“Amazing views and wonderful staff”

The Shore at Katathani
Ranked #2 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Dublin
“Amazing views and wonderful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I stayed here for a week as part of my honeymoon. So I'm going to put this review in terms of pros and cons:

Pros:
- We stayed in an ocean view villa and it was worth every penny. The views were simply magnificent every single morning and with so many windows/sliding doors you can pretty much always see the beach and ocean.
- The room isn't super modern but it's very pretty and well looked after.
- The staff were fantastic. So so helpful and happy to go out of their way to help at all times. Little gifts are left in your room every day (flowers, a cake etc). Very thoughtful.
- The beach is only a couple of minutes walk away

Cons:
- I didn't like the food at all. Yes the breakfast looks great but unfortunately the taste doesn't match. We only ate breakfast at the hotel twice. I also tried it for dinner one night but wasn't at all blown away so we ventured into town instead and found two fantastic places:
(1) Horn grill steakhouse
(2) Mom Tri's kitchen
- Location wise it's away from the hustle and bustle of the town so if you're after peace and quiet then this is the perfect location for you. If on the other hand you want to go into town, be prepared to pay for a taxi in and out every single day.

In summary I don't regret staying here because I did feel well looked after and the views were phenomenal. However for the price we paid, I'd have expected the food (and in particular breakfast) to have been of a much higher quality.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear TropicalPlaces25,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write this review. I am happy to read that you had a very good stay here at the Shore and will in particular forward your appreciation of our staff to all departments as a direct feedback.

Regarding your expectations on our food I am sorry that our breakfast and dinner didn’t impress you. Please be assured that I will pass your comments to our Chef and discuss options how we can improve it in the future.

I hope you had a hassle free trip back home and am looking forward to welcome you back “aShore” in the near future.

Assistant Resort Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

This hotel has a great position and stunning views.

Due to booking in late and at peak season we took a pool villa without an ocean view. I would not recommend this as you really loose the effect of the location and your view is basically jungle and or other villas.

The room is stunning large open bathroom tops it off with both claw foot bath and shower

Staff were exceptionally helpful and quick with service.

Having stayed in many of the top resorts in Phuket this place just misses a little. it's a beautiful hotel but lacks little of the intimacy due to be part of the larger hotel complex.

The hotel has a good gym and the main pool is stunning.

It is located on a public beach if you want real isolation there are other options in Phuket but you trade proximity to patong

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Sydneyboys
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Sydneyboys,

Thank you very much your recent review about your experience here at the Shore.

It is great that your overall stay was very good and please be assured that I will pass your excellent comments about our staff to each department concerned.

I am sorry that we could not fully meet your expectations in terms of privacy and intimacy. As you mentioned while a few other properties around Phuket can offer an almost private beach and an even stronger isolation, there are other negative points attached to it.

As for the location in fact our most common feedback about the is an appreciation for being far enough from Patong to not be disturbed by the nightlife over there while still being close enough to visit the nightlife area whenever someone might feel like it.

I hope you had a hassle free trip back home and hope to welcome you back “aShore” in the near future.

Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed at The Shore for 3 days and it was the most amazing 3 days we spent in Thailand! The service was 5 star, the room service breakfast is out of this world, views are amazing, the rooms are perfectly designed and appointed, and the private pools are a great touch. We enjoyed the hotel infinity pool as well as the beach but it is so nice to have your own private pool and sun bathing area. Restaurants on the property are ok, not exceptional. The bar does a pretty fair job as far as Thailand goes - fun, fruity drinks and happy hour specials! We also snorkeled right off the beach around the shore and found it to be fairly good. Our snorkeling trips were cancelled due to wind and waves but we were able to snorkel in the cove where it was calm enough and saw some beautiful fish! We also booked couples massages and they were hands down the best we had during our two weeks in Thailand. The gift shop also has some great pieces at reasonable prices. If you want a few days to splurge this is the place to do it!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Bellaonthemove,
Thank you very much for taking your time to write this review.
I am really happy that you found a little piece of heaven.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I am writing this from the library at the resort as i coulnt wait to get home to write how amazing a time we have had. We have had the luck of travelling a lot in our lives and both my wife and I were amazed when we first arrived. Unlike a (very few) others who seem critical, we can safely leave here knowing that we had an amazing honeymoon and all efforts were made to make it extra special. Check-in was delightful, the room was WOW (we went for the highest villa possible with breathtaking views (8851)) and the service was impeccable. When they found out it was my birthday we got a special cake waiting for us on our return from an excursion. Was such a nice touch and was so not expected. My wife hadnt even made a fuss about my birthday but had just made a passing remark to someone that it was a birthday as well as a honeymoon.
We had tours explained thoroughly and buggy'ed around the whole resort at our convenience. Yes the prices are not cheap... but neither is the place! Thoroughly recommended and can see us returning to celebrate more in years to come.

Room Tip: As high as you can!!!! 8851 was highest
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Shahabmirjafari,
Thank you very much for taking your time to write this review.
I am really happy that you enjoy your honeymoon and your birthday with us.
Be assured that I will pass your good comments to every department.
As you are still in the resort, please enjoy the rest of your holiday. If you need anything or have any request, feel free to contact me any time.

Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

We were attending a wedding at Katathani Beach Resort and had booked here. We were upgraded to the Shore which are villas situated on the same site. The experience is one of the best in my entire travels( which are extensive). The staff were exceptional in all aspects kind, thoughtful and obliging. The Harbour restaurant for breakfast was magical the waiting staff funny and attentive ( just what you want on holiday). What an amazing place for a honeymoon or a well deserved break.

Room Tip: We had the 1 bedroom villa with the pool. Double up with friends and get the 2 bedroom villa. We had...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Michelle P,
Thank you very much for taking your time to write this review.
I am really happy that you and your partner enjoyed your stay with us.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

The Shores is a beautiful hotel, but definitely quite up there with other 5 star hotels. When we checked in, the horrendous looking swan petrified me.Come on it's 2014, only 3 star shabby looking places still use this gimmick. Food was ok,no WOW factor, simply average. Shouldn't call itself 5 star. Sharing facilities with other 2 other hotels that charge half the deal does not leave a good impression. To top it off the GM lacks the charm and personality that makes/ breaks a 5 star hotel. Can't even remember the name that forgettable. You can find other 5 star in the same price range with a better overall experience.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wilfred U
Dear Wilfred U,

Thank you very much for having taken time to share your recent experience here at the Shore through TripAdvisor.

I am sorry that we could not fully meet your expectations. Please allow me to comment on some of your remarks that I feel require a little bit more detail:

The Shore does not share its facilities with the nearby allocated sister hotel, the Katathani Phuket Beach Resort. It is an independent property with the guests having the privilege of being able to also use all facilities of Katathani. The guests from Katathani however do not have this privilege vice versa and can only visit The Shore under special circumstances with a prior registration and a case to case permission from management.

I also like to apologize that after my introduction and offer to support you on any request during your stay we didn’t have the opportunity to get to know each other a little bit better which might have left you with another impression then the one as described.

Our team and myself hope you had a hassle free trip back home and would very much appreciate you giving us another chance to follow up on your expectations and holiday arrangements on another occasion.

Yours Sincerely
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Firstly, whatta place - it certainly helped deliver what I would class as our best vacation to Thailand yet!

We had our own Sea View Villa which overlooked Kata Noi, complete with our own pool. The view in itself was mesmerizing, let alone the actual villa! The bed was comfortable with three pillow options (yes!); the bathroom and shower were clean with good water pressure; the WiFi was available and speedy.

Service - second to none. You really felt like you were royalty at The Shore. Staff were attentive, service-orientated, generous and welcoming. My partner was on a strict eating plan which the resort accommodate each day with ease (meals six times a day!). The Site Manager, Sven, checked in daily to ensure we were having the best time possible.

Value - yes, it's certainly not the cheapest option around - but you certainly get what you pay for. Every penny was well worth it across the seven nights we stayed.

Other points to note: concierge were great (Sylvia was fabulous) booking cars when needed, offering alternative options, etc. The staff at The Harbour (where breakfast/lunch was served) were also great, offering expert levels of service that certainly made you feel like royalty.

Gym facilities were also good (you can use those at The Shore or the main facilities at Katathani).

Whilst it's at Kata Noi, just south of Kata Beach, it was the perfect location for a romantic week away. It was close enough to everything (five mins by taxi to Kata Beach, 15-20 mins by taxi to Patong), yet still far enough to remain peaceful and luxurious.

We will be back, that's a given!

Room Tip: Go for the Sea View Villa - it is worth the extra cash! You won't regret it.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Stan_Savellis.
Thank you very much for taking your time to write this review.
I am really happy that you and your partner enjoyed your stay with us. It was a pleasure to have you had here with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kata Beach
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort
Trisara Phuket
Trisara Phuket
#2 of 95 in Thalang District

Been to The Shore at Katathani? Share your experiences!