“Nice holidays in a great - but little overpriced - hotel”

The Shore at Katathani
Ranked #1 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Reviewed 28 December 2010

We spent our honeymoon at the Shore (6 nights). We had a great time, and we appreciated a lot the exotic atmosphere of the location. However, I would like to mention some points that could be improved in order to render the hotel worth its price:

It's not fair for some (few) customers, like us, to have a big tree as an obstacle of the breathtaking seaview. We noticed from the beach, at our third day, that most of the rooms had an open seaview, except from ours and a couple more. We asked if we could move to another room, but the one available was not better, so we remained in ours. It wasn't a big deal but to be honest it was a bit annoying when considering our unluck.

The sleep quality was not so great. The king bed was very comfortable but the problem was with the mosquitos. You could either choose to sleep without the air condition (actually it wasn't so hot) but then you would suffer from the mosquitos. Or you could open the a/c (it was a little bit noisy), cover with the duvet, but then having a throat problem in the morning because of the dry air.

During a couple of nights, we had visits from a few (big and flying) cockroaches and spiders. We informed the reception and they provided us with a baygon in order to flit. The incidents occured, not in the room where there are glass windows and doors but in the bathroom and toillet area. The problem in my opinion is that the wooden floor leave some spaces from where the insects can enter and exit. Also from the windows that are not safeguarded by glass.

The restaurant was at a nice and romantic location (by the pool, overlooking the sea). The food quality was good but very expensive. The breakfast buffet was ok, although with not a big variety.

The roof at the private pool in the room was too short so it wasn't protecting the sun deck from the rain. The pool didn't have some nice lightning for the evening (like candles), except for the side of the sun deck.

The staff, with a few exceptions, didn't really speak English, which made communication a little bit problematic. On the other hand, we have no complaints since everybody was very kind and willing to help.

One, by reading this review, might think that it wasn't a great hotel. Actually it was! The design of the room, the brand new furniture, the space, the view, everything was spectacular! And believe me, i made a big research in the internet for hotels. Some were indifferent, some were old fashioned (kitsch), some in a bad location... The Shore was very good.

The only objection is the price. If you want to charge 400 or 500 euros per night you must be almost perfect...

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nick111210

Reviewed 19 December 2010

My stay at The shore was by far one of my most memorable holidays! From the moment we arrived the staff were so helpful and always willing to be of assistance nothing was to much to ask from them. I have worked in 5 star resorts so i know the level and quality that i should be receiving as a guest and The Shore defiantly met my expectations.

Reviewed 18 December 2010

Great hotel, was so pleased we chose this resort. Really romantic getaway, recommend to all looking to get away from it all. Villas are lush, cutiepie restaurant and location private. Would love to return next year.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johntwo
Reviewed 18 December 2010

We had the best holiday ever at The Shore, everything was perfect. Villa was fab, stylish with all the mod cons and we had the best view of the ocean. The sunken outdoor seating by our pool was great for relaxing and reading the paper. Loved the beach and easy access to local life at Kata Centre - great shopping! A big thank you to all the staff, they really made out stay memorable, so friendly.

Reviewed 16 December 2010

We stayed for 5 nights at The Shore. We had a villa on the top of the hill with an extraordinary view, covering a wide angle and far reaching area. Service was very, very friendly, even during heavy rain. Despite this heavy rain showers, transportation never failed (except when the battery of the cart was low and yes, you need the buggy service, it can be quite steep and a long way). The Shore is part of the large Katathani Resort with access to all the facilities (and restaurants - Fisherman's Wharf and the Thai restaurants are very good).
The villas were new, spacious and well equipped; enough space and nice covered outside balcony to protect for bad weather. The pool of the villa was not large but fun because of the view. Since the hotel was at a stage of soft opening, construction was still ongoing but never disturbed and did not cause any noise. The beach during our visit was only accessible through the Katathani Resort and not directly from the hotel. Also the restaurant of The Shore was rather small (which cases sometimes problems at breakfast) but counts with a very nice view over the beach, particularly for a drink in the evening.
Overall we enjoyed our stay very much; very friendly, customer oriented and efficient service, quiet location and big, well equipped rooms - would definitively return. We had a good feeling about the villas.

Reviewed 13 December 2010

Alright- let me start by saying that I travel all the time, and know that 5 stars means something different in every country. However- when you're charging the prices that The Shore is, you have GOT to make sure that at least the basics are on par with what most travelers expect. The Shore doesnt even come close to measuring up to a true 5 star hotel. When I (tried) to check in, they said I didn't have a reservation. Get this- after accusing me of not having a reservation (I spelled out the name the reservation was under at least 6 times- but still nothing) they actually had me come around and use their computers to print out my confirmation page! As if this wasn't appauling enough, after I'd done their job for them, they then showed me to my room- which was a "Sea View" room.
Nope. You could see the ocean, but it was nothing like the pics on the website. I requested to be moved to an ACTUAL seaview room, and alas, the new room did in fact have a breathtaking view of the Andaman. However, thats where the good ended.
There was standing water- complete with a huge dead mosquito- in the bathtub. This was never cleaned or drained in the three days I stayed- just completely ignored. And, directly outside my room, there was an enormous bucket of cleaning supplies- that was never removed- until I told them to please remove it! Are you kidding me? I felt like I was at the local Super 8 !!! The first night, I ordered room service- and I had to TELL the manager that the plates had been sitting outside my door for over a day. Lets get to the food:
Awful. I ordered in a lot because I just wanted to relax, expecting that maybe the next dish would be better than the last.
Nope. The Prawn and Avacado salad looked like a Wendys salad- zero taste- and all the Thai dishes had been "Westernized" so that they were bland and tasteless. This is not 5 star food- or even 3 star. The breakfast was OK, although they forgot to bring out my pancakes TWO days in a row! The spread at AVISTA down the road made The Shores breakfast look like a bad Dennys buffet. Oh- and heres the best part:
Upon returning from the beach one day, I was told "Madame, we are sorry, but there may be workers in your room. We tried to call you but you werent there. You'll have to wait to go back to your room until theyre done". Thats when Id had it and called the manager, who thankfully made sure there were no workers in my room!
SERIOUSLY? Who says that to a guest? "Sorry, weve decided to work on your room, so youre out of luck!".
The manager gave me a massage and a dinner (at their atrociously bad restaurant) to try to make up for the situation, but when that many things go wrong, a good manager would either:
-Offer a complimentary stay when theyd learned how to be an actual 5 star hotel
-Offer to pay for at least one night of the guests stay

But not here! I actually had to TELL the manager that they should do something- anything- to keep me from completely losing it.
The only good thing I can say is that the management and staff were very courteous-they allowed me to check out after 3 nights with no penalty- unforetunelety, they were also CLUELESS.
My suggestion?
Check into AViSTA, on the other end of the beach. Get the One Bedroom Suite, pay half the price, get the same service, and waaaay better food and restaurant options nearby.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
10  Thank rachel88888
Reviewed 12 December 2010

Just got back from The Shore. Absolutely Gorgeous and Beautiful. Good food, Good Service, Good Room & View. What else do you want for a holiday! Highlights? Breakfast with panoramic view of the sparkling blue Kata noi sea and yes Breakfast is by order and it is served to the table. I can stay in my room all day overlooking the sea and hearing the sounds of the wave, very relaxing. Only thing is they need to beef up the Wine selection list in room and the in-room menu.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Katathani1, Resort Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2010

Dear tempuri, thank you very much for your positive comment. We hope to welcome you back to The Shore in the near future again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kata Beach
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 329 in Patong

Been to The Shore at Katathani? Share your experiences!