip: I highly reecommend first row pool villas
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank AnaSarmiento
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear AnaSarmiento,

Thank you very much for your review. I am very happy that you enjoyed every minute of your so much. I will let our staff know about your good comment and also about the villa. We are all looking forward to welcome you back aShore in the near future!!
Sincerely yours
Resort Manager
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 December 2013

My new husband and I stayed here as part of our Honeymoon in Thailand. We absolutely loved everything about the hotel. Their service, the views, the food were all amazing. We loved our sea view villa in addition to the beautiful views from the infinity pool. We ate almost every meal at the hotel and there is more than enough good food to choose from; even ate the same place for dinner (The Harbor) twice because there were so many food choices in addition to the perfect ambiance. We totally recommend this hotel to any couple; especially for a perfect honeymoon.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AllisonEisenEshet
Dear AllisonEisenEshet,

Thank you very much for your kind review.
I am very happy to read that you had a amazing and perfect honeymoon. Thank you very much for your kind compliments towards our Villa, service and our restaurant.
We are all looking forward to welcome you back “aShore” in the near future for another amazing stay!

Sincerely yours

Katathani Phuket Beach Resort
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 328 in Patong

Been to The Shore at Katathani? Share your experiences!