“Didn't want to leave”

The Shore at Katathani
Ranked #1 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We loved this hotel. We had a poolside villa, with partial ocean view. Very clean, ver comfy. Villas are positioned in a way that everything feels very private. Staff are very friendly. The hotel has staff who drive you round the resort in little gold carts. Villas are built into the side of a hill, so staying here may be an issue for those people with mobility issues. A private car from our hotel to phuket town was 550 baht. This hotel is a bit out of the way...about 15-20mins walk to Kata, also metered taxi's are near by. There are a few shops nearby, minimarts, pharmacy, tailors, massage palours, restaurants etc. room service was good, as was the hotel restaurant. The buffet breakfast has everything you could want, including great coffee. If you like to be close to the action, then this is not the place for you. But if you want somewhere private and quiet to stay, then this is the place for you. Attention to detail and quality of room was up to a european standard in my opinion. We loved our room and were sad to leave. A big thank you to the friendly staff for looking after us during our stay :)

Room Tip: Beach view room
2  Thank AnnaCatharina2001
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear AnnaCatharina2001,

Thank you very much for taking your time to share your experience here at the Shore. I am really happy to read that you had a great stay. Be assured that I will pass your comment to all concerning departments.
I hope you had a hassle free trip back home and hope to welcome you back “aShore” in the near future.

There are newer reviews for The Shore at Katathani

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Our second time to visit the Shore and once again we are blown away by this location. The reviews do not lie. Once again, we booked a one bedroom sea view pool Villa. Check in is very smooth, including welcome, buggy to villa.

First class accommodation, wonderful views from room, very spacious in bedroom, bathrooms, storage and outdoor lounge area. The pool is of a good size for couples to cool down, relax and take in the spectacular coastline. The coffee machine is most welcome in the villas for those who like to rise and shine with a decent coffee. The wifi is not a problem, with very good reception available throughout the resort.

The only difference between our visit two years ago and this time, would be the efficiency of the airconditioning (less effective and a littler noisier), as well as the housekeeping. Whilst the housekeeping was efficient and the villa was kept very clean, with a good supply of towels and fresh linen, we did not see some of the smaller touches that we experienced on our first visit. Nevertheless, we were quite ok with the cleanliness of the villa.

We dined at the Shore restaurant every night (including two nights with room service). The staff at the shore restaurant are excellent and this includes the breakfast and evening staff, as well as those delivering room service. The food at the restaurant is good (not excellent) however the staff go out of their way to accommodate individual food requests. We ordered specific dishes for breakfast with no problem at all. We would however, like to see more authentic Thai dishes on the menu for dinner.

The spa is very good and worth mentioning for spa packages and massages.

The shore is definitely a place to unpack, relax and take time out from a busy world.

Thank you to the Shore management and staff for a very relaxing holiday. See you next time!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brizzy_Family
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Brizzy_Family,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write us this review. I am really happy to read that your second stay also did meet your expectation.
Please be assured that I will pass your comments to all the departments.
Regarding the Aircon, I already talked to the Engineering department to recheck the Aircon system in your room.
I hope you had a hassle free trip back home and hope to welcome you back “aShore” for your third stay.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is our second trip to Thailand having previously visited Six Senses Koh Samui. The Shore lived up to expectation of accommodation although we did need maintenance on our air conditioning and 3 out of our 4 pool villa lights needed fixing on our request. Clearly, a checklist is not used to check each room! Room 8822 was our pool villa for 2 weeks the best by far!

Unfortunately, the food massively let's the resort down and I would advise against half board or full board. Be warned it is not full or half board as you might expect but simply an allowance of 750 THB per person per meal, and is often not enough to cover a main meal! Be ready to put your hand in your pocket! When we stayed one of the restaurants was closed, but to be honest it made no difference all the food was bland and not very good for Thai cuisine. Our local UK Thai restaurant offers more choice, better value and better taste.

The Spa is not part of the hotel and is not that impressive. We had a treatment each and they were over priced and under delivered.

The Shore has a lot to improve on food and frankly is depressing. Breakfast buffet was really awful with nothing freshly cooked and could well of been sitting there for hours.

Room Tip: Pool villa 8822
3  Thank Andrew C

Dear Andrew C,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. We are delighted our accommodation lived up to your expectations and to see your recommendation for the villa #8822 to other readers. However it is very much regrettable that allover your stay has been not satisfying.

Your comments regarding maintenance, spa and our food & beverage departments have been well noted and please be assured the management will take further action to ensure all areas are improved.

Regarding the full-board, please accept our sincerest apologies for the kitchen and full-board arrangements not having met your standards. As already discussed personally with you, the full-board is an option that is meeting the requirements of most our guests who decided to book it and comes with a variety of set-menus in Thai and Western food that will cover an appetizer and the main dish exactly without any additional charges. For those who would like to go a la carte instead a credit is granted and if the value is above then simply the price difference is to be settled separately. Therefore the full-board option is not to be confused with all-inclusive which is not offered at The Shore.

Once again thank you very much for your comments. We will take this opportunity to work on future improvements and hope to welcome you back to The Shore on another occasion.

With kindest regards,

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Based on reviews, we chose here for a relaxation trip. It really fits what we imagine. We stayed at the highest level And have a perfect view of the beach, waves coming in and the opposite cliff. Staff are all very warm to heart. Their every gesture made us feel very welcome. They greet us by our names and even pass me a rose handicraft made by leaves. I'm sure that's not standard package because the staff was resting at her leisure time but since We were passing by while check out, she hand me the handicraft she just made. Hubby loves everything except the last day when we have to wait a while to get the buggy. There was only one buggy driver for that day. Perhaps the hotel can look into more buggy to serve the guests.

Room Tip: Highest level comes with privacy but also the need to climb lots stairs but it's worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Jessica812823,

Thank you very much for taking your time write this review. I am very happy to read that you had a great stay. Be assured that I will pass your comment to all departments.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Spent 6 nights at The Shore and thoroughly enjoyed everything about our stay. All the staff at reception, cleaning and in the dining area were amazing and couldn't so enough to make our stay perfect. Would highly recommend it.
Thank you all at The Shore.

Room Tip: We had a sea facing villa with spectacular views
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Pam S
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Pam S,

Thank you very much for your review. I am very happy to read that you had a great stay.
Be assured that I will pass your comment to all departments.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

This is my first review on TripAdvisor, and whilst myself and my wife have been lucky enough to stay in some fantastic hotels, and we always have good intentions of reviewing on TA for the benefit of other visitors, The Shore REALLY deserves a review.

What a stunning place. The rooms are simply beautiful. We stayed in room 8893 which is quite high and has a stunning view of the bay. It is also far enough from the ocean so that you're not kept awake at night by the crashing waves, which could, I imagine, be a problem at this time of the year when the South West monsoon winds are blowing. each room is completely private and from what I could make out, not overlooked by any other room. the rooms are massive and the private infinity pool and veranda areas are great for relaxing and in our case, attracted the sun for most of the day. What a great place for a champagne breakfast.

The location is also outstanding. Phuket as an island is very developed and Patong is very seedy should just be avoided by anyone over the age of 30, and this overdevelopmen stretches down the coast to Kata. The Shore is however on a bay which it shares with its sister hotel, The Katathani, as a consequence, it's seems to be set in its own little area of paradise.

However, without question, what sets The Shore aside is the attention of its staff and their unrivalled personal service. It is the little things that set fantastic hotels aside from good ones. To put this into context, I am currently writing this review in a Starwoods Luxury collection hotel in Koh Samui where I have a villa with a private pool, it is a very good hotel, but it is not fantastic in the way The Shore is simply because the little things are missing-
- The staff at the shore remember our names from the beginning, helped I'm sure by the photo they take when you check in. Clever.
- They remember the room you're in.
- I have a nut allergy which we advised them with our booking (this was remembered throughout our stay, even to the extent of changing the welcome drink that normally has cashews in it and (strangely I'd admit) removing baked beans from my breakfast)
- we were here for our anniversary. ALL staff remembered the actual day, congratulated us and as for the decorations in our room.....
- a bit of a mix up with our champagne breakfast, which we'd paid THB 4000 for (it came on the first day instead of our anniversary) was rectified with a free champagne breakfast on our actual anniversary without any hesitation.
- the service in the onsite Harbour restaurant, where breakfast is served is outstanding.

The reception team deserve a very special mention and especially Walailuk who checked us in and seemed to be willing to always go that extra mile. Simply outstanding.

Of course, The Shore isn't cheap so you might argue, that at USD 550 per night for a room in low season, you could expect this type of service.

As I say though, it is the little things that make the difference. I'm currently in a hotel where I'm paying USD 1100 per night. It's good, but The Shore is fantastic. One of the best for service that I've ever stayed in......

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ian J

Dear Ian J,

Thank you very much for your taking your time to write about your experience at the Shore. I am very happy to read that you had a great stay. Congratulations again for your anniversary. It was a pleasure for us to have you had here. Be assured that I will pass your overwhelming comment to all departments, they will be happy to know that you enjoyed our service so much.
I hope you had a hassle free trip back home and hope to welcome you back “aShore” in the near future for another amazing stay.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

relaxing, clean- loved it! the bed was very comfy; the room was spacious and the room service was fast and efficient. thank you I will define telly stay here again and I would recommed to my friends!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Dan L
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Dan L,

Thank you very much for your review. I am really happy to read that you had a great stay.
Please be assured that I will pass your positive comments to all concerning departments.
I hope you had a hassle free trip back home and hope to welcome you back soon “aShore”.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kata Beach
Mom Tri's Villa Royale
Mom Tri's Villa Royale
#2 of 56 in Kata Beach
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort

Been to The Shore at Katathani? Share your experiences!