“Amazing Holiday”

Ranked #1 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Phuket Town, Thailand
“Amazing Holiday”
Reviewed 19 December 2010

My stay at The shore was by far one of my most memorable holidays! From the moment we arrived the staff were so helpful and always willing to be of assistance nothing was to much to ask from them. I have worked in 5 star resorts so i know the level and quality that i should be receiving as a guest and The Shore defiantly met my expectations.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2010

Great hotel, was so pleased we chose this resort. Really romantic getaway, recommend to all looking to get away from it all. Villas are lush, cutiepie restaurant and location private. Would love to return next year.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johntwo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2010

We had the best holiday ever at The Shore, everything was perfect. Villa was fab, stylish with all the mod cons and we had the best view of the ocean. The sunken outdoor seating by our pool was great for relaxing and reading the paper. Loved the beach and easy access to local life at Kata Centre - great shopping! A big thank you to all the staff, they really made out stay memorable, so friendly.

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 16 December 2010

We stayed for 5 nights at The Shore. We had a villa on the top of the hill with an extraordinary view, covering a wide angle and far reaching area. Service was very, very friendly, even during heavy rain. Despite this heavy rain showers, transportation never failed (except when the battery of the cart was low and yes, you need the buggy service, it can be quite steep and a long way). The Shore is part of the large Katathani Resort with access to all the facilities (and restaurants - Fisherman's Wharf and the Thai restaurants are very good).
The villas were new, spacious and well equipped; enough space and nice covered outside balcony to protect for bad weather. The pool of the villa was not large but fun because of the view. Since the hotel was at a stage of soft opening, construction was still ongoing but never disturbed and did not cause any noise. The beach during our visit was only accessible through the Katathani Resort and not directly from the hotel. Also the restaurant of The Shore was rather small (which cases sometimes problems at breakfast) but counts with a very nice view over the beach, particularly for a drink in the evening.
Overall we enjoyed our stay very much; very friendly, customer oriented and efficient service, quiet location and big, well equipped rooms - would definitively return. We had a good feeling about the villas.

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 13 December 2010

Alright- let me start by saying that I travel all the time, and know that 5 stars means something different in every country. However- when you're charging the prices that The Shore is, you have GOT to make sure that at least the basics are on par with what most travelers expect. The Shore doesnt even come close to measuring up to a true 5 star hotel. When I (tried) to check in, they said I didn't have a reservation. Get this- after accusing me of not having a reservation (I spelled out the name the reservation was under at least 6 times- but still nothing) they actually had me come around and use their computers to print out my confirmation page! As if this wasn't appauling enough, after I'd done their job for them, they then showed me to my room- which was a "Sea View" room.
Nope. You could see the ocean, but it was nothing like the pics on the website. I requested to be moved to an ACTUAL seaview room, and alas, the new room did in fact have a breathtaking view of the Andaman. However, thats where the good ended.
There was standing water- complete with a huge dead mosquito- in the bathtub. This was never cleaned or drained in the three days I stayed- just completely ignored. And, directly outside my room, there was an enormous bucket of cleaning supplies- that was never removed- until I told them to please remove it! Are you kidding me? I felt like I was at the local Super 8 !!! The first night, I ordered room service- and I had to TELL the manager that the plates had been sitting outside my door for over a day. Lets get to the food:
Awful. I ordered in a lot because I just wanted to relax, expecting that maybe the next dish would be better than the last.
Nope. The Prawn and Avacado salad looked like a Wendys salad- zero taste- and all the Thai dishes had been "Westernized" so that they were bland and tasteless. This is not 5 star food- or even 3 star. The breakfast was OK, although they forgot to bring out my pancakes TWO days in a row! The spread at AVISTA down the road made The Shores breakfast look like a bad Dennys buffet. Oh- and heres the best part:
Upon returning from the beach one day, I was told "Madame, we are sorry, but there may be workers in your room. We tried to call you but you werent there. You'll have to wait to go back to your room until theyre done". Thats when Id had it and called the manager, who thankfully made sure there were no workers in my room!
SERIOUSLY? Who says that to a guest? "Sorry, weve decided to work on your room, so youre out of luck!".
The manager gave me a massage and a dinner (at their atrociously bad restaurant) to try to make up for the situation, but when that many things go wrong, a good manager would either:
-Offer a complimentary stay when theyd learned how to be an actual 5 star hotel
-Offer to pay for at least one night of the guests stay

But not here! I actually had to TELL the manager that they should do something- anything- to keep me from completely losing it.
The only good thing I can say is that the management and staff were very courteous-they allowed me to check out after 3 nights with no penalty- unforetunelety, they were also CLUELESS.
My suggestion?
Check into AViSTA, on the other end of the beach. Get the One Bedroom Suite, pay half the price, get the same service, and waaaay better food and restaurant options nearby.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
10 Thank rachel88888
Bangkok
Reviewed 12 December 2010

Just got back from The Shore. Absolutely Gorgeous and Beautiful. Good food, Good Service, Good Room & View. What else do you want for a holiday! Highlights? Breakfast with panoramic view of the sparkling blue Kata noi sea and yes Breakfast is by order and it is served to the table. I can stay in my room all day overlooking the sea and hearing the sounds of the wave, very relaxing. Only thing is they need to beef up the Wine selection list in room and the in-room menu.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Katathani1, Resort Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this review, 16 December 2010
Dear tempuri, thank you very much for your positive comment. We hope to welcome you back to The Shore in the near future again.
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 11 December 2010

We stayed for 6 nights at The Shore and it was a fantastic end to a 2 week stay in Phuket. The rooms are spacious, modern, light and lounging by our private pool each afternoon was wonderful. The bed was very comfortable (I have a very bad back so good beds are important).

The staff were super friendly, we got to know the wonderful security guard Suthep as he helped us get oujr scooter each day.

The breakfast is the best I've had in a Kata resort. The pancakes can't be beat. The hot parts of breakfast (coffee, eggs, omelettes, pancakes, bacon, etc) are all made to order so you get a fresh meal - no stale pancakes or old rubbery eggs! And the view is just awesome.

On our last day we ate lunch at the Harbour restaurant. This is where you have breakfast. The food was delicious.

We used the gym equipment and it was the best we've used in any of the Kata resorts. Plus a lady dropped in at the end of our workout with water and cold towels. Perfect!

For the price I was expecting top service and amenities. I wasn't disappointed. The only thing I would change is next time we're getting an Ocean View room.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
#2 of 322 in Patong
Trisara Phuket
Trisara Phuket
#2 of 95 in Thalang District

Been to The Shore at Katathani? Share your experiences!